Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Whisky1

Re: Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

Post by Whisky1 »

Ant wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 21:20 Well it looks like Ofcom are doing what they propose, to simplify spectrum management. If full licence holders can use more power, then maybe QRM won't be as much an issue? That's assuming all using more power, which perhaps we won't be, but if we did, then who knows.
If you can't hear them it doesn't matter how much power you can use.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Whisky1 wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 21:51
Ant wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 21:20 Well it looks like Ofcom are doing what they propose, to simplify spectrum management. If full licence holders can use more power, then maybe QRM won't be as much an issue? That's assuming all using more power, which perhaps we won't be, but if we did, then who knows.
Of course, but it would matter how much power they use, if so many dB above the noise floor......(which is my point)
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

Ant wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 10:25
Whisky1 wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 21:51
Of course, but it would matter how much power they use, if so many dB above the noise floor......(which is my point)
Ahh get ya....... :D
Leroy1488
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Leroy1488 »

As a fairly new (less than five years) operator here's my two pence. First, three tier license is stupid. There should be a system akin to driving, where you get an "L" plate (Foundation license at say 25w) and then go for the full when and if you want to.

I don't see the point in it the way the license is now especially as on analogue the bands are dead 99% of the time and if you don't live on a high hill your HT is no more use than a walkie talkie for a couple of miles. Not being able to contact others is the biggest reason why more people don't bother with ham radio. Somebody with a CB can have more communication without the hassle of getting a license.

Some of us have no desire for a "shack" filled with gizmos and are happy to just stick with an HT. Shock, horror, yes it's true. SOME of us don't want a room full of HF boxes and a yard full of antennas.

Also, there needs to be a button on every radio that you can press whereby the old git waffling on and on about his myriad physical ailments and what the weather's like where they are (it's never to their liking) gets deleted in a puff of smoke, but that's more of a manufacturer's issue than an Ofcom thing.
NicolaJayne
Regular
Regular

Post by NicolaJayne »

Leroy1488 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 20:58 As a fairly new (less than five years) operator here's my two pence. First, three tier license is stupid. There should be a system akin to driving, where you get an "L" plate (Foundation license at say 25w) and then go for the full when and if you want to.

I don't see the point in it the way the license is now especially as on analogue the bands are dead 99% of the time and if you don't live on a high hill your HT is no more use than a walkie talkie for a couple of miles. Not being able to contact others is the biggest reason why more people don't bother with ham radio. Somebody with a CB can have more communication without the hassle of getting a license.

Some of us have no desire for a "shack" filled with gizmos and are happy to just stick with an HT. Shock, horror, yes it's true. SOME of us don't want a room full of HF boxes and a yard full of antennas.

Also, there needs to be a button on every radio that you can press whereby the old git waffling on and on about his myriad physical ailments and what the weather's like where they are (it's never to their liking) gets deleted in a puff of smoke, but that's more of a manufacturer's issue than an Ofcom thing.
interesting the want to move to a two tier licence or even back to one tie as part of the current consultation usually comes from the 'old git waffling on and on about his myriad physical ailments' camp.

I'm not sure what you think a VHF/ UHF Handheld is for other than predominantly as a 'walkie talkie' - although in many places assuming the correct set is chosen you can access a number of repeaters with

a 'yard full of antennas' and 'Shack full of gizmos'

white stick and a doublet/ loop / EFHW are hardly a 'yard full of antenna' yet many people, manage to get out well with such set ups - although admittedly for VHF and UHF it;s all aobut your QTH as height really is might
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Leroy1488 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 20:58 As a fairly new (less than five years) operator here's my two pence. First, three tier license is stupid. There should be a system akin to driving, where you get an "L" plate (Foundation license at say 25w) and then go for the full when and if you want to.

Ah, that bitterness and resent sounds very familiar, I think we'll have a good idea who you are.....
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

I've read this post twice and I can only come to the conclusion that 5 years is nothing and you hold a entry ticket so the waffle as gone like a puff of smoke to me.
KB312
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: KB312

Post by KB312 »

well here is my two penneth.
I am personally very disappointed with Ofcom. To start they have consulted ONLY licensed users. I am aware that they have had more than enough communication from non licensed users (CB) about their concerns and idea’s for the future and they have ignored all there communication to my knowledge. Even many licensed users have expressed on social media that they are pulling out their hair about this issue that they think the whole situation is outdated.
I myself have written to Ofcom with no reply! My belief is that eventually the radio community and hobby will suffer a brain drain in the next 5 to 10 years for obvious reasons regarding lifespan. From the data (2021) the licenses users under 21 years of age are 0.32%.
So the hobby and the license needs to modernize to introduce new users or radio use will become extinct.
Bob - KB312.
Old to the Hobby but new to the game!
CB, SSB, PMR446 & Network Radio
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

