Uhf coax dilemma

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Uhf coax dilemma

Post by original45 »

Need more advice and suggestions please 're uhf coax .in short I have a run up to 45' maybe 50.
Semi permanent set up and runs through a window hangs from pole across 20' patio so coax does sway and lots of movement so concerned in using lmr 400 or similar as I understand it's alloy and will snap if constantly flexed .

Really struggling with losses here to the base antenna.
I have rg 213 but it's thick heavy
8 mini too but bit too lossy.
Got rg 223 milspec but understand as bad as 58.

If it were a permanent install id run 400 lmr .what else is their I could consider that would take constant cable swaying in air and not be so lossy please and not break into Xmas funds too much.
Thank you
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Uhf coax dilemma

Post by ch25 »

Run steel rope and tie coax to it.
Belden H155 for example. 18dB/100m insertion loss on UHF.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Or Maybe Pope H100 8.8dB/100m at UHF
Problem is there is no such thing as cheap quality coax for UHF and up frequencies.
It is all expensive new and for 2nd hand you have to be sure it hasnt sat in a damp environment and absorbed moisture.
Hope that helps
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thank you both for suggestions hadn't heard of either coax so great to see alternatives.
Re used which may look more enticing money wise but I see it could be a problem and !at not be worth the gamble.
Still quite gobsmacked at the losses here .
Thank you guys still looking at the problem and considering my move.But appreciate your input as ever
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

RG223 is all good, it's used a lot in ham repeaters, if it was crap as RG58 hams would use RG58 or RG213 :D
RG9 is the larger stuff, RG214 even,
at UHF as said there's no such thing as cheap coax that's good.
most people run mini 8 although there's variations of that that's good and loads that's junk,
i use FSJ1-50 which is a RG58 sized LDF4-50 type coax.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Ah thank you bigpimp for the heads up on 223 ,this stuff I have is the m17.84 spec stuff.I believe from what I read that it's manufactured different spec to the normal 223 . I think it's losses on vhf uhf are as much as 58 too
I just couldn't see a use for it t first but looks ok for cb install in permanent situ.

Yup I'm still considering which coax to go for on uhf,weighing up cost loss so on as I only use uhf very occasionally but when I do I really hate the thought of losses.
Very expensive game this or at least can be
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Pope H100 was a favourite of mine but it is very stiff for a less than 10mm cable. 223 spec can be quite good and it's more flexible and of course, double shielded. This is good, but is also trickier with connectors.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Ofcourse another option to think about is to install a pre-amp at the antenna end of the coax that will overcome recieve losses.
But it must be able to handle your TX power, and again an amplifier to overcome losses can help as well.
BUT it all gets expensive.
If you only want to chat locally then I wouldnt worry too much, use rg213 or rg8 min even, but if you want distance then losses need minimising.
You could go down a directional beam route, but then you need a rotator to turn it.
See it all starts getting costly.

I use Westflex 103 for two yagis on 23cms and 1 on 70cms.
Rg213 runs to 2metre antenna.

Each run though is only about 10m or 33ft max.

Could you bring your antenna closer to the radio?
That might be another option to think about.
Decisions Decisions
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

I will look at the possibility of getting antenna closer but saying that it needs to go even higher as I'm not above apex of roof as yet.
However antenna will be closer then too So may gain a bit.