New expansion - uPD2824 chassis

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: New expansion - uPD2824 chassis

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 19:42 s/w upload
dt307 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:51 updates.....
slight prob with software not sure the issue
xloader to upload hex file to nano clone .....works super simple all is needed is the usb lead 15734 bytes uploaded

Hi Sue .

Can you just confirm the procedure and settings for the initial hex s/w upload . I'm using Win7 and Xloader . Am I supposed to be using the ribbon cable AVR programmer connected to the 6 pin header on the 328 , or a standard USB "B" cable from my PC directly into the mini B USB port on the 328 ? Also , do I need to download a dedicated USBasp driver for this to work ? I have no COM device showing up in Device Manager when I use the 6 pin header cable , although I did get a pop up saying that it was installing the USBasp driver when I first connected it . I do get a new COM port appearing when I connect a dedicated USB B cable to the nano directly. At present Xloader is just hanging in the "Uploading" state , so I'm pretty sure that my set up is wrong Also . When it's working I assume (again) that the upload should take no time at all to complete ? I have the "PWR" led lit on my 328 and the "L" led is flashing steadily once every couple of seconds .

Thanks
Last edited by cb4ever104 on 12 Nov 2021, 16:45, edited 3 times in total.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Nice work sammy
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

OK . Rebooted the PC , and started from scratch and got it loaded .
Capture_1.JPG
All you need is a standard (old) USB "B" cable .

1) Switch on radio
2) Power on PC .
3) Connect USB cable to nano . You should see a driver install message on initial connection .
4) Check Device Manager for the COM port .
5) Open Xloader , and select the COM port and file . Leave speed setting as is 57600
6) Click on Upload and you should see some activity on the nano . Once it's finished you should have 2 leds "PWR" and "L" constantly lit .

I've still got a few wires to connect before I get to the Win app setup , so more to follow .

S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

There are two connectors on the Nano, a 6 pin header and the USB. The USB in this application is only used after the firmware is loaded, for configuring the clarifier and offsets.

The firmware can't be uploaded via the USB in this case, that would require the original "bootloader" code section (which contains the USB routines) to be kept intact. Good enough for Arduino interpreted "maker" projects like blinky LED Christmas decorations, but not here for two reasons - it would slow it down too much (the clarifier could feel "laggy"), and not leave enough room for the 5351 code to be uploaded.

So for this one, the stock bootloader has to go. That needs the 6 way header (GND, MOSI, MISO, SCK, RST, and VCC) and programmer hardware, such as USBASP.

Can't remember which app you used on that Realistic 858 you did, probably AVRDude or ExtremeAVR. Just use the same one you used before, if you cant remember or figure it out let us know here and I'll do a step-by-step with screen captures.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 20:05 That needs the 6 way header (GND, MOSI, MISO, SCK, RST, and VCC) and programmer hardware, such as USBASP.

Can't remember which app you used on that Realistic 858 you did, probably AVRDude or ExtremeAVR. Just use the same one you used before, if you cant remember or figure it out let us know here and I'll do a step-by-step with screen captures.

Hi Sue .

OK . Well , It looks like I've done it wrong then . I was just copying the way Chris seemingly did his .

Capture_4.JPG

Initially I did try using the same way that I did it with the 858 , but I didn't see the 328 listed in the chip settings .

Capture_5.JPG

I don't need a step by step Sue . Just the ExtremeAVR settings would be appreciated , and I'll load it again .

FYI . All the images that you posted for the 858 using "Tinypic" have now disappeared . Not sure if they're gone forever , or if it will affect your other posts . It'll be a shame if they all go in time as it'll be difficult to follow some of your builds without images .

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=49985

Thanks

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

What version (Help / About should show this) of ExtremeAVR are you using? The XML file for the app may need updating, I can give you the details if you know XML, or generate a new file and test it here first if you don't know it.

