PMR446 Base Station

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: PMR446 Base Station

Post by Werthers »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 15:00
26mb04 wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 19:25 Probably, but you might have some issues:

1) The older rigs are often wide deviation, so you'll be keying over (AND hearing) the channel above and below the one you want to use;

2) Older gear won't set correctly on the 6.25kHz offset, so you'll only be able to use the channels that align with 12.5kHz, or 25kHz if it's really old.
UHF Cb would be the one. Nice small antenna no would clocking it.

No QRM,no saying sorry mate can't hear you even though you giving me signal 7 lol.

I know people won't believe me but i get out and receive better on PMR446 then on CB Radio.

I can chat to people on PMR446 that are giving me no signal. Can anyone do that on CB Radio ?

Diehard CB guys will hate what i'm saying but it's true.
Thats interesting... I've had augments with people about certain bands being able to reach further than others but in some peoples eyes its all black and white and are to ignorant to experiment with bands. From my experience with experimenting its a lot more complex and not so black and white because its based on so many factors that a lot of people are ignorant and will claim they know best without the experience.

Lower frequency goes further than high frequency that's true. I can get out really good on 70 MHz but 27 MHz not as good but then when conditions are right I can get into the US. I can get further locally on 2 meters than on CB in some cases also 70cms has really blown my mind recently of how far that can go at times, and I'm talking simplex and not repeaters. Its based on many factors and not so black and white as people make it out to be.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

In clear space I think Higher frequency goes further. it is just that higher frequencies are more affected by obstacles.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

The bottom line is cb radio has far too much interference and so it's range is very limited in some areas. I've put it to the test many times and cb radio has never won a battle. I've never once spoke to someone on CB Radio that is homebase that don't have interference. I Love cb but it's not usable unless local due to interference.