New QTH

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: New QTH

Post by The Collector »

I'd go for decent twin & earth, protected by some conduit of some kind if you can't find some armoured cable. Thick reel cable would do if you get desperate though, so long as you pay heed to the rating on it.

You could run it underground (minimum 15" to avoid garden spades) if you can seal the conduit well, or say run it high up along the fencing away from.pets/kids. You could even run it in a plastic conduit that's suspended in the air from the house to the top apex of the shed. Perhaps add a drip-loop or seal it well if you do this though or the rain could run down it into the shed.

I used mains cable (2.5mm) for my loft-shack as I'll only ever run about 800watts through it (oil-filled radiator in winter and only a fan while I'm in there in the summer). Lighting cable (1.5mm) would be a bit too thin to be honest.. it's better to go a bit over-the-top to be safe, so your thoughts on 4mm wouldn't be an issue. Just wiring the thicker wires into sockets etc would be more tricky ;)
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

I'd be inclined to seek professional advice on this rather than the opinions of well meaning amateurs. No one knows the earthing system in use at your property or the end to end resistance of the circuit you intend spurring into. Chances are you'll get away with spurring in any old bit of T+E but if you're happy to spend hundreds of quids on building the shack don't scrimp on electrical safety.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

To save on cash and time you could always just run a thick cable reel from a socket in the kitchen etc, through an open window and in through a sealed hole into the shed. Take out the plug when it's not in use. Voila! ;)

All you'll have to do then is take off the plug from the cable reel, run it through the shed wall into the kitchen window and stick the plug back on. There's no need for an electrician to fit a switched, fused spur etc then or wire sockets inside the shed itself. Just buy the best cable you can, with say 4 sockets that's also got built-in circuit breakers.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

I can not afford a profesional electrician so I will have to bodge it :D I have ordered 10 meters of 6MM cable and water proof bendy tubing for it to go in. I had a natter to the sparky in work and he said as long as im not running washing machines and mig welders I'll be fine so thats the plan and I can always upgrade it later.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Perhaps your workmate would kindly check over it once done, just to ensure it's safe enough to use.

I used to do a bit of very basic wiring for my dad a few decades ago, but times and laws have changed and other than perhaps fitting a plug, it's best to get a "leccy" as we used to call them, to do the work, or at the very least to give it a once-over. It might even pay you to install a small fuseboard that isolates your shed's power, complete with trip. They're only about £12 or so.

We wouldn't your shed, complete with your Fidelity 1000 collection going up in smoke ;)
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Im going to get an RCD as they are cheap enough. Anyway the shed build starts next week end and the electrics will probably be one of the last jobs. My Fidelity collection is safe tucked up in my attic :D
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If you're running cables inside plastic conduits then later is fine wiring-wise, but if you want them neatly hidden behind the ply, then get it sorted as soon as the shed itself is sorted.

You want:

*Cable to shed if going underground.

*Base for shed - slabs, concrete slab, gravel inside plastic grids.

*Build shed.

*Sort electrics if wires being hidden. Work out where sockets are best located.

*Fit insulation (recommended - foil-lined foam, keeps cooler in summer, warmer in winter).

*Fit plywood or plasterboard inner lining.

*Fit shelving, worktop etc.

*Fit sockets (plenty) in place and necessary lighting. Remember LED or fluorescent may give out RF noise!).

Paint the plywood, carpet the floor, hang up a Picasso and plonk down a vase of flowers..you're done :)

***Maybe also fit an alarm of some sort and maybe a decent pair of hasp/staple and padlocks, to make the scrotes work for their ill-gotten gains.

Bolt the hinges through the framework in a couple of places so they can't undo the hinge's screws and undo the door that way.
Fit some 90 degree "L" brackets so you can bolt or screw the shed down onto the base if you can. I've literally picked up sheds at one end before now to show people how insecure they are!
Maybe fit a security light or two overlooking the shed, front and back if you can...they're only about £10-£15 each.

