Ham mast UK legal height

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Ham mast UK legal height

Post by prettypolly »

What is the UK legal height for a ham radio antenna mast???
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Re: Ham mast UK legal height

Post by Tim »

Have a look at this. Google is a wonderful tool.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/2 ... io_antenna
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

thank you tim :thumbup: :thumbup:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
dt630
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26dt630

Post by dt630 »

No legal height.
Apply for planning permission for a 100ft tower.

DT630
Midget
“Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”
WWG1WGA
Cris du Coeur
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: G6FGO

Post by Cris du Coeur »

dt630 wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 14:04 No legal height.
Apply for planning permission for a 100ft tower.
But DON'T call it a "tower", call it a "mast". :mrgreen:
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

It might be an idea to mention (low) duty cycle of transmitter, exemption (I presume) from SAR/ICNIRP regulations based on low ERP etc, or you'll get the crazies who think you're going to give them cancer with your 2kW 7G microwave backhaul or something (OK, I wouldn't want that pointing right in my bedroom either FWIW). Having been on councils, I'm much more sympathetic to applications that don't hide info. Just my opinion..
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
dt630
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26dt630

Post by dt630 »

Masts are on boats it's a tower.
Midget
“Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”
WWG1WGA
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

Let's be honest, what we all really want is a huge erection (sorry, couldn't resist) :lol: :lol: :lol:
The perfect face for radio.
Flat_Battery
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CAB101

Post by Flat_Battery »

I was hoping to have a huge erection in my back garden at some point this year.🙈🙉🙊
Help where you can.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

There was an article in 'Practical Wireless' a while ago entitled, Planning permission for the radio amateur' that has some useful tips:

http://www.gb3sh.co.uk/files/PW%20Planning%20guide.pdf

The following information was taken from the .gov.uk planning portal:

Is a planning application required for your antennae?

Under the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 (as amended), you have a general permission to install an antennas up to a specific size on property without the need for planning permission. This general permission depends on your house type and area. Your local planning authority can give you more advice.

Houses and buildings up to 15 metres high
Unless your house (or the building in which you live) is in a designated area, you do not need to apply for planning permission to install an antenna on your property, as long as:

•there will be no more than two antennas on the property overall. (These may be on the front or back of the building, on the roof, attached to the chimney, or in the garden);

•if you are installing a single antenna, it is not more than 100 centimetres in any linear dimension (b) (not including any projecting feed element (c), reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);

•if you are installing two antennas, one is not more than 100 centimetres in any linear dimension, and the other is not more than 60 centimetres in any linear dimension (not including any projecting feed element, reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);

•the cubic capacity (d) of each individual antenna is not more than 35 litres;

•an antenna fitted onto a chimney stack is not more than 60 centimetres in any linear dimension; and

•an antenna mounted on the roof only sticks out above the roof when there is a chimney-stack. In this case, the antenna should not stick out more than 60 centimetres above the highest part of the roof, or above the highest part of the chimney stack, whichever is lower.

b. Linear dimension: This means taking the measurement in a straight line, starting from the edge of the antenna to the opposite edge of the antenna. The measurement should only include the antenna itself and not any attachment needed to fix it to the wall or roof, or connect it up to your equipment.

c. Projecting feed element: In a dish antenna, the incoming signals are received by the dish which then ‘reflects’ the signal into a central ‘feed horn’. This is usually positioned at a short distance (a few inches) away from the dish and held in place by projecting arm or arms.

d. cubic capacity: This means the volume (the amount of in 3 dimensions) occupied by an object using known method of measurement.

But remember most Local Authorities, make it up as they go along and so what is allowed and what isn't can depend on what colour underpants the planning officer is wearing on any particular day.

If no one complains (neighbours!) about your antenna to the Council then they are unlikely to know it is even there, especially if it is around the back of the house.
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
Flat_Battery
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CAB101

Post by Flat_Battery »

Interesting read Mikel.

FB
Help where you can.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Uk planning applications are mostly online so you can see how people successfully phrased their applications. Planners have got pretty savvy in the last 15 years so the old tricks of retractable towers only bring up when used don’t work. They know you wind them up and they never go back down and if you say they do you’re untrustworthy. Many now include photoshopped views of what it will look like. Mostly it depends on your neighbours. But people from distant places will often object and I’ve no idea why!
raptor_dog
Regular
Regular

Post by raptor_dog »

The only planning i believe in is... how high can i put my antenna before the first grouty b****** starts complaining :clap:
warhorse

Post by warhorse »

yes good to be on good terms with your neighbours if you have any, can be very territorial but they seem to think the sky is theres? so best to get the right permissions have seen masts in towns in full view of roads n houses all said above one had a plastic etc owl on tower stops birds etc landing on masts good idea lol
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

There's some odd stuff here. If you search planning applications for radio ham stuff you will find telescoping or lowerable masts often have permission and towers get rejected because the word is emotive. Mast is a perfectly acceptable and accurate descriptor. Self-supporting mast sounds better than three chord galvanised or aluminium tower.