My friend

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

My friend

Post by NightProwler »

OK it's rant time again :D Theres a few of us who chat locally on mid FM everyday, Normally about 5 or 6 of us but when the conditions are good we get the usual German and French stations calling in. Now myself I cant really be bothered because I have spoken to European stations a million times, I like getting into countries I have never worked before so I can tick them off my list. Anyway one chap on the channel goes into full ham mode when they come on but what bugs the crap out of me and I tend to count how many times he says 'my friend' in one over, I think the record is seven. It goes something like this...

CQ CQ CQ DX my friend, This 163...... my friend, You are 5 and 9 into Wales my friend. Working conditions this way my friend is an SS9900 and a gainmaster my friend. How am I making the trip to you my friend?

And it goes on and on. OK maybe im being a Victor Meldrew but it bugs the crap out of me so much I tend to switch off.

My friend my friend my friend {bnghd} :lol:

Sorry rant over :thumbup:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Re: My friend

Post by Transwarp »

;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

I thought I was looking into a mirror for a moment....My friend.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

I've had similar experiences with folk dx-ing.

They obviously don't know they're doing it obviously, but to those listening to them it's obvious they obviously don't know they have an obvious habit of repeating themselves or an expression, and to some it can be annoying - obviously :D

Break in next time and ask him what's with the repeated 'friend' word in his overs.
Last edited by Transwarp on 31 Aug 2023, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Well next time it happens say
"Ok my Enemy you are good signal into UK, So my Enemy working conditions Icom 700000000 DX Elite,
My antenna My Enemy is 15 element Longboom yagi
So back to you my Enemy (I cannot Believe it!) Over Over
PMSL :D :D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

:lol: I would not say anything to him as he is a nice chap. Still bugs the crap out of me though. Im just turning into MR.Meldrew.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

O0OOLAAAA-OO0OLAAAA (then whistling) OOOOLAAAA-OOOOLAAAA! - (all with echo/reverb on)

Now that's annoying :x
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Transwarp wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 13:31 O0OOLAAAA-OO0OLAAAA (then whistling) OOOOLAAAA-OOOOLAAAA! - (all with echo/reverb on)

Now that's annoying :x
Ahhh yes I mentioned this before on here as there is another chap not far from me that does this on 555 every weekend {bnghd} Why? Drives me mental.

When he starts whistling I ask him if he has lost his dog but he never answers me :lol:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I used to buy the odd used item from a market trader in Birmingham city centre about 25-30 years ago, like a word processer, the odd car radio cassette player, car speakers etc, and he was the same, mostly "My friend" but sometimes it was " My good friend". I think he used the word "Good" mainly when he saw my wallet coming out ;)
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

NightProwler wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 11:23 OK it's rant time again :D Theres a few of us who chat locally on mid FM everyday, Normally about 5 or 6 of us but when the conditions are good we get the usual German and French stations calling in. Now myself I cant really be bothered because I have spoken to European stations a million times, I like getting into countries I have never worked before so I can tick them off my list. Anyway one chap on the channel goes into full ham mode when they come on but what bugs the crap out of me and I tend to count how many times he says 'my friend' in one over, I think the record is seven. It goes something like this...

CQ CQ CQ DX my friend, This 163...... my friend, You are 5 and 9 into Wales my friend. Working conditions this way my friend is an SS9900 and a gainmaster my friend. How am I making the trip to you my friend?

And it goes on and on. OK maybe im being a Victor Meldrew but it bugs the crap out of me so much I tend to switch off.

My friend my friend my friend {bnghd} :lol:

Sorry rant over :thumbup:

I've heard someone constantly saying "my friend" either on air, or via YouTube CB videos.
Rings a bell

Do you realise you regularly refer to yourself as Victor Meldrew in posts :thumbup: :lol:
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Victor is my hero, I love the guy....My friend :thumbup:
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

NightProwler wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 14:09 Victor is my hero, I love the guy....My friend :thumbup:

I don't believe it .
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

There's a Ford advert on the TV at the moment where a guy back in the 70's asks how much the Mk3 Cortina is in the showroom, to which the saleman answers "Only £995 my friend". Made me think of this post.
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tin soldier »

The Collector wrote: 12 Oct 2023, 21:26 There's a Ford advert on the TV at the moment where a guy back in the 70's asks how much the Mk3 Cortina is in the showroom, to which the saleman answers "Only £995 my friend". Made me think of this post.
My first car a mk3 Cortina.
My second car was a mk3 Cortina.

Facelift :lol: