Alinco DR-135UK

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Alinco DR-135UK

Post by andymuza »

Wasn't sure whether to put this in here or the Amateur section but decided on here.

Received the Alinco DR-135UK today. First contact was into Belarus with a very good 5-9 report while I received the station I worked at 5-9+20.

First impressions are very good however the mic feels a bit lightweight and cheap but, works extremely well and sounds fantastic.
The RX audio is lacking somewhat and sounds very scratchy even when my Edirol monitor speakers are attached. I am not sure if this is a problem or whether it is just my ears not used to the audio after being used to listening to the awesome audio of a Kenwood TS-870 but even then the RX audio isn't a patch on my old Magnum 257. My friend who purchased one at the same time as me is bringing his round tomorrow so I will do a side by side comparison of the RX audio just in case mine has a fault with the audio.

The radio is extremely small and compact for the amount of features it has. Very simple to use and even the menu features are simple to get to grips with.
It is very simple to put into export mode and back again. I do not have the programming cable or software yet so cannot say how simple or hard it is to program.

Couple of features I wish it had, I wish you could change the display colour and I wish it had an auto squelch but both of this won't be missed too much.

Will write further opinions of the radio as I use it more.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Alinco DR-135UK

Post by Mudslinger »

The audio in these does sound a little bit thin, especially when not tuned in correctly due to the narrow SSB filter, but it shouldn't sound "Scratchy"

The Mic is indeed very cheap feeling, one of the only let downs on the radio.

I am told the President Mics work on this radio though.

It does have an auto squelch...

Hold down the Func + DW buttons as you turn it on.

Then rotate the channel change to enable it.

Then you can switch the ASQ on with the centre mic button. AQ will illuminate in the display. It only works on AM and FM though, not on SSB.

The display does change colour, press the Col button to cycle through the colours. The channel number LED won't change though.
Last edited by Mudslinger on 13 Oct 2014, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

andymuza wrote:Wasn't sure whether to put this in here or the Amateur section but decided on here.
Good choice, I've not seen any Yaesus, Icoms or Kenwoods with an echo built in.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
26FB096
Call Sign: 26FB096

Post by 26FB096 »

I didn't like the feel of the mic so added some metal weights inside the mic casing.....That's just me being a bit weird
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Cheers mudslinger, my eyesight is obviously going lol.

Good idea about the weights in the Mic.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I don't think the Auto squelch is officially a feature, as it isn't mentioned in the book.

On the CRE version it is though.

But at least it is there. As far as auto squelches go it isn't too bad. :)
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Admiral wrote:
andymuza wrote:Wasn't sure whether to put this in here or the Amateur section but decided on here.
Good choice, I've not seen any Yaesus, Icoms or Kenwoods with an echo built in.
Ha ha, good point.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Hope it works out well for you Andymuza.

The SSB RX audio won't be as good as the Kenwood TS-870 or Magnum 257. That's just the way they seemed to be designed.

As Simon says, you can add a President wired mic to it, but if its a President (or another make) with up/dn buttons, there would have to be component changes in the mic for the up/dn to work properly.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

I doubt I will change the Mic as the TX audio is nice with the standard Mic.

I rarely use up down buttons on any of my radio's so I wouldn't miss them if I changed mics.

Wonder how my Turner expander 500 would sound ;-)

My mate is coming round tomorrow with his radio so will know if the RX audio is just how the radio sounds or if mine is faulty. I have a feeling mine is faulty as no one has mentioned scratchy rx audio before.

It's bizarre to explain but it's as if everyone has a small amount of stray rf in their transmission or as if the speaker was blown a little. As I say, I know it's not the speaker as it sounded the same on my monitor speakers.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Does it sound scratchy on all modes?

Mine sounds super clear, especially on FM and AM. It is just the SSB audio which lets it down slightly. But SSB is meant to cover distances efficiently, it isn't meant to sound BBC quality...

You may have a faulty audio IC or other component in the audio output circuit.

I am told my audio sounds much better on my Bravo plus desk mic than it does on the standard mic, so there should be some room for improvement and experimentation.

Just be careful not to short Pin 6 to anything as it carries 13.8v
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

TBH Simon, don't know how the rx sounds on AM/FM, Will give it a check when I get in. If it is ok on AM and FM then I will live it as a quirk of the RX. I will record a video and post it on YouTube tomorrow.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

On those modes it should just sound normal, unless the radio has a fault in it's audio output circuit.

Just a thought, you are on the same frequency as the stations you are listening to arn't you?

Sorry if that sounds like I am asking if you know how to suck eggs.

If you can make the received stations clearer by using the clarifier even though your display shows you were on the correct frequency to start with the radio may have alignment issues.

Some AT-5555 and clones came out of the factory with the frequency display not showing the correct frequency. For example the display was showing 27.55500 but the radio was actually on 27.55400 or something along those lines.

If that is the case the radio can probably be aligned through it's hidden menu (Don't ask me how as I am not sure) but you would be better off sending it back and getting another.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Yeah deffo on the right frequency. Tried the clarifier to see if it improved things but no improvement. Checked the rd station on my 870 and magnum and all radio's were on the same frequency but the dr135 audio was poor.

Will try the other modes when I get in and see how they sound.

Won't play with any hidden menu's in a rig that is new unless the guys at Nevada tell me too. Not wasting my warranty.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I think you have a fault with it personally.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

OK have had a good play this morning (with the radio) and AM & FM are spot on. It seems the RX is too sensitive for strong stations and they overload the RX. I find backing the RF gain off to the 2 - 3 o'clock position improves things massively. I might add it hasn't seemed as bad today so maybe my ears are becoming accustomed to it.

I tried to get a video of the scratchy audio but it isn't being picked up to well so it is hardly noticeable.

Another thing I am also taking into consideration is the fact that most of the stations I have heard on 10 have been Russian and other eastern block countries and we all know how they like to run big dirty amps and overdrive everything LOL

I think it's been that long since I have had a radio that I have used with that wide open top end style Cybernet audio that I am just not used to it any more.

I will still do a side by side comparison with my friends and see how it sounds. Will let you know the results.

By the way Simon, cheers for the advice on the tone squelch, works a treat and thanks for pointing out the DR-135 has a col button, I couldn't see it for the life of me lol.

Not sure if you are aware but if you turn the radio on while holding the FUNC button and keeping it held the whole display illuminates till you release the FUNC button. I also know how to get into the Service Menu if you want to know I will PM you the details.