Deadline for completion of EMF assessment approaches

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
M3PIE
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26EK1701

Post by M3PIE »

To comply with Ofcom's new EMF regulation UK radio amateurs need to complete an EMF Assessment by November 18 for transmitting equipment operating on frequencies above 110 MHz

To assist with this process the RSGB has made available a new Pre-assessed Configurations document covering VHF/UHF beam antennas, titled "PAEC-2: Rotatable Beam Antennas for 50 MHz to 1.3 GHz".

That document along with a new version of the RSGB's EMF Calculator (v11a) and other helpful information is available on the RSGB EMF page at
https://rsgb.org/emf
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: Deadline for completion of EMF assessment approaches

Post by paulears »

I’d bet that the majority just did the ofcom tick list, determined all was well and printed it out. I’ve done it for my ham, marine and business radios. Determined no risk/low risk needed no action, and moved on. The government have told us and reminded us and their international obligations are done. Move on. The few people with flow charts that revealed a problem have paid attention, and probably determined they are also safe too. I don’t see anyone who has invested in real expensive antenna systems not having paid some attention. Have you seen how much rotators are? I’d suggest owners with that kind of investment paid more attention than those only owning a handheld. The handheld folk probably didn’t do anything.
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Who cares ???

when they start asking 100w channel 19 hogging retarded CBers to do it then i will..
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

Oh here we go....
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Ant

Post by Ant »

paulears wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 07:08 I’d bet that the majority just did the ofcom tick list, determined all was well and printed it out. I’ve done it for my ham, marine and business radios. Determined no risk/low risk needed no action, and moved on. The government have told us and reminded us and their international obligations are done. Move on. The few people with flow charts that revealed a problem have paid attention, and probably determined they are also safe too. I don’t see anyone who has invested in real expensive antenna systems not having paid some attention. Have you seen how much rotators are? I’d suggest owners with that kind of investment paid more attention than those only owning a handheld. The handheld folk probably didn’t do anything.
Of course they didn't, they're transmitting below 10w erp.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Not bothered with all that nonsense...🙄
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

I meant that many people looked at what OFCOM gave them and decided not to do anything, including reading it - not that because they were below the limit they didn't.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Who gives a f***?

Ofcom and their enforcement section aren't worth the ink spent printing out their letterhead. Four months ago myself and a number of others reported a pirate radio station interfering with Channel 0 marine comms even giving the exact location of the transmitter, Ofcom 'noted for intelligence' and closed every report but took no action. In the end we managed to get the site owner to action removal of the transmitter and secure the roof.

I'll continue to operate as I have done for the last 37 years and Ofcom can get stuffed with their pointless bureaucracy.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I don't know why people are throwing tantrums over it. A little paper work and a few calculations. It's always been around, but wasn't mandatory for amateurs. I can't see why some people are in a het up rage and panic over it.

stinkybob
Regular
Regular

Post by stinkybob »

I didn't see anything, I don't know anything, I won't be bothering to do anything, and Ofcom can just chase me down if they think they have a right to. As pointed out, they're worse than useless at everything else.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

People hate being told anything to do with safety. They seem to object to anything that needs thought - if it has done anything it's focussed the mind on the fact that RF energy is not always safe. No idea why people take the hump at things meant to make life safer. I remember standing in a radar site and there was a sign saying "A positive radiation hazard exists more than 2.4m above ground" and I remember looking up and wondering how high my hand had to go to get to 2.4m, and then I worked out that my fingers would actually be 2.4m high and then sticking my hands in my pockets.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I just put 1KW out at 450MHz on a wet day and if there's no steam coming off the stack then I'm good, box ticked
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition