Baofeng Programming

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
G1LSK
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1LSK

Baofeng Programming

Post by G1LSK »

Hi there,
Does anyone have experience of programming simplex frequencies into a Baofeng UV-5R without any CTCSS or DCS?
I have an FDC-450A handheld which is quite old now and that has channels 1-8 programmed in with no tones....I recently programmed a Baofeng BF888S in on the same channels without and problems and those 2 radios talk to each other perfectly. However, my UV-5R is proving to be a bit of a pain in the neck. I've tried both VIP and CHIRP to program the radio and while I believe the channels are programmed in with no tones....it will transmit to the other 2 radios perfectly fine but will only receive them if I press the MONITOR button to defeat the squelch.

What am I doing wrong here? Does anyone have experience and could look at either a VIP or CHIRP programming file and tell me where I've gone wrong?
If so then let me know an email address and I'll send the file(s) for a new set of eyes to look at.

Thanks in advance

Ian (G1LSK) - I should know better!!!
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Re: Baofeng Programming

Post by FakeJake »

Have sent you a PM. I'll take a look at your CHIRP file to see if i can spot anything
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Not an answer to your question, but I banged in the 8 channels manually into mine, took about 5 minutes.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

You're really lucky, my UV-5RV just won't programme like that.
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

Hi Ian,

Can't fault anything in the CHIRP file you sent to me.
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
rogerbeep
Call Sign: 20TM896

Post by rogerbeep »

Some simple check points:
- Menu item "tone mode" in Chirp shall be set to value: (none) <--this is relevant for the UV-5 Chirp file
- Menu item "mode" in Chirp shall be set to "NFM" <-- Check the Chirp files for both the UV-5 and 888's
- Squelch value (Menu 0) at the UV-5 unit should be 1, not more.

Depending on the version of Chirp you use, there are advanced squelch settings which may not work at all radios.
http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Squelch.php
TRX:
Icom 7300 / 706 mk II / 735 - Alinco DR-135DX - President Grant mk II / Jackson mk I - CRT SS9900 / One - Anytone AT300M
Icom ID 51E - QYT KT-8900 - Icom F4SR / 28H - Baofeng UV-5R / 888S

Uniden UBC 780 XLT - Icom R5 / PCR-100 - RTL2832U/R820T + Ham It Up v1.2 - NESDR SMArt
SgtBilko302
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 108ct302

Post by SgtBilko302 »

G1LSK
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G1LSK

Post by G1LSK »

Well, I gave up trying a long time ago and kicked the radio into a box of junk until a few weeks ago when a fellow radio amateur friend of mine got back on the air with one and pestered me to dig mine back out. Still the same problem so they persuaded me to get another radio. I got one and all this time my first UV-5R was faulty!! There's some squelch related fault on it so it's back in the box of junk and I've got one now that works perfectly. If nothing else I've got a UV-5R FM Radio as that side works perfectly so I can walk around with a walkie talkie listening to Radio 2 !!!! Thanks for everyones help.