Chrome Paint For Bezel

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
cooper
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM111

Chrome Paint For Bezel

Post by cooper »

Hello all, as above has anyone had any success using chrome paint on their bezel?

Cheers
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Chrome Paint For Bezel

Post by Mudslinger »

It will never look like real chrome, but the best stuff I found was Humbrol Chrome enamel from a local modelling shop. Pretty sure that you get get it from ebay as well.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

Cheer Simon i`ll take a look :thumbup:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Be aware though that it's quite fragile stuff and will mark easily compared to "normal" pain,t. It's usually marked as " For decorative use only" on most cans. It also won't be as good as it looks on the lid!

The best stuff is that water-based 2-coat stuff you'll find on Youtube. That's much harder-wearing and available in spray cans...although it's quite expensive if you're only spraying 1 item.

Here's one of mine from a few years back. Still got it just in case I need some Xmas tree baubles spraying :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

The Collector wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 15:44 Be aware though that it's quite fragile stuff and will mark easily compared to "normal" pain,t. It's usually marked as " For decorative use only" on most cans. It also won't be as good as it looks on the lid!

The best stuff is that water-based 2-coat stuff you'll find on Youtube. That's much harder-wearing and available in spray cans...although it's quite expensive if you're only spraying 1 item.

Here's one of mine from a few years back. Still got it just in case I need some Xmas tree baubles spraying :)
Thanks for your reply collector, that stuff on the tube really does look good, i have some flaked paint on a 360 bezel, i may start with a cheap brush on paint and see how it looks and take it from there.

Cheers :thumbup:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Shake well and spray some of that "chromalike" spray paint (as it was originally called in the 80's) into the can's lid and use a small artist's brush to dab some paint on the missing bits. Leave for about 4hrs indoors and dab a bit more on so you build up the paint in layers until it's the same thickness as the chrome. If it looks good enough, job done.
If it looks pants, then you'll either need to strip the surround down completely (a pain of a job unless you've got a plating machine and chemicals to remove the chrome) and get it re-chromed, or source a better surround.

I've done it before and it's better than having green or beige plastic showing, but when you get within a couple of foot you'll still notice it somewhat.
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

The Collector wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 19:26 Shake well and spray some of that "chromalike" spray paint (as it was originally called in the 80's) into the can's lid and use a small artist's brush to dab some paint on the missing bits. Leave for about 4hrs indoors and dab a bit more on so you build up the paint in layers until it's the same thickness as the chrome. If it looks good enough, job done.
If it looks pants, then you'll either need to strip the surround down completely (a pain of a job unless you've got a plating machine and chemicals to remove the chrome) and get it re-chromed, or source a better surround.

I've done it before and it's better than having green or beige plastic showing, but when you get within a couple of foot you'll still notice it somewhat.
Thanks Collector, your brush and cap method is one option i have considered, i have since found this for another option possibly? has some ok reviews on the web.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253242201892 ... 1438.l2649

cheers :thumbup:
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

cooper wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 10:18 Thanks Collector, your brush and cap method is one option i have considered, i have since found this for another option possibly? has some ok reviews on the web.
I think I could even use that ! :)

All that thought of painting gives me a headache . And that's without the fumes :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Give it a go for that price :) Put some before & after pic's up on here so we can see the results too. You never know, it might do the job nicely. Missing bits of chrome is unsightly, so if it does a decent job, one pen might do dozens of radios.

I'd do a test piece on something first so you get the flow rate controlled and don't dollop too much on...and have it run down the front of your radio overnight lol.

You can then test it after a couple of days in the warmth for resistance against abrasion or gentle scratching. If it marks easily then perhaps that's not going to cut the mustard.
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

cb4ever104 wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 14:19
cooper wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 10:18 Thanks Collector, your brush and cap method is one option i have considered, i have since found this for another option possibly? has some ok reviews on the web.
I think I could even use that ! :)

All that thought of painting gives me a headache . And that's without the fumes :)
It does look worth a punt :thumbup:
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

The Collector wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 17:52 Give it a go for that price :) Put some before & after pic's up on here so we can see the results too. You never know, it might do the job nicely. Missing bits of chrome is unsightly, so if it does a decent job, one pen might do dozens of radios.

I'd do a test piece on something first so you get the flow rate controlled and don't dollop too much on...and have it run down the front of your radio overnight lol.

You can then test it after a couple of days in the warmth for resistance against abrasion or gentle scratching. If it marks easily then perhaps that's not going to cut the mustard.
i`ll order one up, and report back with some pictures in due course.

cheers
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

cooper wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 11:08 i`ll order one up, and report back with some pictures in due course.
Yeah . Let us know how you get on .

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

The verdict is not bad, i tried the above pen on a piece of plastic first and let it dry for around 24 hours, it dries quite hard but the shine can be rubbed off with my finger nail with little pressure. So i think it is ok as a touch up pen but it will not provide a smooth flat finish and larger areas brush strokes are visible.

Sorry for the poor picture quality
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

That looks ok to me. I'll buy some next time I see it.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cooper
Regular
Regular

Post by cooper »

cb4ever104 wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 18:11 That looks ok to me. I'll buy some next time I see it.
I`ll post some more pictures of the completed bezel

:thumbup: