Advice on Moonraker 270 SWR meter for PMR446.

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Cymro
Regular
Regular

Advice on Moonraker 270 SWR meter for PMR446.

Post by Cymro »

Hi all,

Could someone please give me constructive advice on the Moonraker 270 SWR meter for PMR446, or something similar for roughly the same price? I know it's low quality, but it will only be used occasionally. I'll be using it with a Baofeng 888s.

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moonraker-270 ... 25aae1be39
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Advice on Moonraker 270 SWR meter for PMR446.

Post by Windy_Miller »

As the frequency range of the SWR meter you mention covers 120 - 500 MHZ, then that will include 446 MHz.

Of course, there is no need for an SWR meter on the 446 band, what with antennae not being removable and being integral to the transceiver. You can trust the manufacturer to have tuned the antenna to the correct length before it was irreversibly fitted to the transceiver!
Cymro
Regular
Regular

Post by Cymro »

I was under the impression that Ofcom now allowed radios with removable aerials as long as the ERP didn't exceed 0.5W.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Cymro wrote:I was under the impression that Ofcom now allowed radios with removable aerials as long as the ERP didn't exceed 0.5W.
Would that be enough power to actually give you an accurate reading on an SWR meter ? Far as that meter goes i wouldn't entertain it, Specially at that price.
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Lumiya

Post by Lumiya »

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2015/j ... doUk9zTVcs

Regarding fixed only antennas repealing the earlier ruling
CB since '85
AR since '91
Ex-RAF

If you get just a YES or NO answer it will mean either you should already know the answer or you have proved yourself incapable of understanding the answer. Also if you think I need to explain what I type then perhaps you should realise your own limitations
Cymro
Regular
Regular

Post by Cymro »

Right, I can see where this is leading. You are all, I presume, radio Hams and must abide by the regulations to the letter. I, on the other hand, am just a humble, non-Ham, but still, like yourselves, have a deep passion for 2-way radios. Consequently, as I do not have unlimited finances, joining you is not an option. Many people "bend the rules" in all sorts of circumstances everyday, we all do it, there are no exceptions. This is just one of those circumstances.

Anyway, I do appreciate you all for reminding me, and others, on the finer points of legal radio operation.
curny
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by curny »

Hi Cymro,
I think you'll be fine with the moonraker meter just for occasional use. It's not the best quality but it'll keep you from damaging anything

...and as a fellow 446 experimenter, I've found you soon learn to develop a thick skin on this forum regarding all the subtle and not so subtle reminders as to the legalities of it all from the self appointed 'band police'

I just find it all amusing that there's no similar comments being made to all those using 11m/triple five/100 watt burners etc. over on the other threads!

Curny
(Regularly using more than 500mw into rather more than a rubber duck on 446)
Curny

163-TM-336
163-CT-336
'UK Three Thirty Six' on midband AM
Cymro
Regular
Regular

Post by Cymro »

Hi Curny,

Yes, it's only for occasional use, I don't want to damage my expensive Baofeng 888s! :D

The "band police" have done their duty by explaining the situation, so they can sleep soundly tonight.

If what you say is true, and I have to reason to disbelieve you, it does seem rather strange that CB use doesn't receive similar attention from "they who must not be named". :D

Thanks again for all the advice. Diolch yn fawr iawn!
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Provided its not wildly out, is the SWR terribly important for half a Watt?
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Cymro
Regular
Regular

Post by Cymro »

Hi Farty,

As the Baofeng is capable of producing up to 5w output, I want to be on the safe side and do it properly, as I did many years ago on CB.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

The power output from the BF-888S has been measured by quite a few people and it never ever reaches anything close to 5W. The battery is only 3.6V (I think) which is partly to blame for the low output. They actually put out around 2 to 3W. Probably not enough to damage the radio with a bad SWR unless it's truly awful.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Cymro
Regular
Regular

Post by Cymro »

Fair enough, I don't doubt what you say, but I believe it's prudent to use an SWR meter just to be on the safe side, and besides it will also come in handy for other radios with a slightly higher power output.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I don't understand why you wish to introduce a feed line and meter into the circuit when they won't normally be part of the set-up, what are you going to do if it has a high SWR?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Cymro wrote:Hi Farty,

As the Baofeng is capable of producing up to 5w output, I want to be on the safe side and do it properly, as I did many years ago on CB.
Make that a little over 2 Watts down hill with a following wind. Baofengs power claims were written by Wilbur Smith.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

I'm still puzzling over how this meter becomes accurate when only used occasionally......... :?