Is the foundation amateur radio license too hard ?

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Re: Is the foundation amateur radio license too hard ?

Post by Ant »

LeakyFeeder wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 00:40
Ant wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 14:33 Whilst looking through groups, I found this.....

https://www.facebook.com/droptheFL
Anyone know.who runs that page?
A virgin who lives in the back bedroom of his mums council flat.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Interesting comments on this topic, but I've heard and read it all before really. All I'll say is pieces of paper or qualifications don't make operators, it's the persons themselves and who they are, an a-hole will always be an a-hole regardless of what licence / qualifications they hold 8)
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Transwarp wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 21:12 Interesting comments on this topic, but I've heard and read it all before really. All I'll say is pieces of paper or qualifications don't make operators, it's the persons themselves and who they are, an a-hole will always be an a-hole regardless of what licence / qualifications they hold 8)
Never a truer word said..... I mean, we all remember Conor (amongst others). say no more.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
NicolaJayne
Regular
Regular

Post by NicolaJayne »

MorseMan wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 16:59 I'm not trying to belittle anyone.
I have heard may times foundation license holders openly boasting of the illegal power they are using & complaining they had to sit an exam to go on the air.
do you understand where power is measured in Amateur radio licencing ?

as it seems quite a lot of the sages , even those with RAEs don't and continue to advise foundational licence holders wrongly ...
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

MorseMan wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 12:31

The youngest foundation was passed by a 6 year old girl.

Great, As if listening to contests ain't bad enough we'll be subjected to the theme from postman pat :problem: Time for a new hobby, Hungarian carpet weaving for me i think
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Skanking333
Banned
Banned

Post by Skanking333 »

What a bigotted thread
MorseMan
Call Sign: 26TM2806

Post by MorseMan »

MorseMan wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 11:24
Mikel wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 07:59 The 'new' 3 part licensing regime is much harder than the old C&G RAE. I have completed old RAE papers and they were a breeze in comparison.

Remember there were no practical elements to the old RAE for a start, unlike the first 2 parts of the latest regime (pre Covid obviously)

You only have to look at the content of both the syllabuses. If you divided the old RAE up into 3 parts how easy would the first part be?

Well I can tell you that most people would be able to pass it while still swimming around in their old man's ball bag, it's just that some (not all) of the old farts, who sat the old RAE, brag about it and think they are superior to the rest of humanity and make you literally want to spew.

The new foundation syllabus is the most difficult one so far (ask any trainer), but I do not think it is too difficult and anyone who thinks that perhaps is looking at the wrong hobby, but it is not beyond the capability of most people, just have faith in yourself and you WILL get through it.

Don't fall for the, 'Foundation licenses are given away free in a Cornflake box' routine that they roll out all the time, they remind me of the obnoxious old drunk in the pub. You know the sort, always bragging about what they did when they were your age and how young people today have got it too easy, just like a Harry Enfield character ie not to be taken seriously!

It is a technical hobby and once you have passed all three parts, you can rest in the satisfaction that you have achieved something to be proud of and you will have achieved a lot more than the old wrinklies who passed the toddler exam called the RAE (with a crayon probably).

Don't let the bigoted old farts who hold a full license and who sat the old RAE bully you. They are best just IGNORED, THEY ARE NOT SUPERIOR TO YOU, they just like too tell you they are, every chance they get.

Remember most of them are getting on a bit and soon they will die, just like the dinosaurs did because they could not handle change and I for one will not mourn their passing.
I beg to differ that the new system is harder, But it is a different way to enter the hobby in 3 bites.
Bite 1 the foundation is a very basic step into the hobby
That gives more band access than the RAE ever did.
You can take it pretty much as many times as you want in a year not twice like the RAE was.

Bite 2 intermediate should give a better understanding.

This is a message from a club founsation to me, It is the begining of a learning curve

As I say " You can explain things to people but you can't understand it for them !"

There may not have compulsory construction for the RAE but the kits required for the 3 bite system are toddler kits not challenging in any way & are virtually guaranteed to work if you can follow basic instructions.