Proposed changes to Foundation syllabus

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

Re: Proposed changes to Foundation syllabus

Post by Checkpointcharlie »

Transwarp wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 13:43
Checkpointcharlie wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 21:50
Transwarp wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 20:19

Ok, I've got my finger out for you! :)
Well done how about pulling your finger out and getting a real license then or are you going to continue whining on about as the why not to progress, if theirs one thing I have learned in this hobby it's full of toe dippers that should have had their baby ticket revoked years ago.
:roll: Same old lines, I ain't biting. Got my finger out again though if it pleases you? :lol:
Get a real ticket when you return to the hobby please.
Broad sword calling Danny boy......
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Checkpointcharlie wrote: Get a real ticket when you return to the hobby please.
Ok you've had fun, don't spoil it by going overboard throwing insults towards folk. :problem:
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

Checkpointcharlie wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 00:49 Another long term FL......................................
Nope...
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Reading about this artificial hamamateur pecking order is a bit boring. It's a hobby not a profession. I wouldn't even classify it as a life style, yet so much bickering. If it's a dying hobby let it die. If teenagers are not interested, they're not interested.

In the mean time, I have a better proposal: why not have foundation at 10 watts, the intermediate at 100 watts, and 1000 watts for full licensees. A much better progression route for those who wish to take it.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

I agree with Dave no amount of tinkering around with the licensing structure will attract young people in large numbers, they use much more reliable and easier methods of communication. I'm just waiting for my Inrico TM7 to arrive real radio? no but these new ways of having a chat are easy reliable and pretty good fun.
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

RadioPixie wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:53 Reading about this artificial hamamateur pecking order is a bit boring. It's a hobby not a profession. I wouldn't even classify it as a life style, yet so much bickering. If it's a dying hobby let it die. If teenagers are not interested, they're not interested.

In the mean time, I have a better proposal: why not have foundation at 10 watts, the intermediate at 100 watts, and 1000 watts for full licensees. A much better progression route for those who wish to take it.
I mostly agree, but it's not about bickering, it's about respect and attitudes which is seemingly lacking on all sides. Sign of the times though in society as a whole really.

It is indeed just a hobby, but to some I think it's a way of life who live and breath it. Being passionate about something is fine, being possessed by though is different.

I think power increases on own are not the way to entice progression, indeed I don't think there should be any enticing or encouraging. A set of licence groups are set and advised for all to take notice of, pick a licence class, go for it, get it, stick with or go for the next one, entirely down to the individual what to do or not to do end of. Those stuck up their own rear ends looking down on lower licence class holders should have theirs revoked if reported and are proved to have been less then civil with other hobby users of any licence class. Full or 'advanced' holders should always be setting the example of respect and courtesy.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Transwarp wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 11:25
RadioPixie wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 18:53 Reading about this artificial hamamateur pecking order is a bit boring. It's a hobby not a profession. I wouldn't even classify it as a life style, yet so much bickering. If it's a dying hobby let it die. If teenagers are not interested, they're not interested.

I mostly agree, but it's not about bickering, it's about respect and attitudes which is seemingly lacking on all sides. Sign of the times though in society as a whole really.

It is indeed just a hobby, but to some I think it's a way of life who live and breath it. Being passionate about something is fine, being possessed by though is different.

I think power increases on own are not the way to entice progression, indeed I don't think there should be any enticing or encouraging. A set of licence groups are set and advised for all to take notice of, pick a licence class, go for it, get it, stick with or go for the next one, entirely down to the individual what to do or not to do end of. Those stuck up their own rear ends looking down on lower licence class holders should have theirs revoked if reported and are proved to have been less then civil with other hobby users of any licence class. Full or 'advanced' holders should always be setting the example of respect and courtesy.
Hi, I havent got much time for radio snobs and it's outrageous when a full licence holder belittles a foundation level op. Shame on those amateurs that act in that way. It's a form of abuse.

Let me quantify my previous post :-) To me personally a lifestyle is being a Yogi or martial artist or macrobiotics, something more than just the material realm, but involves personal and even spiritual development.

As for power levels, that was a quick reflection on my part. I can't see any reason why an intermediate operator shouldn't use an 100 watt transmitter, especially considering the amount of off-the-shelf equipment that is available. The reasoning behind full licence holders being able to use 1000 watts is that a lot of other countries are allowed to use this operating power. Most commercial amplifiers run at this power level. Just being practical and reciprocal with those that have a harmonised CEPT licence ;)
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

GaryWilson wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 09:42 I agree with Dave no amount of tinkering around with the licensing structure will attract young people in large numbers, they use much more reliable and easier methods of communication. I'm just waiting for my Inrico TM7 to arrive real radio? no but these new ways of having a chat are easy reliable and pretty good fun.
Inrico Tm7 LOL you are not a amateur! you could be a m3 or a m6 and that would explain things :D
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

Checkpointcharlie wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 19:15
GaryWilson wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 09:42 I agree with Dave no amount of tinkering around with the licensing structure will attract young people in large numbers, they use much more reliable and easier methods of communication. I'm just waiting for my Inrico TM7 to arrive real radio? no but these new ways of having a chat are easy reliable and pretty good fun.
Inrico Tm7 LOL you are not a amateur! you could be a m3 or a m6 and that would explain things :D
What's the issue with being an M3 or an M6 call sign?
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Why all the fanning about with series and parallel circuits when FL holders can't make their own equipment anyway? aRSe GB haven't got a clue, and its a chuffing disgrade that a limited company is so influential in such matters. They wouldn't let the RAC influence or manage the driving test, and these Werthers suckers should be allowed to do so for our hobby. I know, I know, preaching to the choir.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

I'd much rather have a ragchew with a channel 19 muppet, than a QSO with a G call with that kind of attitude. Your head's so far up your own ar*e anyway I'd probably not be able to make out what you were saying :yawn: :wave:
Embrace your inner muppet !
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Agreed. It's nodders with that attitude that are doing the most to kill the hobby. I've given up trying to persuade new recruits not to walk when faced with the Werthers brigade. Theyre going to really enjoy themselves in another decaee or so when the only people left to talk to are other Werthers suckers.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

sickboy wrote: 01 May 2018, 20:29
I'd much rather have a ragchew with a channel 19 muppet, than a QSO with a G call with that kind of attitude. Your head's so far up your own ar*e anyway I'd probably not be able to make out what you were saying :yawn: :wave:
Hey get a real licence muppet.
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

Farty wrote: 01 May 2018, 21:50 Agreed. It's nodders with that attitude that are doing the most to kill the hobby. I've given up trying to persuade new recruits not to walk when faced with the Werthers brigade. Theyre going to really enjoy themselves in another decaee or so when the only people left to talk to are other Werthers suckers.
No werthers here maybe spangles.................no ones killing the hobby only nodders like you!
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Checkpointcharlie wrote: 24 May 2018, 17:09
sickboy wrote: 01 May 2018, 20:29

Hey get a real licence muppet.
Meanwhile, at checkpointcharlie's house...

Embrace your inner muppet !