Crusty Ham Complaint

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Hammerman
New User
New User

Crusty Ham Complaint

Post by Hammerman »

I was on 27.555 today and just rudely out of the blue a crusty old radio ham blurted out 'turn your power down, I'm reporting you to the DTI and you're splattering all over 10M'.

This guy must be living in a time warp because the DTI are long gone. 😁

This guy was local looking at my s meter.

Will Ofcom turn up if he phones them or are they disinterested in CB & amplifiers?

Rob
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Crusty Ham Complaint

Post by ch25 »

Since 10m is "protected" band and you are splattering...
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Hammerman
New User
New User

Post by Hammerman »

ch25 wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 21:37 Since 10m is "protected" band and you are splattering...
I thought splattering was as the name suggests and splattering either side of the frequency by just 10s of Khz?

Not sure how it can be harmonics as I use a low pass filter as well.

So do you thinks it's wise to hide my amplifier as there's a chance I'll have a visit? 😁
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Make sure you don't over-drive your linear as if you over-drive it and it becomes non-linear it can generate intermodulation products which can pretty much go anywhere. Crusty old ham was breaking the law by transmitting on 27.555. He could lose his license, whereas if you don't have one you can't lose it.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Hammerman
New User
New User

Post by Hammerman »

Thanks Otter.

In terms of a visit though, do you think it's likely or unlikely?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Hammerman wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 21:45So do you thinks it's wise to hide my amplifier as there's a chance I'll have a visit? 😁
First it will be tracked, measured and recorded to have "digital fingerprint" by Ofcom or what is the name of your national radio agency.
For lads here with their equipment a few seconds is enough to get all data.

And yes, you can splatter widely.
I had a CBer in my area, living 4km from my station. I always knew when he was on 555, because terrible signal he was transmitting which made interference up to 30MHz from his Galaxy Saturn, BV131 and overdriven microphone.
Now problem is gone, because he comes to his senses, sold that crap and bought IC-765. Now 10ks away there is no sign of him transmitting.

For that your lowpass filter is useless, only help not to ruin 6m band.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

Hammerman wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 22:25 In terms of a visit though, do you think it's likely or unlikely?
My opinion doesn't count for anything, but that said I don't think you'll get a visit for one report. Besides, they don't know where you are yet. Just make sure you don't drive the linear flat out.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Hammerman
New User
New User

Post by Hammerman »

Thanks Otter & Ch25.

My amp is a RM KL505V and I dont think I've been over driving it as I've only been feeding it just under 5w PEP on sideband.

I wonder if the ham knows what he is talking about and perhaps I was just overloading or swamping his front end?

I've got an old Yaesu ft-857d in the loft so perhaps I should set that up instead.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

Hammerman wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 10:58 I wonder if the ham knows what he is talking about and perhaps I was just overloading or swamping his front end?
That is a definite possibility.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Perhaps you were desensitising his radio a lot and he was hoping by you turning your power down, that he'd be able to hear people once more :)
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

So this ham went onto the 555 and keyed up to tell you to stop running illegally ? They used to come onto cb radio with morse code to try block me but later regretted it. Why did they do it to me ? No reason what so ever i didn't have any ham radio gear so i never once went onto their frequencies to cause of any trouble. The way i see it is if someone comes looking for trouble then they will get it.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

It's all about how you approach someone. Respect is the key but hams don't have it for anyone on cb radio.
InTheClouds

Post by InTheClouds »

We need to get along and resolve these problems. Mutual respect for all radio users is the only way really. That be 400W ham who is splattering or 400W cber. The details come down to, each user has made their decision to operate in the way they do. The goal is one of non interference, going both ways... both parties should understand they can cause each other the end of their hobby if persistent enough.

So speak with each other sensibly. In this instance the ham should have asked the station to QSY and politely explain the issue...much more likely to get sensible resolution.

Really try to not QRM anyone and take it seriously if someone says you are. Of course there is some greater chance for unfiltered over driven CB kit to cause troubles. Some hams are also using RM stuff and there is only 1 amp I know of FCC approved meaning the rest of the amps must have fell short
on harmonics and spurious. So this can be a problem for ham and cb radio.

There are many hams with over driven audio into CB linears. I hear it ALL the time.

And if you are a CBer and you are overdoing your audio and amps, please don't. FIrstly you will be heard BETTER as dx ! Clear audio is the goal. Even if you are down a few dB's at the other end you will be easier to understand, that is the goal of your radio TX really, clarity of voice doing the job for the RX station. 5W PEP... if it is really that, is a good drive level. Don't run those Italian amps on max setting either is probably good advice. I really have a hard time with badly distorted audio from a DX station, most people do... overdoing things works against you.

The key is you have to approach the person with respect otherwise it is down hill fast. I have been at the end of abuse before, probably we all have had "run ins" or firm words and you need to dial it down and explain your side of the story with that person, dial it back from them swearing at you non stop, with controlled firmness, then they should come down to that level and deescalate. Even to the unreasonable sometimes. Nothing good comes of 2 locals with animosity... they can mess each others radio lives up. So do your utmost to be diplomatic, 99pct of people are ok if you have a bit of patience, even the highly strung. (A LOT of patience sometimes) speaking to them.