What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2020)

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Cousinjack

Re: What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2018)

Post by Cousinjack »

The Collector wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 13:42 I did have a mint, unused and boxed one years ago, but sold it on as it's not a 27/81 radio. Some were converted but mine wasn't. Did the same with a mint, boxed mid-block Alpha 4000 (Rotel 240 lookalike) that I sold to Dave - M0OGY on here years back too, about the same time. I don't bother with anything other than unusual or rarer 27/81 stuff nowadays as a rule :)
So, what is the ultimate one ?? The one to end it all ??
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Not sure. There are a few that were advertised or reviewed in magazines that possibly didnt make it to production - JWR M3, Binatone Powerbase 5, Emu Trinity (my avatar), JWR Diplomat 40, Domico Convoy 2, Domico Convoy Homebase, DNT Meteor 5022 Homebase, Major 2000 Homebase (have seen Major 5000 but still want one), Ham International Mariner UK, Halcyon Condor/Cheetah, Kaiser 40 (mobile), Tenvox Voxson to name a few they've never crossed my path ;)
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Just won the bidding for a little untested Jesan 5005, the white-ish coloured one that has a couple of marine RX channels too. It's grubby-looking and covered in sticky foam stuff but it was cheap and should clean up nicely. I was a bit bored so I just hope it works.
Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

The Collector wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 21:22 Just won the bidding for a little untested Jesan 5005, the white-ish coloured one that has a couple of marine RX channels too. It's grubby-looking and covered in sticky foam stuff but it was cheap and should clean up nicely. I was a bit bored so I just hope it works.
To use your terminology ..... it looks a bit manky ! 😂 Although I guess it will clean up 😳

My eBay buy of the weekend was a job lot of cb radios ... only one picture on the listing but I did spot a couple of midland port-a-pak's hiding amongst it all with their speaker mics. I have been after one of these for a while to use instead of a handheld.

Providing the bulk of the radios actually work, I have mostly already sold a couple on ... the rest will be going back on eBay after a bit of tuning and cleaning..

Secretly I'm hoping that one or two are complete duds so I can get stuck into some real fault finding. 😉
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I can soon send you a few radios that need sorting if you're that desperate. My Megatracker CB1100 needs the RX sorting for starters lol ;)

Sounds like a good buy if you can make a little profit on them and it keeps you busy for a while.
Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

Bought an old Racal 9904 frequency counter off eBay last week..
Pretty sure I got it cheap because it had a huge sticker on the back stating it requires 115v.. (as opposed to 240) ....

Only it turns out, after a bit of testing etc... that it's actually fully set up for 240v after all !!

Seeet, what a bargain !

😁😁
Captain Fantastic
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 15TM911

Post by Captain Fantastic »

President Grant II.
I was looking at the McKinley but it went out of stock at the best price and most convenient delivery. I toyed with the Jackson II idea, but the Grant came up instead.
15TM911 - Moonfish 79
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Captain Fantastic wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 08:11 President Grant II.
I was looking at the McKinley but it went out of stock at the best price and most convenient delivery. I toyed with the Jackson II idea, but the Grant came up instead.
The G2 Premium is a very capable radio indeed.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

CRT 7900 -- my first new CB radio for donkeys years.

When it turns up :(
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Tigersaw wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 15:58 CRT 7900 -- my first new CB radio for donkeys years.

When it turns up :(
Cracking radios, one of the best of the Anyclones IMO. Great display
Enjoy :thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Cousinjack -

Remember the manky, untested Jesan? A bit of elbow grease, a wipe of acetone, some wet-wipes and a few dots of some old paint to cover any missing paint later...

Some after and before shots. Excuse the pixellation as I've shrunk them right down, front is great apart from yellowed as usual and I'm not going to bleach it:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Just got hold of a President Grant 2 Premium.. Really like the look and feel of it... Sounds pretty good too.. Early days but liking it so far... ;)
Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

The Collector wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 16:14 Cousinjack -

Remember the manky, untested Jesan? A bit of elbow grease, a wipe of acetone, some wet-wipes and a few dots of some old paint to cover any missing paint later.....
Wow, that’s tidied up nicely ...😲
Looking worthy of being in your collection now !!
It’ll go nicely alongside that white cobra... or is it not quite in that league ?
Does it work ok ?

My job lot of 9 radios .. every single darn one works ...
🙈
Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

Although the two port-a-paks have seen better days ! 🤦‍♂️

At least they came with the original speaker mics ...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It works great mate and the mic' cleaned up nicely too, albeit sun-tinted as usual. Just got to extend the power cable and add the (included on some manky wiring) fuse holder. I'll put it alongside my Quasar CB/Marine RX radio when I get chance to move things around. I'm still on the lookout for a lovely boxed one though ;)

Portapak mic's can be worth a few quid on their own if the radios themselves are shot. Sell them on separately if you're not keeping them ;)