Callsign format for PMR446?

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Callsign format for PMR446?

Post by Mikel »

26mb04 wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 19:26
paulears wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 17:19 Treat me stupid if you like, but please explain why somebody would want to use a callsign PMR446
Callsigns are great for DX, which does happen on '446 (I managed 79 miles a few summers ago, handheld-to-handheld). They're much quicker and easier than saying "I'm the OTHER dave from near Newquay" etc. There's no central register, and someone could use the same one, but the userbase is so small it's unlikely at the moment.
[/quote]

There is a central register for callsigns as I have already explained if you read my previous post regarding Charlie Tango callsigns which have become the most prevalent identification method being used at present in my experience on pmr446. :)

It is not compulsory obviously but if you want a 'central register' then it already exists and there are hundreds of callsigns from all over the world on there and this was started in 2009 (the year I joined).

Obviously someone could 'pirate' your callsign and it would not be illegal but then again if you 'pirate' an amateur callsign what do OFCOM do? I'll give you a clue - nothing.

But you are correct it is much quicker and easier than just your name and location when DXing. :thumbup:
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

OK folks, this thread needs to calm down. The language and references used are wholly unacceptable and not in line with group regulations. Several posts have been removed due to their nature. If this continues there'll be no option but to lock this thread. I hope it doesn't have to come to that.

Stay safe and stay well guys.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Maybe we could come up with callsign format just for pmr446? Anyone got any ideas or maybe just stick with what is most popular at present?

The post-code idea is quite good that someone suggested a while back but the trouble is that when the propagation is good and the continental stations start coming in again it is not going to mean much to them, where as they seem to understand the standard CB division numbers, 163 for Wales, 26 for England, 108 for Scotland etc.

Last summer most of the French station struggled with locations especially Welsh names as you can imagine, but all seemed to immediately know what 163 meant.

So if anyone has any ideas please air them on here :thumbup:
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Merkin
Regular
Regular

Post by Merkin »

Most people I here from Newport use Charlie Tange callsigns 4 dx cos of the Callsign directory maybe? didn’t know it goes back to 2009 cos I havnt joined yet cos I am waiting for mobile radio.
I only have a couple of baofengs but a local ham is selling me a wouxun KG-UV980P cos I want to go up the mountain with the others in the spring if allowed. Said he will phone me later.
didnt hear any french tho
Wasnt on mountin like some dudes tho.
Please support The British Dyslexia Association
Merkin
Regular
Regular

Post by Merkin »

Got wouxun KG-UV980P tri-band now, do you know Gareth MW0….. always selling stuff cos he is dealer at rallies but all shut so only 100 bucks with ariel for car with magnet and he programed the 16 channels for me – looking good
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Merkin wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 21:42 Got wouxun KG-UV980P tri-band now, do you know Gareth MW0….. always selling stuff cos he is dealer at rallies but all shut so only 100 bucks with ariel for car with magnet and he programed the 16 channels for me – looking good

Good radio that and a bargain at that price, they are around £300 new I think and 40 watts on UHF.

I am a big fan of Wouxun and I have handies for 2, 4, and 70cm from them.

If it’s the Gareth I think you mean, which it probably is, I know him quite well, in fact we were neighbours for a while.

I am a member of the local 446 page as well, there are nearly 600 members now. There are some good people on there, many of them licensed radio amateurs.

If you need help with anything they will help you as will a few on here as well.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

How many have a local PMR 446 group near them on facebook?

There must be quite a few now dotted around the country, I must admit I am not a great fan of facebook, as a forum like this is much better when you want to research stuff.

Facebook is great as a real time message system when you want to arrange a schedule or something like that I suppose.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Next time you are on air with your Wouxun let me know on here first and I will have a listen out for you but there are some big hills between us.

Saying that the last time I was in Newport with my scanner I walked to the top of Stow hill and could hear the Caerphilly Storenet repeater quite clearly on 453.100 which I was a bit surprised about as its a good 8 or 9 miles over some big hills.

The Storenet antenna is on the side of Iceland in the town centre opposite the castle.

If you look at the way the hills are arranged though i’m convinced that some reflection takes place possibly off Mynydd Machen to make this possible.

So you never know as propagation is quite strange at times. :thumbup:
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Double post - my computer seems to be going mad :)
Merkin
Regular
Regular

Post by Merkin »

Whisky1 wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 19:41
Mikel wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 06:44
Whisky1 wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 20:02
Yeah right :lol:
Is that your callsign? Yeah Right? Cq, cq, cq, this is Yeah right calling, Yeah right calling, located 5 miles north of 'Your avin a laugh' :lol:
No it isn't so what are you going to do about it ?
Ha ha, like whisky mind cos but gets a migraine going next day :lol:
Merkin
Regular
Regular

Post by Merkin »

Will be sat outside in car tomorow afternoon calling on 8. may sell of this set cos it is complicated really dave said he will lsiten for me as well.