T800 Buzz

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
alze
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: alze

T800 Buzz

Post by alze » 11 Aug 2019, 10:15

Hiya !

I have my Thunderbolt T800 hooked up directly to my leisure battery in my Mazda bongo and get a 'hum' from the rig when I turn it on.

It sounds electrical, when i turn the volume up, static comes thru fine. When I'm out I can seemingly send and receive ok, but I'm wondering is this effecting the overall performance of my setup ?

The feed wires are direct to the leisure battery, which is in turn earthed to the body. There is only a split-relay sensor attached, which only turns on when the bongo is moving/running, but I get the 'buzz' all the time.

SWR whilst not brilliant, is below 3, and between 1.5 and 2 usually when the antenna is attached. Ground is in place from the back of the rig to the body and of course from the 'base' side of the antenna (seperated via the plastic washer)).

I'm sure that I can continue to work and not damage the rig, but and advice very much welcome.
I put a video to show the buzz and connections.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiqCUcZNVEE

Kind Regards,
Al.ze

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: T800 Buzz

Post by The Collector » 13 Aug 2019, 18:55

Have you tried it conneted to a normal battery not wired up to anything car-wise? If no buzz, then it's something electrical on the car's wiring system somewhere. If there's still a buzz, you know it's the radio itself. You can sometimes pick up a buzz from a cheap mains transformer/power supply, but not from a battery unless it's being charged at the time.

Also, you don't need to earth the radio separately as long as the + and - wires are on the battery. That might maybe pick up interference???

I will watch the video and see if there's anything I can see, but I'm no expert ;)

Edit- I've watched the video and it's certainly a strange noise and shouldn't be there. As mentioned above, try it out of the van onto a normal 12v battery with nothing else in-line and see if you get anything then. I'm not into these modern radios, but I've never heard a sound like that coming out of a CB before.

alze
Regular
Regular

Post by alze » 14 Aug 2019, 20:06

Thank you very much for your time. Good news is that the vendor has kindly offered to look at the radio, so am looking forward to having it working correctly.

delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline » 15 Aug 2019, 07:06

If you're using the external speaker try removing it and see if the noise is still present on the internal speaker

alze
Regular
Regular

Post by alze » 15 Aug 2019, 19:55

delboyonline wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 07:06
If you're using the external speaker try removing it and see if the noise is still present on the internal speaker
Thanks Delboy :) I reply here as well, as I think you've been kind enough to post on my youtube vid as well, but to confirm, the buzz is (was) there also without the speaker, the speaker was just for amplification to get it on the video ok. Still, Thunderpole have been very kind and offered to take a look at it, hopefully it will all be resolved in time for my bongo-trip to Wales soon :)

delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline » 16 Aug 2019, 14:33

It's really strange having a buzz on a mobile set up as there's no mains involved but I do hope you get it sorted out.

alze
Regular
Regular

Post by alze » 16 Aug 2019, 19:05

delboyonline wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 14:33
It's really strange having a buzz on a mobile set up as there's no mains involved but I do hope you get it sorted out.
Indeed, one of my other friends saw the vid and goes 'do you have a mains inverter on that' because the hum was so like a mains hum.
There is an inverter in the bongo, but it wasnt hooked up at the time.
Getting great support from Thunderpole sorting it tho, it should be back working again soon !

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 16 Aug 2019, 19:08

You can get buzzing whilst mobile, but it's usually alternator or spark plugs/leads related, but not so easy to get interference or noise when the engine/ignition is off, so it is a mystery.
That's why I recommended wiring straight to an unconnected car battery to rule out anything other than a radio fault.

Fingers crossed the shop sorts it or at least finds out it's not the radio ;)

delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline » 17 Aug 2019, 08:27

I'm sure the guys at Thunderpole will sort you out, they are very helpful.

alze
Regular
Regular

Post by alze » 26 Aug 2019, 21:26

T800's back - glad to say the replacement is excellent - no buzz ! May be conincidental, but my bongo did have some work carried out on the glow-plug relays, its a long shot, but maybe that was effecting it as well ? Anyhow all good now ! Many thanks to Thunderpole for customer service above and beyond !

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector » 31 Aug 2019, 17:02

Good news regardless :)

The only thing I can think of is if you had your ignition on to get power to your radio, the glow-plugs may have had an effect, but you'd wired it straight to the battery so didn't need to. So, unless the ignition was switched on at the time (even on position 1/aux setting) and was causing interference this way, it must have been something in the radio itself.

Either way, job done - enjoy! ;)

108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 » 31 Aug 2019, 17:56

Maybe just a bad earth somewhere inside the radio itself,at least your working now.
You can talk worldwide on CB radio,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit,
Freebanders happen to know otherwise = test free.

27.555 USB