Pc-385ag president mckinley help.

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Pinksnake
Regular
Regular

Pc-385ag president mckinley help.

Post by Pinksnake »

Hi guys got a president mckinley here early version.. Main board is pc-385ag...radio has a few niggles I shall try my best to list them...

Driver is 2sc1306 I don't know if this is original.. Output is 2sc1969...when mic gain is up full I get awful gargeled audio through internal speaker on ssb.. And ssb audio sounds awful u till I turn mic gain back a wee bit.
On am as soon as I tx my audio comes out internal. Speaker like a full talk back mod has been done... Sounds shocking..
Rx is fine on all modes just has the described tx issues... Please any help with the afore mentioned issues would b great... Also should the driver b a 2166 instead of the 1306..?
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pc-385ag president mckinley help.

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Service Manual :arrow:

http://www.cbradio.nl/president/Service ... er_ENG.pdf

TR41>2SC1969>FINAL
TR40>2SC496>BIAS CONTROL
TR39>2SC1306>XMT DRIVER
TR38>2SC1973>XMT PRE DRIVER

@+
Claude
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Pinksnake
Regular
Regular

Post by Pinksnake »

Thanks Claude... I shall have a good look..
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

First thing to check would be the microphone - a short inside the plug will cause those symptoms almost as stated.

If you haven't got another mic, remove the outer metal cover of the plug, desolder the receive wire, plug it in and try again.
You'll have no receive, but is the radio now transmitting as it should?

If it doesn't (no change) does the radio receive without the mic plugged in? If so, the short could be inside the radio - could be the mic socket, EXT speaker socket, or the internal speaker itself could be shorted from one side to chassis.

The non standard RF output driver won't cause this, but you may lose a watt or two on SSB compared to the original part.