Replacement long 27 mhz telescopic antennas ?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Replacement long 27 mhz telescopic antennas ?

Post by original45 »

Anyone found any that were long over 5' that stand up to use and actually work ok.
Looking to upgrade the intek 520 ht some.
Already see a improvement over standard with the Albrecht 21' but looking for something like the binatone long ranger antenna types of the 80s long telescopic jobs.
Prefer bmc fitting but could adapt other I'm sure
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Re: Replacement long 27 mhz telescopic antennas ?

Post by lambrettadave »

Have you thought about a so239 type CB antenna?
Like a ml145 type antenna
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

In honestly Dave I put a sirio carbonium on it yesterday but I felt it too heavy .
I have a ml 145 ,will try that tomoz may be a touch lighter.

Probably the way to go mate in honexty
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

3/8th's mount and a 7ft Firestik I reckon. That'll build up those wrist muscles while you talk too ;)

Don't they do one of those unfolding military-type handheld aerials for 27mhz yet?
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Yes saw a folder last night about 7£ but after a friend's experience 3 broken one after another I'm not too excited about them.
For sure the mobile ships are the better option however their a little too big to be carrying around where as a retractable telescopic will shorten simply.

Maybe cb isn't so popular so as the Chinese won't build so many antenna options like they do for baofeng.
After sorting a few crushed wires inside this intek and rust !! I'm amazed by its receive.
Compared to my eurozone it's fantastic like Steve Austin biopic ear lol
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

For lightness with a reasonable distance in mind, perhaps either a 4ft Cherokee Dial-a-Match or Half-Breed would suffice? The coils are smallish and you could even cut the whip into 2 for portability and use one of those bullet-shaped whip connector blocks. A 3/8" adapter should suffice.

Or try your portapak aerial as a temporary comparison and maybe buy another at some point.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

If you're going 3/8 base you might as well get a telescopic 1/4 wave :D

https://www.radioworld.co.uk/buddipole- ... copic-whip
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Now they look interesting and long could be ideal . Anyone used these ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I'd just be worried that the strain would be too much on the handheld radio's plastic housing to mount it directly.

Now if one of those could be mounted on something and then a patch lead used inbetween, then that'd be interesting. As you'd be using a patch lead/ co-ax to connect it, you could swr it in too :)
Arcangelny
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: KAAN9182

Post by Arcangelny »

Hello gentlemen,
New on this sight. I am in the US and gather many of you are not. I use a midland 75-822 to monitor 11 meters at my second home on the beach. I recently got a sturdy telescopic for it on Amazon. Maker is UAYESOK.
Not sure of availability ooutside of US. There is also a seller on Ebay, Jeepbangkok, who makes a large 27Mhz collapsible. It matches great and TX/RX is very good BUT in a strong wind by the beach it twisted up. I have had the UAYESOK for a shorter time. But it seems to work well and is the sturdiest telescopic I have found. I have had the onne I mentioned from Ebay and the one from Cobra (which was sturdy but shorter and limited in range), the UAYESOK seems to be the best so far. I must admit I made longer distance contacts with the Ebay one but I have not had the UAYESOK as long. Final note as someone mentioned the so called tactical, aka military, found one here locally for 27Mhz. Broke in a week. Replaced by seller. 2nd broke in 2 days. I gave up. It was the only 27Mhz tactical I found.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

original45 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 09:38 Now they look interesting and long could be ideal . Anyone used these ?
I use two in a 3/8 dipole centre, you need to treat them with some respect when opening and closing but they've stood up to some high winds and perform well. They're very light and small enough to fit in a rucsack or suitcase but I'm not sure I'd want to walk around with one on top of a handset :lol:
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lambrettadave »

If you are thinking of dxing with your handheld why not get a antenna like a starduster or similar tripod type antenna.
Or even a tripod for a camping satellite dish that can be pegged down and then you could use any antenna you want

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

You know what Dave that's a blooming good idea, I got a couple of tripod type antennas lemm and a sirio signal keeper..
I will have play with those. Tested a sirio 145 worked Well standing alone

Have picked up a second midland 77 805 with another original antenna and the rubber duck type too but intend to make a adapter for the telescopic antenna to fit the intek too see how that works
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lambrettadave »

This is what I also thought of as these can be pegged down and they are light too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Lol I got one like that too, came with some ham gear I bought few years ago. Had some light weight alloy swadged poles sets too.
Will try and put it all together see how it goes.

I think I I was just singularly minded on a antenna to fit straight on the radio in ways.
yes I think they would defo need ground pegs.

I wonder if theirs a height the sirio signal keeper works best at ?.