NOS Westland 707 On Ebay.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
astradyne

Re: NOS Westland 707 On Ebay.

Post by astradyne »

Buick Mackane wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 20:33
163TM847 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 20:29 I have been buying and selling these radios for a few months now, But i haven't been selling them on eBay or anywhere really, Just word of mouth, Nor have i been asking the prices i have seen some of these sell for!

Feel free to advertise some in our newly refurbished for sale section, It's a bit empty and unloved these days :D
Like fingerprints on an abandoned handrail.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

163TM847 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 20:29 I have been buying and selling these radios for a few months now, But i haven't been selling them on eBay or anywhere really, Just word of mouth, Nor have i been asking the prices i have seen some of these sell for!

There are many of them coming into the UK all the time, so if anyone wants one then you can easily get one.

Something you need to be wary of when buying one of these AFS1005 or Westland, MANY of them DO NOT WORK, I am not saying they all dont work, But a lot of them don't, I would say 1 in 10 works, But still needs an alignment, Quite a few of them have had the VRs cranked up full.

Most common faults are

AFS1005 - Bad VCO and bad speaker, Some also had bad 2SC1969 as they are 15w FM full power and it has eventually burned out.
Westland 707 - Bad PLL and bad speaker [Sometimes the speaker is repairable], And diodes cut so only Mid band works [Many of them the diodes are resoldered]
I have not come across a nonworking CB Master yet, But from what i have been told by others who bought them they also had bad PLL and speaker
Telsat 805B - I have had a few here past few weeks and they had bad SSB filter, There could be other problems I have not seen yet.

In the Westland 707 i have been replacing the bad PLL with an MC145106DW replacement PCB and while replacing it i also added a -5kc switch on the tone [Westland has no coarse], And moving the wire on the mode switch to regulate the FM power so it is the same as AM [Its 15w from factory and will eventually kill the 1969, Hence the faulty 1969 i have seen in the AFS]

The AFS though has a low power switch that works on all modes, So i say to anyone who has one, use FM on low power setting

Another thing i have been doing to the AFS is fixing the squelch, For some reason the factory cut the trace to the squelch transistor and linking it to another place which makes the squelch really "thumpy", But taking the factory link off and rejoining the cut trace makes it work normally again.

If anyone wants to know how to regulate the FM power on the Westland 707 then let me know and i will post some images, It really is dead simple.
I think I was one of the first to take the plunge as far as the Westland 707's go. Radio works very well indeed and I've not had the desire to remove the lids.

I'll run it through a power meter into a dummy load to check on the output. Hopefully it will be around where it should be.

yaggiboom

Post by yaggiboom »

Talking to a local breaker yesterday on my Westland and he was convinced I was on a Cobra 148 the modulation was so good. I've done quite a bit of work on mine though, including a complete TX realignment after replacing the VCO. Perfect envelope so maybe that has something to do with it.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

As expected the Westland's on ebay are selling like hot cakes.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Quote: If anyone wants to know how to regulate the FM power on the Westland 707 then let me know and I will post some images, It really is dead simple."

This info may be handy to know for some, just in case - thanks. :thumbup:

I won't be taking the cases off mine and having a twiddle myself though (for obvious reasons ;) ), but if I ever sold it on at some point, having the info may benefit the new owner. My wife'll probably just chuck it in the skip when I snuff it lol.

For now though, it'll just sit there looking pretty amongst the few other SSB radios that I have.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The Collector wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 14:17 My wife'll probably just chuck it in the skip when I snuff it lol.
I need to list all my stuff and put a price against everything . The last thing I need is for all you guys to take the pi$$ and start offering my kids £50 for all my stuff once I kick the bucket ! :lol:
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

The Collector wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 14:17 For now though, it'll just sit there looking pretty amongst the few other SSB radios that I have.
Did you get yourself an AFS1005 and CB Master 3600 too?
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

cb4ever104 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 16:20
The Collector wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 14:17 My wife'll probably just chuck it in the skip when I snuff it lol.
I need to list all my stuff and put a price against everything . The last thing I need is for all you guys to take the pi$$ and start offering my kids £50 for all my stuff once I kick the bucket ! :lol:
😂 I’ve done exactly that… Although I haven’t told the wife yet as she would want to sell the lot..! 😂
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

JibberJabber wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 19:09
😂 I’ve done exactly that… Although I haven’t told the wife yet as she would want to sell the lot..! 😂
My wife and I discussed this not long ago too as she wouldn't have a clue what anything's worth and she said they'd probably get chucked. I said before I "depart", that I'd get around to jotting down what each radio's worth, any known faults and if it's got its box etc etc. She'll probably take it all to the charity shop knowing her.

I'll ensure that my NOS Fidelity 1000 gets cremated with me though, no one's having that (or would want it lol). :angel:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Otter wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 18:48
The Collector wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 14:17 For now though, it'll just sit there looking pretty amongst the few other SSB radios that I have.
Did you get yourself an AFS1005 and CB Master 3600 too?
Tim - I would like a 1005 too but funds have dried up until I sell a few bits. I don't think there's any left in Romania though.
I wouldn't bother with a 3600 though to be honest.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

This is TM1 Paul. Do you genuinely think we'd offer that much! :lol:

Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

astradyne wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 08:26
This is TM1 Paul. Do you genuinely think we'd offer that much! :lol:
Be lucky to get an insult on here :lol:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

:lol:
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Well I couldn’t resist…. I actually thought I could but hey - Ho.. 707 on its way at a sensible price too… ;) 8)
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

I see they are back on ‘bay … With a price hike ..😉