The Cept Channels

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Buick Mackane

The Cept Channels

Post by Buick Mackane »

Did / Does anybody use them ? Around here they were always very quiet, Makes you wonder why they bothered allocating these channels. Because by the time they were introduced the bottom had fell out the CB Boom. Was it the late 80's or early 90's they became legal ?

According to UK CB Radio Servicing ofcom advise that radios modified to cover the cept channels should be scrapped, But he removes the mod.

And the reason you couldn't legally do the mod is because the cept channels had tighter specs that 27/81 radios couldn't meet,

Anyhoo always quiet round these parts
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: The Cept Channels

Post by ch25 »

In Poland we use only cept channels since always. I hear many UK when propagation is high.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

Buick Mackane wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 11:04

According to UK CB Radio Servicing ofcom advise that radios modified to cover the cept channels should be scrapped, But he removes the mod.
I have seen him scrap a perfectly good japanese coffin mic because it said Tristar on it and they didnt make a legal radio :crazy:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

cubwolf wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 14:54
Buick Mackane wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 11:04

I have seen him scrap a perfectly good japanese coffin mic because it said Tristar on it and they didnt make a legal radio :crazy:
He has a real obsession with all things radio related being legal, And hates having to un-do mods, He could have just changed the badge or took it off :lol:
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Buick Mackane wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 15:00
He has a real obsession with all things radio related being legal, And hates having to un-do mods, He could have just changed the badge or took it off :lol:
I remember viewing one of Richards videos a few months back when he had inadvertently purchased a new President Richard. He was royally not happy with himself for not realising what it was. He ended up refusing to even modify for use on 11m, instead using it as a 10m radio in his van.

Yeah, CEPT up here Jason, as you know is very quiet. I normally only here anything when there's propagation in to Europe on FM or stateside on SSB/AM.
The only local activity I hear from time to time is a group of 3 or 4 that use CH 19 or 19A on SSB of all modes. That's about it.

I didn't know that CEPT was a tighter spec than MPT1326. I just thought that the bandwidth wasn't available to cover both when modded.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Auldgeek wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 16:45
Buick Mackane wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 15:00
I remember viewing one of Richards videos a few months back when he had inadvertently purchased a new President Richard. He was royally not happy with himself for not realising what it was. He ended up refusing to even modify for use on 11m, instead using it as a 10m radio in his van.

Yeah, CEPT up here Jason, as you know is very quiet. I normally only here anything when there's propagation in to Europe on FM or stateside on SSB/AM.
The only local activity I hear from time to time is a group of 3 or 4 that use CH 19 or 19A on SSB of all modes. That's about it.

I didn't know that CEPT was a tighter spec than MPT1326. I just thought that the bandwidth wasn't available to cover both when modded.
Yeah, Apparently receiver rejection is tighter and increased sensitivity. It had to meet a certain requirement to be type approved, And modded 27/81 rigs couldn't meet the spec.

Also folk put a trimmer across the reference xtal to trim the frequency, But that shifted the I.F Which resulted in it being slightly deaf,
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Auldgeek wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 16:45

I remember viewing one of Richards videos a few months back
Iv'e noticed pimp has commented on a few of his videos, Guy is good, Richard that is not pimp :lol: Usually has radios repaired and aligned within the hour
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

CEPT was about 12 years too late for us in the UK.

Not that there are many people that I can hear anyway, but when I stick it on the CEPT channels, there's the off-chance that I'll hear some foreign stations now and again while I'm soldering something. Me actually switching on the radio is rare though ;)
Equalizer
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CO69

Post by Equalizer »

A few of us around here use channel 1 MID on USB in the evening but apart from that I just use it for DX like many people, what with some decent stateside coming in during late afternoons on LSB.
ChubbyChops
Call Sign: 26TM773

Post by ChubbyChops »

I've been hearing USA on 38 LSB most afternoons this last week.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

CEPT was used for Taxi's around these parts up until very recently.

Other than that it was always pretty dead. It was too noisy for local comms due to noise from abroad, but being only FM it was next to useless for chatting back to foreign stations, apart from the odd one in Germany.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

Cept channels around here are used for DX but year's ago we used it for nets and I rarely ventured on to the Muppets and when I bought my Jumbo it was used on super low and super super low as well as midband and the occasional use of low band
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.