Will need the ExtremeAVR version, and the chip type used on your Nano (could be 168, 168P, 328, or 328P) to create and test a new XML. If all goes OK, I'll upload or email it - just overwrite the old one and it should work.

Those Tinypics are gone forever - Photob***t weren't making enough from the ads so they changed it from free to $US499 a year. Not too many took them up on the offer (no surprise there!) and they shut it down.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 10:05 Will need the ExtremeAVR version, and the chip type used on your Nano (could be 168, 168P, 328, or 328P) to create and test a new XML.
Hi Sue .

Thanks for the reply .

Extreme burner hasn't been updated since 2012 I think , so as you say , it may need "modifying" for the 328P .

What s/w did you use to load yours ? Mine are 328s .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402340791004

P.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Some sellers swap them for the non-P version, or even 168/168Ps, depends which one was a cent cheaper when they bought their last few reels. Best to look on the IC to be 100% sure.

Once you reply with the chip and app versions, I'll make and test an updated XML when we get to the shop tomorrow. When you update it, the chip you are using should show in the device list.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 10:54 Once you reply with the chip and app versions, I'll make and test an updated XML when we get to the shop tomorrow. When you update it, the chip you are using should show in the device list.
Hi Sue .

With my failing eyesight :) , it took me a while to get the light right , but it's a 328P .

I'm using V1.4 . The chips.xml for the 168 looks like this

<CHIP>
<NAME>ATmega168</NAME>
<FLASH>16384</FLASH>
<EEPROM>512</EEPROM>
<SIG>0x0006941E</SIG>
<PAGE>128</PAGE>
<LFUSE layout="2">YES</LFUSE>
<HFUSE layout="3">YES</HFUSE>
<EFUSE layout="2">YES</EFUSE>
<LOCK>YES</LOCK>
<CALIB>YES</CALIB>
<PLACEMENT>.\Images\Placements\ZIF_DIP_40.bmp</PLACEMENT>
</CHIP>

If you want to post the differences between the 168 and 328P , then I can add the info and try it .

Thx
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Try this:

<CHIP>
<NAME>ATmega328P</NAME>
<FLASH>32768</FLASH>
<EEPROM>1024</EEPROM>
<SIG>0x000F951E</SIG>
<PAGE>256</PAGE>
<LFUSE layout="2">YES</LFUSE>
<HFUSE layout="5">YES</HFUSE>
<EFUSE layout="4">YES</EFUSE>
<LOCK>YES</LOCK>
<CALIB>YES</CALIB>
<PLACEMENT>.\Images\Placements\ZIF_DIP_40.bmp</PLACEMENT>
</CHIP>

Haven't tested it, won't be at the shop until later today. If it doesn't work, let us know and I'll find a 1.4, install it, and work out why...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Thanks . Will do . I'll try it tomorrow and let you know .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 18:18 Haven't tested it, won't be at the shop until later today. If it doesn't work, let us know and I'll find a 1.4, install it, and work out why...

Hi Sue .

The chip erases fine , but it's failing during the write .
Write_1.JPG
Just to confirm again . I'm doing a write "all" , which includes flash , eeprom and fuse bits . Right ?

Thanks again
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

It's failing verification at the first bit, so a communications error there somewhere. I'll try and recreate it later today, still have the board set up in the 2824.

If you are using an Nano or Mini board, you only need to program the flash memory, the others have already been done. The fuse bits and eeprom only need to be set if you bought the chip standalone, like you did for the Realistic a while back.

It's most likely a driver issue, but let us duplicate it here to work out what causes that error. I'll do it this afternoon.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Hi Sue. Ok. I'll have another play with it tomorrow.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 18:23 It's most likely a driver issue, but let us duplicate it here to work out what causes that error. I'll do it this afternoon.
I'm just using the Windows USBasp driver Sue .
usbasp.JPG
I tried it again on a different USB port just selecting the Write flash , but the error is exactly the same . It seems to load fine (L lit fo 7/8 secs) , but it's failing at the same verification part .

Paul
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .