long range PMR 446 radios NEEDED please

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Re: long range PMR 446 radios NEEDED please

Post by DX-Digger »

Oh I agree with you that it is not a simple task for an older candidate, That is why there is plenty of help on the courses.

As for my haemorrhoids theyre doing just fine, but I am seriously fighting a chest infection and Asthma attacks, infact two weeks ago I was in ICU with it. :lol: :lol:
But hey you dont have to talk about health issues on ham radio, There are other shorter topics like CQ Contest CQ contest. :lol: :lol: :lol:
FT8 and the pro's and con's Morse code and wether it is a viable method of communication?

If you want to talk technical on how to set up a DVMega hotspot on a raspberry pi, or building a Portsdown4 DATV TX/RX
Or maybe constructing a QCX+ cw/ssb qrp rig, or Microwave transmitters using Gunn diode oscillators.(old school)
It is all subjects that I have spoken about on the air, as well as on forums and facebook etc.
Not all hams are boring old farts, but radio is what you make it.
It was only a suggestion for Warlock as he seems very keen about radio and he is always asking questions so is willing to learn.
My only comment is you get out of a hobby what you put into it, and discussing haemorrhoids is not in the sylabus. :lol: :lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Yes, I fully understand what you are saying and i will admit that ham radio is an amazingly varied hobby and I would have no hesitancy in recommending anyone make the effort to gain a license and your idea is certainly a good one. :thumbup:

For me, I can honestly say it changed my life for the better and fulfilled an ambition that I had from childhood when I first listened to my local 2m repeater (GB3BC) in the 70's on a radio I bought me from a market stall.

People tend to think it is just about boring old farts rag chewing on 40 meters on a Sunday morning, but I know it is much, much more than that. :)

Sadly there will always be a minority in all interests and hobby’s that deserve to have an imax 2000 inserted where the sun don't shine, and ham radio is no different, but they are indeed very much a minority.

What I say is very much tongue in cheek, and my comments are mainly intended to encourage discourse and debate. :)

In fact one fully licensed guy, Bob Walsh GW4UZW the trainer of No1 Welsh Wing ATC, Amateur Radio Society (sadly now silent key), went the extra mile to assist and encourage me, and I will never forget the determined effort he made to get permission off the base commander to allow a civilian to attend the facility a few years back :)

But anyway, I hope your chest gets better for Christmas :thumbup:
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I bought a couple of Retevis24 radios for my dad and his partner to communicate without having to shout between rooms (he's bed-bound and her mobility isn't great). They didn't get on with them so I took them away.

Mum is stopping with me during the covid situation and her health isn't great so I use the radios when I go out for a walk in case mum needs to call me back quickly.

On 0.5 watts we get clear communication at 700m line of sight, and that's when I'm down in the dip near the river. I've lost her if I go as far as the village centre at 1km but there are a lot more buildings in the way by then. I have a feeling that these would be very good from the top of a hill.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Mikel wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 08:56 Nothing wrong with amateur radio but not everyone wants to talk about tomato plants, haemorrhoids and the condition of your prostate :)

Do you know I haven't talked to anyone on an amateur frequency for ages, and the repeaters are like listening to paint dry - talk about mundane, boring conversation, as well as the cretins messing about, last time I used the local repeater I had to phone the Samaritans afterwards :D

I have gone back to using CB lately, there is a decent bunch around here at the moment and they run so much power I can hear them through the noise floor :thumbup:

Seriously though, one thing 'young' people take for granted is the ability to use a computer competently enough to set it up and use it to pass an exam.

I am an old fart myself but I have basic IT qualifications and have used computers in work for 15 years or so, and it has become a bit of a hobby for me with my Linux installations etc,

Many people of my age group (and older) including some of my friends can use the Facebook app on their phone or do basic non critical stuff like posting on a forum, but beyond that they are completely stuffed!

My kids struggle to believe me when I tell them I can remember the days before mobile phones and the Internet, and there were only 3 channels on the TV.

It looks like the online exam is here to stay for the foreseeable future and this makes access to an amateur license easier for most, but please don't under estimate what a major barrier this can be to those of an older persuasion.

I know, I know, it's easy just get someone to set it all up for them and away you go.

You may find this hard to believe but there are people of my age I come into contact with on a daily basis, who can't even master sending a text message from their phone, even after I have showed them how to do it a number of times.

It is a great suggestion to get the foundation license but please believe me it is not a simple process for many older folk who feel most comfortable with pen and paper and this is one reason why PMR446 can hold such an attraction for some.

I am not trying to make excuses for anyone honestly, but not everyone is au fait with the digital age.
My kids struggle to believe me when I tell them I can remember the days before mobile phones and the Internet, and there were only 3 channels on the TV.

Back then there was good stuff on TV. I only remember 4 channels then channel 5 appearing around 1996. Now we have a 100 plus channels with nothing but rubbish and political BS, repeats and American propaganda.

Anyway to keep on topic with the thread Baofeng BF888 make good PMR radios.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Werthers wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 23:12
Mikel wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 08:56 Nothing wrong with amateur radio but not everyone wants to talk about tomato plants, haemorrhoids and the condition of your prostate :)

Do you know I haven't talked to anyone on an amateur frequency for ages, and the repeaters are like listening to paint dry - talk about mundane, boring conversation, as well as the cretins messing about, last time I used the local repeater I had to phone the Samaritans afterwards :D

I have gone back to using CB lately, there is a decent bunch around here at the moment and they run so much power I can hear them through the noise floor :thumbup:

Seriously though, one thing 'young' people take for granted is the ability to use a computer competently enough to set it up and use it to pass an exam.

I am an old fart myself but I have basic IT qualifications and have used computers in work for 15 years or so, and it has become a bit of a hobby for me with my Linux installations etc,

Many people of my age group (and older) including some of my friends can use the Facebook app on their phone or do basic non critical stuff like posting on a forum, but beyond that they are completely stuffed!

It looks like the online exam is here to stay for the foreseeable future and this makes access to an amateur license easier for most, but please don't under estimate what a major barrier this can be to those of an older persuasion.

I know, I know, it's easy just get someone to set it all up for them and away you go.

You may find this hard to believe but there are people of my age I come into contact with on a daily basis, who can't even master sending a text message from their phone, even after I have showed them how to do it a number of times.

It is a great suggestion to get the foundation license but please believe me it is not a simple process for many older folk who feel most comfortable with pen and paper and this is one reason why PMR446 can hold such an attraction for some.

I am not trying to make excuses for anyone honestly, but not everyone is au fait with the digital age.

Back then there was good stuff on TV. I only remember 4 channels then channel 5 appearing around 1996. Now we have a 100 plus channels with nothing but rubbish and political BS, repeats and American propaganda.

Yes, I already suggested those earlier on in the thread, they are very effective for the money. :)
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Mikel wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 06:35
Werthers wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 23:12 .

Yes, I already suggested those earlier on in the thread, they are very effective for the money. :)
Wayzgoosebob
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M7ASC

Post by Wayzgoosebob »

Just to muddy the waters a touch, the Baofeng BF-888s is also available as a legal pmr446 radio. This is also known as a BF-88e. I have a pair of these, not labelled BF-88e but come with fixed antenna, 0.5 watt and sixteen channels.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

The stock antennas on the BF888S aren't that good, I'm currently planing on replacing the stock antenna's on all my BF888S radios for something better its just a matter of seeking out the best priced & performance UHF antennas for them. Those 3 watts they put out are wasted on those stock antennas.

It will be a big improvement to the performance of the BF888S
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Range is definitely down to height/conditions and terrain etc, but dont go writing off the legal radios just yet.

I actually got in the region of 24 miles LOS contact with my brother in the first week of lockdown from a couple of hilltops.
It wasnt particularly reliable as the fog locally interfered with the signal but after it cleared up it became pretty useful.
Thats using stock 0.5 watt output and the integral non removable duckie.

Surprised me how well they worked, but the baofeng and the dmr retevis did it better, dmr was crystal clear. ;)
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

and the BF888 dont have fixed aerial its removable, great little radio best aerial would be a yagi, more about the radio read my review.

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Midland G7 with the mod would give you best range.

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

The trouble is you are getting the range with skill in operation. You know that hills are important and you know thing like facing the distant location and holding the thing up carefully and giving the dinky antenna the best condition to do what it should. The trouble is people want good range from a radio surrounded by people and buildings that us, when they’re called, in their pocket! Waving it up in the air, and moving slightly listening to the noise changes, is operator skill, not the radio bring marvellous. If the radio stays silent in your pocket, you can’t even wave it around.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Ill be off out into the wilds tomorrow ( weather permitting) so Ill take the baofeng and the 69mhz radio with me,(see if any swedes can be heard) will also take the retevis dmr and try that at range from high up, last time I used the retevis on digital mode it was crystal clear at 30 miles, so Im anxious to try it further out with the stock antenna and see how it goes far away from anyone else.
Need to get a yagi though.....
Listen out for ZA-934 sometime between 10 and 12 tomorrow morning, all depends on weather.

OOps, forgot, ill shout out on 446.093 and 446.118 but will obviously have a scan for others.
lz1mak
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: lz1mak

Post by lz1mak »

It is not allowed but with homemade yagi set only for the PMR446 the results are much different than with the rubber antenna. Took me two days to set the antenna but it worth the time. Have to post pictures somewhere. With the yagi from my side and rubber antenna from the other side, without problems 30 miles
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

If anyone is still interested in "long range" PMR handsets, here's a 27km line of sight test with three Motorolas and a Retvis Rt24. The best is of course the Moto XT420 (expensive) but the cheapo Retvis is surprisingly good.