Food for thought ;)
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

The Collector wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 22:30 If you're running cables inside plastic conduits then later is fine wiring-wise, but if you want them neatly hidden behind the ply, then get it sorted as soon as the shed itself is sorted.

You want:

*Cable to shed if going underground.

*Base for shed - slabs, concrete slab, gravel inside plastic grids.

*Build shed.

*Sort electrics if wires being hidden. Work out where sockets are best located.

*Fit insulation (recommended - foil-lined foam, keeps cooler in summer, warmer in winter).

*Fit plywood or plasterboard inner lining.

*Fit shelving, worktop etc.

*Fit sockets (plenty) in place and necessary lighting. Remember LED or fluorescent may give out RF noise!).

Paint the plywood, carpet the floor, hang up a Picasso and plonk down a vase of flowers..you're done :)

***Maybe also fit an alarm of some sort and maybe a decent pair of hasp/staple and padlocks, to make the scrotes work for their ill-gotten gains.

Bolt the hinges through the framework in a couple of places so they can't undo the hinge's screws and undo the door that way.
Fit some 90 degree "L" brackets so you can bolt or screw the shed down onto the base if you can. I've literally picked up sheds at one end before now to show people how insecure they are!
Maybe fit a security light or two overlooking the shed, front and back if you can...they're only about £10-£15 each.

Food for thought ;)
I think you should post an advert in the for sale section, entitled "man cave or shack in a shed erection services" You'd make a fortune. :thumbup: So, alright, you wouldn't make a fortune but it would be interesting to see shack sheds called "Dave Made" :lol: Actually, wasn't there a range of amplifiers in the US that were Dave Made? :?:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Me and my pal had a shack in the garden we used to hang out in when we were boys, I wired it up with a light and a socket, Problem is the roof had more holes than a tetley teabag, So every time it rained we got zapped by the odd shock, :shock:

Kids miss out on that kinda fun these days :lol:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Buick Mackane wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 23:01 Me and my pal had a shack in the garden we used to hang out in when we were boys, I wired it up with a light and a socket, Problem is the roof had more holes than a tetley teabag, So every time it rained we got zapped by the odd shock, :shock:

Kids miss out on that kinda fun these days :lol:
Nothing more refreshing than a jolt of freshly soaked 240V!
Auldgeek - Drew

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Auldgeek wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 22:47
The Collector wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 22:30
I think you should post an advert in the for sale section, entitled "man cave or shack in a shed erection services" You'd make a fortune. :thumbup: So, alright, you wouldn't make a fortune but it would be interesting to see shack sheds called "Dave Made" :lol: Actually, wasn't there a range of amplifiers in the US that were Dave Made? :?:
Auldgeek wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 22:47
The Collector wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 22:30

I'm a carpenter by trade, but have done most things over the years apart from plumbing and plastering, so sheds are easy peasy...it's making them secure that's the issue.

My latest bit of shed-building was the below.
A chap I had to visit had had his mobility scooter stolen. I met his brother as the victim had to go into hospital for an operation, so while he was out of the way, his brother got the insurance replacement sorted and I gave him info on a shed to get to try and make it harder to steal the new scooter.
His brother ordered the shed and on the day it was delivered, I built it up, secured it to the floor and fitted a large ground-anchor, chains and padlocks for it, so the scooter would drive over the anchor and the chains would wrap around the middle of it...all free of charge.

I'm not supposed to do things like this, but I get away with murder and my bosses know what I'm like ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

That turned out a bit weird above lol.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Looks like an outdoor bog :thumbup:
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

The Collector wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 17:31 That turned out a bit weird above lol.
Here was me thinking it was some sort of strange "potting" shed.

Anyhoo, nice of you to do that, especially with what had happened. :thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's cool, you can drive the scooter right in there, get off the seat, fasten the chains and lock it up. You have to bend a little walking in and out as it's only about 5 1/2ft tall, I did especially being 6ft 4. I told his brother to get a magnetic sensor alarm fitted on the door too, just in case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.