KB312 wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 10:47 well here is my two penneth.
I am personally very disappointed with Ofcom. To start they have consulted ONLY licensed users. I am aware that they have had more than enough communication from non licensed users (CB) about their concerns and idea’s for the future and they have ignored all there communication to my knowledge. Even many licensed users have expressed on social media that they are pulling out their hair about this issue that they think the whole situation is outdated.
I myself have written to Ofcom with no reply! My belief is that eventually the radio community and hobby will suffer a brain drain in the next 5 to 10 years for obvious reasons regarding lifespan. From the data (2021) the licenses users under 21 years of age are 0.32%.
So the hobby and the license needs to modernize to introduce new users or radio use will become extinct.
It is about licensed users of the spectrum no one else this consultation, so if you don't hold a ticket they won't correspond whatsoever with ya :roll:
What do you suggest a free for all ? Brain drain you say :D
KB312
Regular
Regular

Post by KB312 »

Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 11:05
It is about licensed users of the spectrum no one else this consultation, so if you don't hold a ticket they won't correspond whatsoever with ya :roll:
Well I suppose you haven't read what I wrote and from the tone of your reply I don't value your opinion.
Goodbye Mark.
Bob - KB312.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

KB312 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 11:38
Well I suppose you haven't read what I wrote and from the tone of your reply I don't value your opinion.
Goodbye Mark.

I read the whole lot...........again what do you suggest ? and what makes you think not being licensed gives anyone the right to have a input into something they are not a part of Bob.........sorry I find that strange but hey newcomers always welcome and valued don't take opinions as a flag to say goodbye. You Sheffield lot all the same :lol:
Last edited by Whisky1 on 20 Oct 2023, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
KB312
Regular
Regular

Post by KB312 »

Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 18:01

Goodbye Mark.

I read the whole lot...........again what do you suggest ? and what makes you think not being licensed gives anyone the right to have a input Bob into something they are not a part of.
Got your original rely “suit yourself 73”. I think that was the best respond you should have stuck with.
Id send you a QSL but your signal is 0 and your over modding as usual.
Again Goodbye.
Bob - KB312.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

KB312 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 18:20
Whisky1 wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 18:01

Goodbye Mark.

I read the whole lot...........again what do you suggest ? and what makes you think not being licensed gives anyone the right to have a input Bob into something they are not a part of.
Got your original rely “suit yourself 73”. I think that was the best respond you should have stuck with.
Id send you a QSL but your signal is 0 and your over modding as usual.
Again Goodbye.
I edited it to try and get a response of reason from you and maybe a debate.
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

I get your points about having input regardless if a ham radio operator or a CB / scanner / shortwave user, it's all radio after all, and if enough folk take the time to give their feedback to Ofcom it would be the courteous thing to do to at least respond back to them.

I've long had the opinion that the hobby is dwindling and becoming less geared towards the essence of the hobby and more about new tech and contesting, and mucking about with cheap radios on repeaters on the other end of the scale.

HF is getting harder to use in many areas because of the various forms of interference and noise levels caused by modern electronics, and so the shine of it all as a whole has dulled very much for me, and for others l think.

Nothing stays the same forever and this consultation won't be the last l don't think, they'll be more of the same / similar l'm sure in the future to keep (well try to anyway) pace with changes, that's the way of things. I don't bother about such, it's just a hobby / pastime after all and l can take or leave it, not something I'll lose sleep over anyway :thumbup:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

Transwarp wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 19:05
I get your points about having input regardless if a ham radio operator or a CB / scanner / shortwave user, it's all radio after all, and if enough folk take the time to give their feedback to Ofcom it would be the courteous thing to do to at least respond back to them.

I've long had the opinion that the hobby is dwindling and becoming less geared towards the essence of the hobby and more about new tech and contesting, and mucking about with cheap radios on repeaters on the other end of the scale.

HF is getting harder to use in many areas because of the various forms of interference and noise levels caused by modern electronics, and so the shine of it all as a whole has dulled very much for me and for others l think.

Nothing stays the same forever and this consultation won't be the last l don't think, they'll be more of the same / similar l'm sure in the future to keep (well try to anyway) pace with changes, that's the way of things. I don't bother about such, it's just a hobby / pastime after all and l can take or leave it, not something I'll lose sleep over anyway.
How can you have an input into something you are not part of, amateur radio is regulated that's why you have a license is it not? so how can someone's input who is not licensed have any relevance going forward :eh: