What Coax & does length matter

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What Coax & does length matter

Post by Stronty »

surely there must be a grading system
I wouldn't call it a grading system as such.

https://static.dxengineering.com/pdf/DX ... 0-Rev7.pdf

You may find this reference chart useful, there are loads out there like this but this will either answer some questions or produce more in depth questions.
All but 1 listed here is 50 ohm.
RG58, RG8X, RG213.....are probably most common amongst the casual radio enthusiast.
Can't help but love an Adams.

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Useful link. Mine field as I found out even the radio stores in eBay advertise a coax as let's say 96% braid coverage ,then you email ask for the brand and specifications of you hadn't found it yourself only to hear it's 89% braid coverage.

Their was a good quality rg 58 96% braid by unidpectra but not found anymore, Shakespeare marine rg 58 is good and is tin copper braided so you will get longer life and it shouldn't go green from weather conditions causing issues is you deal well coax ends into plugs .
Belden is quality stuff.
Rgq223 is a tinned copper double screened simular to rg 58 but better screan.Stay clear of tin foil under copper.
Generally I buy the type of coax I need with the highest % of braid coverage.rg 58 I buy tinned copper and a multi core cu centre.
What kind of length you looking at from radio to antenna.

Often cheaper to buy a roll too as you always need more if you find good coax fairly priced.
I have bought rolls of eBay 96% braid tinned copper cheap second hand unused as sellers didn't look up specs.

Urm 76 on eBay part roll.No idea of brand,quality you could ask.I have urm 76 works fine but mine is tinned copper not cheap.
number:334472023934 keep eyes open for deals like this or cheaper for good stuff , extra coax is always useful costs rising too.
Maybe someone will point out any + - of urm 76 over rg 58 cu..

If you get to see braid on coax after outer jacket cut off you don't want to see any white dielectric underneath through the braid .the tighter better.more coverage better.
Just a few hints to help guide but as suggested it can go on and on with specs I don't get myself lol.

Single stranded centre copper conductor in coax doesn't like flexing as snaps, multi core lasts better being flexed saving in wind so on or on magmounts so ln.
TerryJ1517
New User
New User
Call Sign: PNW579

Post by TerryJ1517 »

It's a good practice to ground your antenna just for safety reasons, as far as coax goes, it doesn't matter how long your coax is, use just enough to get the job done. The only time one would be concerned about length to coax is if they were making a tuning stub. Coax is an unbalanced line so no matter where you terminate it the impedance will be 50 ohms. As for size, if using it for a base station I'd go with the coax that offers the least amount of loss such as RG8, RG8X or RG213.