CAT cable for Alinco DX-77 / DIY ERW-7

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
MikeSierra
Regular
Regular

CAT cable for Alinco DX-77 / DIY ERW-7

Post by MikeSierra »

Instead of paying ~50 quids for the Alinco ERW-7 cable for CAT control of the DX-77, I built my own with cheap parts.
Parts used:
Chinese CH340G USB to TTL adapter, from aliexpress.
BC557 PNP bipolar transistor.
Two wires 0.5mm2.
3.5mm stereo jack.
Short piece of heat shrink tube.

How the Alinco serial port works:
3.5mm stereo jack.. Sleeve is ground. Ring is RX and TX. Tip is not connected.
RX/TX line has a pull-up resistor inside the radio, setting the voltage to approx. 4 volts. When the PC or the radio is "talking", the line is pulled down to form the zeros and ones.

Small problem.. The CH340G USB to TTL stick has a 1.5k series resistor on TX output, leaving it without "juice" to pull the line down enough for the radio to interpret the low level correctly. Solution is to let a transistor do the pulling.
m_20210523_091130.jpg
m_20210523_090545.jpg

This works with my Alinco DX-77. It did however not work with Alinco DX-R8 - DX-R8 leaves low level signal at one volt, which is too much for the USB stick to read correctly (Not all Alinco radios are created equal).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeSierra
Regular
Regular

Re: CAT cable for Alinco DX-77 / DIY ERW-7

Post by MikeSierra »

Here is an oscilloscope screenshot from RX/TX line while trying to read settings from Alinco DX-R8 communications receiver.
Screen Shot 21-05-23 at 10.44 AM.JPG
First comes the command string from the computer. It is then followed by an answer from the radio.
The answer from the radio does not go lower than ~1.2 volts, which is over the threshold for the USB to TTL adapter.
Any suggestions on how to get it working?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeSierra
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSierra »

CH340_schema.jpg
LEDs D2 and D3 with series resistors are pulling up the voltage.
The LEDs needs to be removed.
MikeSierra
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSierra »

I removed LEDs D2 and D3 and now it's working with Alinco DX-R8 also.
MikeSierra
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSierra »

For this adapter to work with DriveR8 control program, hardware flow control function CTS needs to be disabled.
EDIT: this is likely to change in the near future.
That is done by connecting CH340G pin9 CTS to pin1 GND.
simeonGR
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: SY1DUG

Post by simeonGR »

Dear friend thanks for your instructions.I have a question, i have available FTDI FT232RL USB to TTL.Can i use it?Will it work?

Thanks