PTT over Cellular

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
snapey75
Regular
Regular

PTT over Cellular

Post by snapey75 »

Another onsite radio system using PTTOC.

Hope the mobile network never goes down and for years the radio companies have always said to say never rely on mobile networks and buy your own radio systems. I suppose radios licences are hard to get in London

https://www.wirefr3.com/2021/11/15/tlk1 ... spital/dio system using PTTOC.
dc260
Regular
Regular

Re: PTT over Cellular

Post by dc260 »

I never understood PTT over cellular being advertised as superior to traditional radio solutions, of course it's suitable for certain applications in cities ect however the mobile network can be very flaky at times, especially in rural areas.
PTT over cellular relies on 4G LTE technology, I know for a fact where I live as well as other rural areas have almost non existent 4G reception (Dead spots).. Even 2G struggles with missed calls and such...
It may be suitable in locations such central London where as you said, the spectrum is crowded and it may be hard to obtain a license, but not for every application.
-
Mototrbo2020
Regular
Regular

Post by Mototrbo2020 »

Won't be much good with EE when the ESN gets going and priority jobs will take over the phone mast and reduced other non essential traffic (so they say).
Mototrbo2020
Regular
Regular

Post by Mototrbo2020 »

snapey75 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 10:36 Another onsite radio system using PTTOC.

Hope the mobile network never goes down and for years the radio companies have always said to say never rely on mobile networks and buy your own radio systems. I suppose radios licences are hard to get in London

https://www.wirefr3.com/2021/11/15/tlk1 ... spital/dio system using PTTOC.

Dead link?
snapey75
Regular
Regular

Post by snapey75 »

snapey75
Regular
Regular

Post by snapey75 »

The case study says the need for costly two way radio infrastructure is in the past. Surely paying a subscription for each radio for years on end is very expensive as well

Neil
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

The old Dolphin system worked well, but I think it was doomed because analogue PMR via community repeaters was dirt cheap and still very relevant at the time, while Dolphin cost an arm and a leg.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
f4phixeruk
Regular
Regular

Post by f4phixeruk »

dc260 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 11:19 I never understood PTT over cellular being advertised as superior to traditional radio solutions, of course it's suitable for certain applications in cities ect however the mobile network can be very flaky at times, especially in rural areas.
PTT over cellular relies on 4G LTE technology, I know for a fact where I live as well as other rural areas have almost non existent 4G reception (Dead spots).. Even 2G struggles with missed calls and such...
It may be suitable in locations such central London where as you said, the spectrum is crowded and it may be hard to obtain a license, but not for every application.
Not only rural areas. Some locations in Dundee are deadspots for 4G. Bit of a pain when talking on the phone, and it suddenly goes dead. Especially when you are in the open air !!
radtech
Call Sign: Rich

Post by radtech »

It would be interesting to see if there's any fallout after the recent storm which left some rural areas without power for a long period, taking phone masts of the air. What were the rural councils using for communication, probably nothing but mobile phones.

The utility company Northern Power have an extensive mast network and MPT1327 data network for communication, but nothing for voice for the line teams to communicate. Ive seen a few news clips showing some of the foreman using Airwave sets but they are probably from a emergency cache and spread thin.

I hope all of these rural phone masts with minimal overlap have decent battery backups in place when ESN goes live or everyone will be left in the dark.
Rich
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

And nothing heard from RAYNET....

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
snapey75
Regular
Regular

Post by snapey75 »

I have seen posts on some facebook raynet groups that some of them have started to use pttoc for some events. So much for highly skilled radio amateurs using the mobile network.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

I thought their expertise was in car parking for events..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Jokes aside - the skill is in communication, not electronics now - so people skilled at message passing are valuable. The railways for instance really struggle with radio coms - not because of the network but because people get confused with procedure, phonetics, writing down messages, using terminology - which are things Raynet do practice. A competent radio operator - amateur, marine, aviation or police, fire ambulance, public services can use any radio system more effectively. That is a skill ordinary folk don't need, so struggle with.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

Mototrbo2020 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 12:23 Won't be much good with EE when the ESN gets going and priority jobs will take over the phone mast and reduced other non essential traffic (so they say).
ESN radiates on a separate network code so domestic should not be affected
also ESN LOT4 rolled out extra ESN only sites

regards

BB
radtech
Call Sign: Rich

Post by radtech »

bigbloke wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 13:28
Mototrbo2020 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 12:23 Won't be much good with EE when the ESN gets going and priority jobs will take over the phone mast and reduced other non essential traffic (so they say).
ESN radiates on a separate network code so domestic should not be affected
also ESN LOT4 rolled out extra ESN only sites

regards

BB
Some extra sites are being built, but not enough to match Airwave coverage in some of the rural areas I fear.
Rich