Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Tin soldier
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

Post by Tin soldier »

Transwarp wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 07:21 @Tin soldier
The point l was making is about we all have freedom to do or not to do, good or bad, and was a tongue in cheek example.
I know , and mine was a tongue in cheek reply too mate 👍🏼😁
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

The day they start fitting beaconing blippers to radios it will be 27 only for me, mind you all this faffing they are now proposing cb looks like it will have more appeal to me, ham radio regulated my arse.......It will end up being what 27/81 turned into a sh1t show.
I started on AM late 70s and it looks like I will end it on 27.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

I will be voting against the power increases for anyone other than a Full Licence holder.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Ant wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 12:22 I will be voting against the power increases for anyone other than a Full Licence holder.
Why ?
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Buick Mackane wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 13:07
Ant wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 12:22 I will be voting against the power increases for anyone other than a Full Licence holder.
Why ?
Want more power? Get a full licence. Why should an intermediate be able to run their 100w radio at full power, the same as I, a full licence holder?
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Ant wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 14:03
Why ?
Want more power? Get a full licence. Why should an intermediate be able to run their 100w radio at full power, the same as I, a full licence holder?
Personally i'm happy to run 50 watts. If the changes go through you can run 10 x the power of an intermediate
Ant

Post by Ant »

Buick Mackane wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 14:19
Ant wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 14:03

Why ?
Personally i'm happy to run 50 watts. If the changes go through you can run 10 x the power of an intermediate
Yes, with a linear which I do not want at power levels I do not want to transmit from a home.

Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Ant wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 14:03 Want more power? Get a full licence. Why should an intermediate be able to run their 100w radio at full power, the same as I, a full licence holder?
Bit of a stuffy view, smacks of class status tbh.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

I Can see this thread becoming nasty very quickly so just a quick reminder to keep it friendly, We've already played a game of in before the lock,
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

No nastiness on my part, just calling it as I see it written.

The changes proposed may or may not be to everyone's liking which is fine, but it's about (or should be) operating privileges to reflect where the hobby is today taking into consideration the advancements in radio technology, practices, and indeed other electronic tech. Licence class advancement should be seen by all that such advancement is based solely on a persons desire to become more involved - and not one based on expectation by others and/or those who hold 'higher' licences.

This is a very old story regarding licence progression and it should be left in the past where it belongs because times have changed and the world has, and is, moving on - a view maybe that Ofcom has also.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Transwarp wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 15:50
Ant wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 14:03 Want more power? Get a full licence. Why should an intermediate be able to run their 100w radio at full power, the same as I, a full licence holder?
Bit of a stuffy view, smacks of class status tbh.
Yes, yes it does 8)

Want more power? Get the full licence - get the status.

Ant

Post by Ant »

Transwarp wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 19:03 No nastiness on my part, just calling it as I see it written.

The changes proposed may or may not be to everyone's liking which is fine, but it's about (or should be) operating privileges to reflect where the hobby is today taking into consideration the advancements in radio technology, practices, and indeed other electronic tech. Licence class advancement should be seen by all that such advancement is based solely on a persons desire to become more involved - and not one based on expectation by others and/or those who hold 'higher' licences.

This is a very old story regarding licence progression and it should be left in the past where it belongs because times have changed and the world has, and is, moving on - a view maybe that Ofcom has also.
There is no licence progression if a CBer who can't be bothered to get the full licence now says 'daant need to innit, I can use 'undred wots naaow innit'.

I had this very conversation with someone recently, where they thought that as an M7, they should be ENTITLED to the same RIGHTS as a full licence holder. He didn't like it when I said that if you want what a full licence holder has, why not go for the full?

Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

:roll: :yawn:
Ant

Post by Ant »

And that's your best challenge?

Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Transwarp »

Ant wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 15:14 And that's your best challenge?
Challenge?? What's to challenge and what about?

Ofcom are proposing changes, you've stated you'll be having your say on the proposals, what more needs to be said? You have your view (and not just on the proposals either it seems) and like others, l have mine. That's it.

If there's something else you wish to debate l'm quite happy to contribute, if it's on topic and meaningful of course.