Using a CB in the house & power supply question?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Using a CB in the house & power supply question?

Post by Dave9946 »

I want to ask about this in its own right as I can't seem to get a straight answer via Google without a lot of digression of unrelated info which as a new user to the scene is getting very confusing.

So at some point in the next couple of weeks I'm also looking at the option of also being able to use my Thunderpole 800 in the house. If only because the the idea of sitting in the car all the time just to listen can be off putting and if I can simply also set it up easily to use in the house then I know the missus will maybe use it whilst I'm at work.

Now this Thunderpole 800 when I bought it has the 12v (cigarette) adapter already connected for car use, likely soldered internally I'm thinking. So I'm stumped on my options to use it in the home. As in my into thread this was suggested as a suitable power supply for it to use in the house: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175255358818 ... media=COPY

Yet as you can see, that's simply to connect the black & white wires into, so not really an option seeing as there is already a 12v car adapter moulded or soldered. So in that respect, what are my options to resolve this?. The only thing I've so far found is something like this which I'm wandering if it will work, even suitable at all or just down right dangerous for CB usage:

Basically I want an easy plug & play solution that allows a quick moving of car to house to use of it possible?.
Buick Mackane

Re: Using a CB in the house & power supply question?

Post by Buick Mackane »

If you've posted a pic above it's not showing. Some power supplies have built in cigarette lighter type sockets, Although i couldn't name a particular model off the top of my head,

Or you could get a cigarette lighter socket and wire it to your power supply.

See link below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... _PrefLoc=1
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've got something like this stuck on the top of my power supply and wired directly onto the outputs in case I need to use a cigaretter lighter plug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

You could always visit your local scrappy and pull one from a scrap car if your really tight like me :)

Or if you prefer a power supply with a cigar lighter socket built in take a look at this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403023377945 ... R-iCuJ6kYg
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

You could buy a new power lead from the radio...without cigarette connector on the end too
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Dave9946 wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 09:54 I want to ask about this in its own right as I can't seem to get a straight answer via Google without a lot of digression of unrelated info which as a new user to the scene is getting very confusing.

So at some point in the next couple of weeks I'm also looking at the option of also being able to use my Thunderpole 800 in the house. If only because the the idea of sitting in the car all the time just to listen can be off putting and if I can simply also set it up easily to use in the house then I know the missus will maybe use it whilst I'm at work.

Now this Thunderpole 800 when I bought it has the 12v (cigarette) adapter already connected for car use, likely soldered internally I'm thinking. So I'm stumped on my options to use it in the home. As in my into thread this was suggested as a suitable power supply for it to use in the house: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175255358818 ... media=COPY

Yet as you can see, that's simply to connect the black & white wires into, so not really an option seeing as there is already a 12v car adapter moulded or soldered. So in that respect, what are my options to resolve this?. The only thing I've so far found is something like this which I'm wandering if it will work, even suitable at all or just down right dangerous for CB usage:

Basically I want an easy plug & play solution that allows a quick moving of car to house to use of it possible?.
I believe your T-800 radio has a non removable power lead.

Plenty of power supply's that have 12v cig lighter socket built into them, or you can buy a 12v cig socket that it plugs into and in turn you connect the red and black wires that come from it to the power supply instead.

I suggest you buy power supply from a reputable retailer like Thunderpole, Nevada, Knights CB. If though you already have a PSU and just want a 12v socket you can buy from the places already mentioned or eBay / Amazon.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Yeah, certainly looks like the power lead is non removable which is part of my frustration, just don't quite get (though I assume there is an obvious reason to the experienced) why it needs to be 1 or those power supply box\units linked to above over something like this which is recommended for 12v car powered devices in the home?. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-120W-Con ... ect=mobile

Not about the cost difference of 1 of those as such, but more trying to understand the differences & reason why those basic adapter leads can't be used?. Unprotected power control flow of something guess it will be?
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

You could try one of those but it might be electrically noisy, Also it should really be 13.8 volts not 12.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Dave9946 wrote: 06 Jul 2023, 09:22 Yeah, certainly looks like the power lead is non removable which is part of my frustration, just don't quite get (though I assume there is an obvious reason to the experienced) why it needs to be 1 or those power supply box\units linked to above over something like this which is recommended for 12v car powered devices in the home?. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-120W-Con ... ect=mobile

Not about the cost difference of 1 of those as such, but more trying to understand the differences & reason why those basic adapter leads can't be used?. Unprotected power control flow of something guess it will be?
CB radios are designed to run on 13.8 volts as Buick mentioned, brick adapters are 12 volts and are rubbish for that job so get a proper PSU for your rig otherwise if you use that brick adapter junk you might end up buying another rig when it goes pop - pay cheap buy twice.

12v socket.....
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24v-10A-120W-Car ... 5414104416

You want a 3 to 5 amp PSU which will set you back about £30. If money's tight maybe one of the forum members might have one to sell you cheap or even let you have something that they have kicking about in a spares box somewhere for nothing if you pay for the postage.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Certainly looking at getting the power supply, no real rush as such for that and more about research and getting it right first.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Dave9946 wrote: 06 Jul 2023, 20:36 Certainly looking at getting the power supply, no real rush as such for that and more about research and getting it right first.

Unless planning on getting a more fancy radio that requires more amps, and / or using a linear amplifier, a basic PSU for your current radio is all need. Plenty of info about CB / ham radio PSU's on the web, and many knowledgeable folk on this forum who l'm sure would be happy to help with info on as well :thumbup:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The Collector wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 17:05 I've got something like this stuck on the top of my power supply and wired directly onto the outputs in case I need to use a cigaretter lighter plug:
These cost about £3, so Ican't see why it won't do the job and woukd take literally 5 mins to trim the wires and fit 2 terminal ends on instead ;)
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The Sherman power supply will be fine, so just source the cigarette lighter style connector and away you go. Sometimes it’s easier to source a cable with connectors on the end from places like Amazon, then cut off the unwanted connector, leaving the cigarette lighter style one. Just make sure the red terminal goes to the centre pin, not the surround, which goes to the black terminal. That’s it.