Moonraker minor early version

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Moonraker minor early version

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Hallo
Have the early version of this and I can hear stations several miles away but the radio seems slightly deaf on the rx meter side. If I key a radio close to it all the RX LED,s light but for stations that would normally give me 7’s not one LED comes on when the stations talking. Radio transmits 4w and all the rx leds light as expected.

I have found the Blunham circuit diagram online and removed and tested all the transistors in the receive chain Q1-Q5, diodes D1-D5, Electrolytics C26,C102,C134, even the rx meter VR and tested that - all test fine.

Has anyone got an original schematic for the radio showing the transistors voltages when in circuit so I can see what the components doing when in place.

Thank you :thumbup:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Moonraker minor early version

Post by The Collector »

You say you can hear distant users, so can you not just tweeak the meter up a bit using the trimmer or is that just cheating? ;)
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

No unfortunately even with it turned up full still not one RX led on, local stations who give 7-8 are received fine but no RX leds on. When I key up all 4 TX leds come on so unsure if the display IC could be at fault as working for TX.?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

dodgeyvanner wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 10:36 No unfortunately even with it turned up full still not one RX led on, local stations who give 7-8 are received fine but no RX leds on. When I key up all 4 TX leds come on so unsure if the display IC could be at fault as working for TX.?
I seem to recall something similar with the odd Amstrad radio over the decades, so this LED controller gizmo could be the issue seeing as the LED's themselves aren't faulty.

Other than spouting stuff I recall from memory now and again, I'm piggin' useless ;)
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

I Would start by changing the RX Meter potentiometer
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Hi
Thank you both for the suggestions, I will change the IC and the RX meter VR, have a spare VR but will need to order the IC so give me a few days before confirming if it’s worked,