Ham readio sucks

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
stinkybob
Regular
Regular

Ham readio sucks

Post by stinkybob »

I'm a M7 with only 2m and 70cm equipment, and from my experience all I can say is, what a bunch of dire, boring, old, grumpy, snooty bunch of miserable bastards ham radio operators seem to be. As an M7 the only time anybody will even acknowledge your call is to tell you off for not doing something strictly by the book. I even got shouted down for saying "em seven" as opposed to "mike seven" when giving my call sign. I've listened to repeaters for days at a time hearing absolutely not a peep on them and then when somebody finally chimes in for a radio check they get told to stop wasting repeater time. And my GOD am I sick and tired of hearing about people's prostrates and various medical conditions. Ham radio seems to be strictly a complaints forum for miserable old geezers. No wonder the hobby is worse than dead.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Ham readio sucks

Post by ch25 »

You listen in a wrong places.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Never used ham "readio" myself but as said you are listening in the wrong places.
Plenty going on have you tried ssb.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

ch25 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 00:25 You listen in a wrong places.
It's probably hard to listen in Poland from the UK.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

I hear UK daily here. +40dB sometimes
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

ch25 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 19:14 I hear UK daily here. +40dB sometimes
Well if propogation on 2m/70cms is that good you must hear the same people that the OP is referring to. I've heard people say similar things about hams in my area too. I'm presuming it's a uniquely British thing.
Last edited by Otter on 03 Oct 2021, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

I see your problem..

Your inability to spell radio is probably an example of your operating skills and band plan knowledge.

You get out of a hobby what you put in to it.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

bigpimp347 wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 20:16 I see your problem..

Your inability to spell radio is probably an example of your operating skills and band plan knowledge.

You get out of a hobby what you put in to it.
To be fair, he is new to it. I would be the same if I started using ham bands. I make lots of typos too - it comes from looking at the keys when typing and then not proof reading properly.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Wtf is 'readio' ???🤔

You really do sound like a bitter, foul mouthed thicko with a huge chip on his shoulder.....intent on trolling an causing as much aggro as poss.. 🙄
Alucard
Call Sign: TW4T

Post by Alucard »

stinkybob wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 23:32 I'm a M7 with only 2m and 70cm equipment, and from my experience all I can say is, what a bunch of dire, boring, old, grumpy, snooty bunch of miserable bastards ham radio operators seem to be. As an M7 the only time anybody will even acknowledge your call is to tell you off for not doing something strictly by the book. I even got shouted down for saying "em seven" as opposed to "mike seven" when giving my call sign. I've listened to repeaters for days at a time hearing absolutely not a peep on them and then when somebody finally chimes in for a radio check they get told to stop wasting repeater time. And my GOD am I sick and tired of hearing about people's prostrates and various medical conditions. Ham radio seems to be strictly a complaints forum for miserable old geezers. No wonder the hobby is worse than dead.
Someone who finally tells it like it is :D
Never ask a starfish for directions.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

stinkybob wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 23:32 I'm a M7 with only 2m and 70cm equipment, and from my experience all I can say is, what a bunch of dire, boring, old, grumpy, snooty bunch of miserable bastards ham radio operators seem to be. As an M7 the only time anybody will even acknowledge your call is to tell you off for not doing something strictly by the book. I even got shouted down for saying "em seven" as opposed to "mike seven" when giving my call sign. I've listened to repeaters for days at a time hearing absolutely not a peep on them and then when somebody finally chimes in for a radio check they get told to stop wasting repeater time. And my GOD am I sick and tired of hearing about people's prostrates and various medical conditions. Ham radio seems to be strictly a complaints forum for miserable old geezers. No wonder the hobby is worse than dead.
Where in the UK are you based?

Unfortunately repeaters are a bit, well, like that, but I'm disappointed that you've been given a hard time.

Try getting on the calling frequencies, FM and USB, you'll probably soon find your way in the hobby, it can take time.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
deadite66
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM7373

Post by deadite66 »

listened around on 2m and 70cm for ages, they are very quiet bands here, i've heard more action on cb.
SDRPlay RSP1A + CrossCountryWireless Loop
Icom IC7410 + thunderpole boomerang
Retevis RT90 (opengd77) + Diamond x50
Yupiteru MVT-9000MKII, Baofeng DM-1801 (with opengd77)
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

Hey he'' may be dyslexic ? be amazed even with good spelling and the attitude hence spell checking! many hams gone on 2meter via wifi - example you look on qrz all stations suddenly have 1000 plus, odd contacts! and not from rf lol going into ham radio blind and not from a radio club could show frustrations ,just saying lol good to communicate SQ SQ etc
WaveScanner
New User
New User

Post by WaveScanner »

I've listened to a group of men complain about the weather for 20mins, how far they used to be able to cycle and what's for tea.
Problem is if you don't spend the time building up a decent list of repeaters or frequencys to listen to that's what you get.
The south Shields repeat is great, plenty of calls from all over the world. Give it a try
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

It's a hobby guys? There will be boring and interesting or pleasant or snooty people on any communications medium - voice or text. I never chat to people on any of the bands I use if I'd not talk to them face to face. Ignore idiots - and as for not being able to say 'M' - I've never heard such rubbish. Whoever objected to that is seriously deranged - you ONLY use phonetics when you need them to be understood - hence why I have ALWAYS used non-nato ones with foreigners who have trouble with English - So I am George 4 Radio Mexico Texas - words nobody ever gets confused. In fact on HF it's an advantage - "go ahead the Mexico Texas station" then they find out I'm a boring old Brit! Whenever somebody responds to me in that tone of voice we're talking about, I totally ignore it and usually repeat it so they know I am not going to change my way of speaking to suit them.