President McKinley EU Incoming

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
MiXiN

Re: President McKinley EU Incoming

Post by MiXiN »

delboyonline wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 08:02
scanplorer wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 16:39 Hi all,
This is my first post in forum.
I bought McKinley, export mode, and the only issue I am dealing with is with microphone.
It's like mic gain is at minimum level, like I am talking in low volume or far away from mic.
Mic type is set to "EL", MIC GAIN is at maximum level. My transmition can be heard loud and clear without noise, but listeners complain that thay can hardly hear my voise at all modulations.

Is it a wrong setting that I missed?

There's nothing wrong with it as such, it's just that regulations on FM deviation are very tight these days and FM audio sounds quiet compared to AM or SSB. Also over the years people have become accustomed to hearing stations operating with power mics, often turned up way too high, so your little standard mic will sound quiet in comparison.

You have 2 choices..... Buy a power mic, this will lift your audio level or make a minor internal adjustment to your radio by adjusting one of the tiny pots on the main circuit board.

Just thought I'd bump this - not only for my future reference (poor memory), but for the benefit of others.

The SSB low power (ALC) and AM/FM low power preset's don't work in export mode, only stock mode (EU, RU, etc')

The most I've managed to turn my FM high power down to is 12W, but the low power setting won't go below 6W.

I've restricted my SSB high power down to 12W PEP from 20W, and low power won't shift from 2W PEP.

I find I've really got to shout into the stock electret microphone just to talk the rig up to a few watts on SSB, so I'm hoping that a power microphone will solve the problem.

I quite like this rig, but the inability to alter low power on FM/SSB at the rigs minimum RF power setting is disappointing for me.
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

MrWeetabix wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 09:34 HOLY NEW DELIVERIES BATMAN!!!

0E9E19CD-CBFA-4FB3-8CF1-C3ACFF49C041.jpeg

Excellent service from Jabber Products.

The Jabba Man Can.... YESCANDO!

Cant wait to have a play with this radio. Typical I have to actually go into the office today, as I am normally home based these days!

First impressions, very compact radio for what it does. Also leaves the question of where do I put my President sticker? 😂

D9C6727D-CCCF-4EF3-8F8C-DB1CC1EFE0F7.jpeg
How are you finding your McKinley
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
GusWroclaw
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 161TM313

Post by GusWroclaw »

Oggy wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 16:44 Well I hope you enjoyed the three review videos I did, it works well out the box and I like it.
Some have complained about the looks, but to me it looks OK.

Anyway it is not far away now.

Part 1

On Air

Final Thoughts

Dave M0OGY.
Any chance we can see these videos please? They are marked private on youtube.
161-TM-313 - Midland Alan 42