New QTH

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

New QTH

Post by NightProwler »

So were moving house. Lovely house with a huge back garden so lots of space for dipoles my imax and maybe another beam who knows. My concern is the house comes with damn solar panels. Now if i had my way i would rip them down and chuck them out but the missus wont let me. Has anyone experienced any QRM with them because im worried im going to be hit with 30+ of noise right through the HF band.

Cheers dudes..Rich
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: New QTH

Post by MrWeetabix »

You may just have to suck it and see. Some people have loads of issues, others its absolutely a none-issue. Suppose it depends on the quality of the install and components used :-/
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

I know nothing about them but i heard they can be turned off so if i have to do that everytime i want to use the radio thats what il will have to do. Or rip them off the roof while she is out and hope she dont look up.
Cornelius
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

The solar panels themselves does not make any QRM, but the regulator and/or inverter might, depending on technology and quality...

I have some panels charging a 12 Volt battery bank with a Tristar PWM regulator, and that regulator makes a 400Hz hum on my radio when the sun shines and the bank are almost full, but it's quiet otherwise...

I also have a cheap inverter that makes horrible QRM, and a more expensive one that is quiet as a mouse... ;)

If your solar system are an approved grid-tied system, then it should be quiet?
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Update. We moved house and after a few days I set up my radios and chucked my Sirio GM up. No QRM at all so happy days.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

No QRM is a great news !
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

That just means that your solar panels aren't working lol ;)

That's great news, long may your radio-using days continue!
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Yeah but I have lost my shack so all I got now is my Yaesu FT757GXII and my Lincoln set up in the corner of the dining room and my GM on the line post. Time to buy a shed and insulate it properly. I checked the solar panel controls and they are on so im happy.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Solar panels ? Wheres the new house ? The bahamas ? :lol:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Admittedly, we need rain and cloud panels in this country :)

Shed-wise: get minimum 1/2" tanalized thick tongue and groove or shiplap boarding, insulate with 2" thick, foil-lined insulation foam panels (if the shed frame is deep enough that is, otherwise as thick as will fit it), then 1/2" plasterboard screwed all over it. It'll further insulate it, allow you to paint it, soundproof it a bit better and be more fire resistant ;)
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Righto lets wake this thread up again. So my radio's are set up in the dining room and it sucks. So in january I am ordering a 5X7 shiplap shed. I have a solid patio to put it on and it will be insulated and plywood put all around inside. I can get a lot of the materials from my work as long as the boss don"t catch me :D So thats my project for 2022, Should be fun.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If you line it with 9mm minimum plywood rather than 4mm or 6mm, it'll be nice to fix things to like shelving, mic' holders, 3-pin socket and light fittings etc, plus be more secure and have slightly better thermal insulating properties ;)
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Im not sure how thick the plywood is but it's free from work so I can't grumble :D Can not wait to get this project started.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Just ordered the 5X7 shiplap shed. Now to order some insulation and armoured power cable. Happy days.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Ok so does anyone have any suggestions for mains cable? The shed will be about 4 meters from the house, Im going to spur a sockect from the kitchen so I need about 10 meters of cable. There is not going to be 1KW amps and 10 computers running in there all at the same time just a few radios and one computer so not a massive load. I will put the cable into a water proof pipe, Would I be ok with 4MM cable like the grey cable used on cookers or would a good chunky mains cable like something from a good reel extension lead do the job?

Any help is greatly appriciated :thumbup:

Cheers...Rich :crazy: