CB Nostalgia. What set ups did you have?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: CB Nostalgia. What set ups did you have?

Post by The Collector » 06 Oct 2019, 13:36

Avenger wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 22:43
First rig I had on the air was a spinnytronic clone of the amstrad 901 with a modulator mag mount stuck onto a triangular road sign in my attic with 3 aluminium poles from an old rotary clothes line attached 1 from each corner ( I kid you not). this was early 90's and worked really well with good swr.
I suppose it was a sign of the times ;)

dieselfitter
Regular
Regular

Post by dieselfitter » 10 Nov 2019, 18:38

midland 100M; the black/silver one with powermax mag mount in the loft, later a "super dee" dipole, Then a legal midland 2001 FM, a superstar 2000 and then an Avanti sigma 4 on a scaffold pole...………..39 years later the midland is still in its box, but other radios plus the Avanti are boxed and having a sleep for now.

36ian

Post by 36ian » 10 Nov 2019, 19:53

I had a Cobra 19 GTL in the late 70's, it cost me almost a weeks wage. Had it hooked up to a DV27 on a biscuit tin in the loft, usually had to wait for the TV to go off (yes it closed down back then) before any TX.
Eventually saved up for a Major M360 and a Avanti Astroplane - Happy Days :D

cb4ever104
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cb4ever104 » 10 Nov 2019, 20:54

2 channel hand held to start with in 80/81. Then legal 81 40 channel Midland , which I returned to Tandy and bought a Barracuda with as it had more buttons and switches :) Then an Audioline 341 , and from there on in it was Uniden all the way (more or less).
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.

Werthers

Post by Werthers » 19 Nov 2019, 18:55

I used to have an Antron 99 CB Antenna and my radio was a President Lincoln with a Tear Drop Anti Static power mic, this was when I lived in my old place which was a basement with a small garden, it got me out on the air although the neighbor hated it. I still have the antenna but not the radio, I sold that years ago which I regret.

Anyway I can't use the Antron where I live now as I have antenna restrictions but I've been working on an old crappy Moonraker gutter mount which will bolt onto another metal piece that will also form part of the ground plane. I've modified the gutter mount and drilled four holes into it so that I can bolt it onto a short pole and I've removed the crappy lossy coax and soldered on some RG213 coax to it. I'll snap a picture of what it looks like so far in a minute although its not finished yet.

I stripped the shield a bit longer as I plan to tin it and connect a ground to it. This will be bolted onto an aluminum metal piece which will then be connected to a short pole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.