Backup Power

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
LondonCbRadio

Re: Backup Power

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Metradio wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:27 Are you professionally paranoid ?

Mike
I just googled your callsign and this came up is it you ?

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

We are after all in the UK , we have a very different country to stateside and suffer none of the disasters they do or even for want of a better words the survivalist mentality in society.
However we have become heavily reliable on mobile phones ,internet landline phone networks whilst they still continue and whilst I hang filled toes into all of the other bar radio my mind is open and I see a use even necessity for coms as a emergency com.

I remember as a kid my old fella driving ambulances I think due to strikes maybe and radio hams providing coms unless I am mistaken.
Not so far back and certainly not unrealistic if outages transpired.
I'm certainly not paranoid myself but found it all interesting
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 12:34
Metradio wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:27 Are you professionally paranoid ?

Mike
I just googled your callsign and this came up is it you ?
Hmm a paranoid stalker...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Cornelius
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

When i restored my house 10 years ago, i put 6 kWh of 12 Volt battery in the basement charged/maintained with 500 W solar panels, and installed 12 Volt outlets parallel with the mains in the house. I run most of the lights, the internet router and network, and of course; the CB on the 12 Volt battery. ;)

I also got a cabin up in the woods which is battery/solar powered, far from people and infrastructure. Needless to say, it's a noise-free CB-heaven. ;)
Chanty Wrassler
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 29E41

Post by Chanty Wrassler »

Got a small 3kw genset on manual stand-by, as power cuts in the sticks happens a couple of times a year and often for several hours if trees have snapped power poles, etc. Pre-genset, the worst one was in 2014 when I was without power for 4 or 5 days. That really pushed me into getting a genset, even if only a small one.
Down at the consumer unit, there are two main feeders I can unplug from the mains and simply plug them into a distribution plug box, feeding the kitchen and the shack.
The genset will run the oil burner and lights, as well as the TV and radio gear, so I'm all set.
dt630
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26dt630

Post by dt630 »

Mototrbo2020 wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 18:36 Clarke 2k genny running extension lead or split into a plug socket so it feeds the ground floor ring main.
Don't forget to switch your mains in trip to off or you'll be trying to power the whole country.
Midget
“Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”
WWG1WGA
Mototrbo2020
Regular
Regular

Post by Mototrbo2020 »

dt630 wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 08:32
Mototrbo2020 wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 18:36 Clarke 2k genny running extension lead or split into a plug socket so it feeds the ground floor ring main.
Don't forget to switch your mains in trip to off or you'll be trying to power the whole country.
Yep :D
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

I guess with the planned power cuts coming everyone has their back up batteries charged and ready ?
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

I wouldn't worry about back up power for a CB radio, unless you'll miss the sounds of truckers honking their horns and people playing music down the radio.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
madsmells
Regular
Regular

Post by madsmells »

i have old small extra bettery under bucket
making the ham radio from bushes on side of M25 under my tarpulin
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Can't say that i'm that desperate to be on air that i keep a backup power supply incase of a far and few between power cut
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Be good to hear the radio with no qrm. You can always use cans and string to talk to your family in bad times. Dear oh dear how negative are some people. Bury head in the sand and hope for the best then.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

Ant wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 09:08 I wouldn't worry about back up power for a CB radio, unless you'll miss the sounds of truckers honking their horns and people playing music down the radio.
Most cb radio operators wouldn't have back up power anyway. And even if they did they wouldn't leave the 19 or they could have a panic attack so you won't have to worry.