What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2020)

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Cousinjack

Re: What CB/11m Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2018)

Post by Cousinjack »

Bought a midland 2001 and 4001 as a job lot on eBay.. when they finally arrived, hooked them up to the power... 2001 appeared to be working perfect, power going out, receive apparently coming in ok..... :)

4001 .. at first, nothing at all ..... played about a bit with power switch...... finally woke up... but couldn't seem to get any tx power. No light on dummy load, no rf power showing on meter .... {bnghd}

Today hooked them to the 2955...
2001 tx is all over the shop, something dire going on there..

4001 seems to perform perfectly

Think I have a lot to learn
:lol: :lol:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If I recall, I had a Midland that wouldn't TX but someone suggested it could be a dodgy CB/PA switch. A bit of cleaner squirted into it and a minute of flicking it up and down and Voila! Sorted.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

So my BNIB Mckinley arrived with super fast delivery ...

Excited to get it open and play with it...

Opened up and the radio had clearly been used before..!

Not just to expand it but there were clear sticky points underneath where feet were obviously attached at some point and removed by why looks like a screwdriver as there were clear marks and residue.. Scratches to the side and marks on the display...

Pi**ed off to be honest .. Sent a message and got no reply .. Actioned a return through eBay and sent it off the next morning, later after already posting I got a message to say that this was unusual as all radios come straight from President.. And if I hadn’t already sent it he would have given me a chunk off... Really not the point ...How it wasn’t noticed I don’t know... Or was it..?

Not the first time I’ve had this sort of experience buying so called brand new.. It’s put me off for now ..

I’ll maybe try someone else in the future... So nothing new for me ..

But did just get back my Adams and Nato 2000 from Nick..
You can rely on the oldies.. ;)
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Something similar happened to me a couple of months back. Not a radio but a Heil parametric equaliser from a well known radio supplier in Portsmouth. Part of the item in question was definitely used, yet sold as new. Credit to the supplier, they were very apologetic and I was given a generous discount, as I was willing to keep it. It's possible, yours was a return that got mixed up with new stock, especially if skeleton staff were in doing mail order. Who knows? I think in your case, sending it back was the correct course of action.
Still a bummer though.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

JibberJabber wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 14:08
But did just get back my Adams and Nato 2000 from Nick..
You can rely on the oldies.. ;)
That's charming that is. He fixes your radio for you and you call him an old fogey ;)
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Just bought this new, old stock job-lot for £14 B.I.N. including postage - 14x packaged PL plugs, a dozen sew-on CB patches, 8x "You've just eyeballed..." badges, 11x "I'm a member of....club" badges, a 3/8th hole-through aerial mount base, what looks like an alternator noise suppressor and what looks suspiciously like the resistor mod packet for a K40 microphone...which is the only reason I bought it all lol :crazy:
I'll keep the resistor pack (if it is that) for my boxed K40 mic', a few PL plugs and probably resell the rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Haha.. That’s what happens when you don’t read through your posts.. :oops: ... Sorry Nick .. I did mean the radios ..Honestly.. :lol:
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Auldgeek wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 07:24 Something similar happened to me a couple of months back. Not a radio but a Heil parametric equaliser from a well known radio supplier in Portsmouth. Part of the item in question was definitely used, yet sold as new. Credit to the supplier, they were very apologetic and I was given a generous discount, as I was willing to keep it. It's possible, yours was a return that got mixed up with new stock, especially if skeleton staff were in doing mail order. Who knows? I think in your case, sending it back was the correct course of action.
Still a bummer though.
It’s happened once before with a Yeticom Optima ... But as everyone now knows those radios can be hit and miss... Quality control was totally absent ... I wish I had kept my original MK1 as that was better than anything else I have had...

As for the McKinley... Total disappointment.. But will still look out for one.. The Lincoln 2 plus I have is not that great for weaker stations .. At the moment I don’t think the McKinley’s will drop in price for a while .. With people seemingly willing to spend shed loads on radios at the moment ..;-)...
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Well looks like I am back in the game....

Bought a new iMax 2000, new Power Supply and a new Triband Vertical.... this damn hobby has sucked me back in again :(
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

The Collector wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 15:31 Just bought this new, old stock job-lot for £14 B.I.N. including postage - 14x packaged PL plugs, a dozen sew-on CB patches, 8x "You've just eyeballed..." badges, 11x "I'm a member of....club" badges, a 3/8th hole-through aerial mount base, what looks like an alternator noise suppressor and what looks suspiciously like the resistor mod packet for a K40 microphone...which is the only reason I bought it all lol :crazy:
I'll keep the resistor pack (if it is that) for my boxed K40 mic', a few PL plugs and probably resell the rest.

Well it WAS an unopened original K40 mic' resistor packet in amongst the stuff I bought so that's me happy. It was tiny in the picture and I could only zoom in a tiny bit so it was bit risky with my eyesight plus having never seen one before :) If it had been an auction, I'd have had time to ask, but with a B.I.N. you have to act fast. The other stuff will get put back on ebay shortly.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Connex 3600 arrived yesterday from Italy. I haven't seen very many of these and it's in very good condition and as you would expect from Italy, it hears OLA OLA COCA-COLA very well ;)

Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

MrWeetabix wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 23:35 a new Triband Vertical....
Would that be Mid, Freeband and UK ?
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Low mid hi

#oldskool
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

The Collector wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 15:31 Just bought this new, old stock job-lot for £14 B.I.N. including postage.
Should have saved your cash for this bad boy.... it's gold too !! :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDLAND-77-2 ... SwPUBfBwMh
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Cousinjack wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 23:06
The Collector wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 15:31 Just bought this new, old stock job-lot for £14 B.I.N. including postage.
Should have saved your cash for this bad boy.... it's gold too !! :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDLAND-77-2 ... SwPUBfBwMh
I did have a mint, unused and boxed one years ago, but sold it on as it's not a 27/81 radio. Some were converted but mine wasn't. Did the same with a mint, boxed mid-block Alpha 4000 (Rotel 240 lookalike) that I sold to Dave - M0OGY on here years back too, about the same time. I don't bother with anything other than unusual or rarer 27/81 stuff nowadays as a rule :)