Sangean 803A going mental

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Bassman
Regular
Regular

Sangean 803A going mental

Post by Bassman »

Hi there.Can anybody please tell me why the digital readout on my Sangean has suddenly taken on a life of it's own?When I switch it on in the mornings it''s fine.But the second I touch the tuning knob it's away!I've watched as it descends several Mhz in 5khz steps entirely on it's own.And theres no stopping it!It's OK after a while but it's still very erratic at times e.g.jumping 10khz when you only want to move 1 khz.It's a pity cos' its a good little receiver the rest of the time.

Anybody?Image???
Keep Music Live!!
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

Never having owned the Sangean this is based upon a quick net search.
eHam.net reviews are alays a good place to start & there is no mention of anything other than poor tuning on a set not used a lot.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2814

But thee was mention of lots of mods being available so I searched mods & found this.

I have one "complaint" about my Sangean ATS-803a that I wonder if others have -- that is periodically it decides on its own to start changing frequencies, usually moving up and away from whatever I'm listening to.

I've had that problem several times before, and was able to find 2 reasons:

(1) static electricity in the immediate area, such as on myself. Then when I touch the radio to adjust the volume, for example, it suddenly starts in scan-mode!

(2) here's a strange one: whenever changing the backup battery, it seems that occasionally the computer chips don't start-up correctly, leaving junk in the various memories. For example, the 120m band might show 9.99 or 11m might show 0.00. What I've done is tune from bottom to top through each of the bands, also checking the channel-memories 0 - 9. Here's what's even stranger: even if you never use a band that might have an odd display, it can still cause trouble! The only time that this approach has not worked is when I couldn't get rid of a "weird" frequency. Then I just pulled the batteries and started again.

Hope it helps as it looks like the Sangean is a great little set.
Bassman
Regular
Regular

Post by Bassman »

Cheers kc,thats a lot of help.I could try earthing my self before touching the radio,in fact I will the next time I use it just to see if it makes a difference.It's a nuisance for sure.I have had no trouble with the other at all,or at least not yet.I've spoken to you before on another forum by the way.
Keep Music Live!!