Low powered FM transmitter

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Low powered FM transmitter

Post by StormShadow »

Hi there is there a low powered FM transmitter 87-108 MHz that I can get that will be powerful enough to go about 100 meters in radius? My purpose for wanting one of these is so that I can stream music around the house onto an analog radio receiver. I have already tried those in car MP3 FM transmitters and they are rubbish, I know some can be modified to extend the range but that doesn't always work and is really fiddly to do. I suppose if I could add a better antenna to one it might do something, I just need something with a tiny bit more power to work with but to much obviously, I've seen some on the auction site that will do 500mw but thats far to much power to be using for the purpose I want it for, maybe 10mw or something like that would be more ideal and something that can be powered from a USB port as well so I don't have to keep changing batteries all the time.

Has anybody got any ideas

Many thanks.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Low powered FM transmitter

Post by Admiral »

This concept has been around since the last King died, all you ever saw in Exchange and Mart (remember that?) was adverts for bugging transmitters either in kit form for 11s 6d or built for £1 3s.

A Google search will bring up a zillion pages with DIY designs and complete units for a few quid, and Youtube has tons of stuff of them in action so you can gauge your mW to range calculation.

Nothing personal, but this stuff is 20th Century methodology, we use wifi and bluetooth these days, 100m is very doable with bluetooth, and it's stereo and no interference or de-emphasis.

EDIT: Typos
Last edited by Admiral on 15 Sep 2015, 06:39, edited 2 times in total.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Bluetooth is also not illegal....
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

The Chinese have plenty of them on a well known auction site if you really want one . . .
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

If you are not bothered about stereo, there are a plethera of low powered 88 - 108 Mhz "bug" designs kicking around!
Really easy to build from junk component bits piles, most dabblers have around them!
Most will easily do 100 metres with a short bit of wire for an antenna!
Just omit the usual electret mic input circuitry, pad it down a bit with a resistive network and fit a phono socket or whatever!
Despite most being very crudely tuned, they are remarkably stable for what they are on a good regulated supply!
It is technicaly illegal of course, the MP3/Ipod player types sold legaly are extremely low powered, hence their virtualy next to the "in car radio" or home FM radio receiver range!
Usualy across the room, or if lucky the next room, or bedroom directly above is about their limit, from ones I have tried.
radtech
Call Sign: Rich

Post by radtech »

You would be better off getting some wireless headphones if you want to listen to music. I use some fantastic Sennheiser HDR140 units which are analogue 860MHz and have about 150m range.

The batteries last ages and I can also tune my Uniden scanner into the 862 channel and listen in, good when streaming radio audio.
Rich
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

If you are streaming from a PC, you can encode a stereo multiplex using a 24bit sound card and can even add RDS should you see fit.

The higher powered chinese transmitters on eBay are mostly pretty horrible but there are some lovely kits available from dutchrfshop.nl for not a lot of money. ;)

Be careful! :)
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

Anyone know what kind of distance can be achieved with Bluetooth? They are 2.4 GHz. I don't think that there are any antenna restrictions on that band, you can buy quite large parabolic antennas if you can connect them up. My Motorola 2.4GHz handsets have :ugeek: connectors for larger antennas.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

In the good old days, bluetooth stuff had either a 10 or a 100 in it's name or on the box, that was your meters, so 100m kit is out there very cheap.

I would suggest that sticking an antenna on a bluetooth device kind of negates its original purpose, and don't forget that bluetooth data can be intercepted.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHOLE-HOUSE-F ... 4640dd05d3

If you have money to burn, you're scared of a soldering iron and can't be bothered to do some googling that is :-p
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

That's only half of it, you need a Raspberry Pi or Arduino to control it.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Admiral wrote:
That's only half of it, you need a Raspberry Pi or Arduino to control it.
where's the fun if it's straight forward anyways :-P

Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Ye gods, you would certainly get 100m with that monster.

I notice the final 10kw tube is missing, that's probably worth five grand and the rest is scrap metal.