Lincoln 2 Engineering Mode!

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Lincoln 2 Engineering Mode!

Post by Mudslinger »

Another arguement says that if the radio worked as well as people expected when it was new then they wouldn't feel the need to fiddle.

When a brand spanking new radio is comprehensively out performed by well used radios of 20-30 years old then they are quite right to suspect that something might be wrong with it.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Yeah , but saying that Simon . If you knew that your radio had a secret menu and you found out how to enter it I bet 9/10 people would have a look at it anyway . I know I probably would . Changing the values is another matter all together . For me they are 2 seperate issues .

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
DL4OBG
New User
New User
Call Sign: DL4OBG

Post by DL4OBG »

Hi out there!

I also own a new L II and ran into the same issue with very bad and distorted reception on strong SSB signals.
The audio gets better, when I switch to CW but that's no option, just for testing.
I also encountered very strong USB signals are detectable in LSB. Will someone else will do this test please and report?

I mailed all this to President groups in Balaruc and the only answer I got, that other's claim for other things like
-It does not deliver 100 Watts or more
-It is too small
-They have problems with the small knops and switches because they have big fingers.
-Only less than 1% of complaints matter real technical issues like bad reception on strong ssb signals and that would be an acceptable rating for them.

That's pretty annoying, isn't it?

Still they have no clue or won't tell it, even service dealers are fishing in the dark. Some may have ideas what to do like famous "Kucha Hans" but... being serious, why should I pay for it? So, in my opinion, it's not an amateur radio rig, it's just another CB box.

Something about the engineering mode. It may be of interest by many, but I think it does not help to post individual settings. Because they ARE individual. Does anyone want to know how the tiny pot's are oriented? Would it help to know how many turns some particular filters are adjusted?
I don't think so... ;) It's the same thing at all.
Also for "06 bfo-xx" is like adjusting the coils for 10,695 BFO on other rigs for tx. I did some slight readjustments there.
Care for the frequency display! It changes 10kHz up on tx-ing somewhere!
I've found out that "08 CtS" and "09 dCS" sets the deviation for CTCSS and DCS tones. But... enter at your own risc.

Some points may only be adjustable by pc-programs but as long there is no service sheet with correct setups you only can make things bad or worse.
Rumours say that the software for the stryker 955hp will work but I'm sure it won't fit in all needs, special in ponts of alignment it won't be helpful.

So... as long we are left alone by President corporation, you can
-wait for "official" help
-resend and get refund (the dealer may do with it what he wants to, but thats a bit unfair to the dealer, ain't it?)
-use as it is
-sell used.

73 Lou
Tarambor
Banned
Banned

Post by Tarambor »

DL4OBG wrote: I also encountered very strong USB signals are detectable in LSB. Will someone else will do this test please and report?
They are on all radios if the strong signal is splattering sufficiently enough to be in the passband of LSB.

If you're on 27.000 LSB you'll be receiving 26.997-27.000MHz. If someone is on USB on 27.000 with a splattering signal or their rig is off frequency or they're tuned so they're transmitting within 26.997-27.000 you'll hear them although you won't be able to understand what they're saying.

As for the distorted signals on strong SSB, the advice of backing the RF gain down is technically correct. I was at a ham friends discussing this and he turned the AGC off on his radio and a very strong signal sounded bloody terrible on SSB as it was clearly overdriving the audio amp. Crank down the gain and it was better. It could be the fact they've got the AGC set badly and if that's the case a simple firmware update to alter the setting should cure it.
DL4OBG
New User
New User

Post by DL4OBG »

@Tarambor:

Yes I know you will always receive "something" if you are on the other sideband. But if the signal is sent in USB, and I switch to LSB and I still can read what the OM is talking, that couldn't be right, right? No excuses if the signal is very strong or not. But, maybe this deals also with the fact of bad and distorted audio on strong sideband signals, due to bad action of the AGC.

Hey, we are in 2014 and it should be known that shortwave signals can be very strong, so any AGC should be able to handle this right. Any other rig does, ah, period... there once were issues on the Jackson, right? Anyway, it's no excuse to make the same error, eh?

Show me a modern rig where you can switch off the AGC. Yes, right, on the old boat-anchors it could be possible. But if an AGC is working, it has to work properly, even on strong and strongest signals. So they surely have set the AGC range bad. And I know it's not all the same on every L II.
Some work properly, another fact that there is something wrong.

73 Lou
DL4OBG
New User
New User

Post by DL4OBG »

Hello!

I got a mail with a service notification from President Groups about a curing modification of some parts regarding SSB receive audio and the -nervous- acting of the S-meter.

Simon also got it and posted it on his blog and I believe I may post his link here.

If someone does not have the skills to proceed on their own, a service dealer might help then.

Here you'll find the service infos: http://simonthewizard.com/2014/03/12/pr ... e-updates/

73 DL4OBG
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

DL4OBG wrote:Hello!

I got a mail with a service notification from President Groups about a curing modification of some parts regarding SSB receive audio and the -nervous- acting of the S-meter.

Simon also got it and posted it on his blog and I believe I may post his link here.

If someone does not have the skills to proceed on their own, a service dealer might help then.

Here you'll find the service infos: http://simonthewizard.com/2014/03/12/pr ... e-updates/

73 DL4OBG
I strongly suggest any affected radios are sent back to President Electronics Group for the work.

I feel where I have the ability and skills and equipment to carry out the work, areas of it look rather fiddly due to the SMT nature of the design.
Also be aware I have given my thoughts of the issues to the manifacturer since I first received the product (the first one in the UK).
PLEASE NOTE.....This document is NOT a fake, I received it also from President Electronics yesterday afternoon also :D .

Sadly this should never of happened , but I have bought new to market HF radios that cost five times more than the Lincoln II that had initial issues.
Hats off to President for adressing the issues so promptly with this product.

Dave,
M0OGY Radio and Antenna Reviews.
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM612

Post by Warden »

How do you "delete" those components. Will a normal pencil eraser work. :lol:
26-TM-612

No one rules if no one obeys.

Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 09/09/14 :)
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

So who will be the first to report back that their once poorly Lincoln 2 is now as it should be after the mods are carried out?

Now that would be interesting.

And what does this mean in reference to those people who have Vehemently voice that there are no issues with their lincoln2?

Different production runs where the components were correct?
Can't help but love an Adams.

cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

Warden wrote:How do you "delete" those components. Will a normal pencil eraser work. :lol:

Angle Grinder.
Warden
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM612

Post by Warden »

Stronty wrote:

I doubt any radios were made where components were correct. I think that might mean a new circuit board design as the fix involves jumping a resistor between two components. Seems like a hack solution before they can make changes to the board. Or all radios from now on will need to have this done by hand.
26-TM-612

No one rules if no one obeys.

Winner of the amazing In before the lock game 09/09/14 :)
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

I strongly suggest that we all get in touch with the dealers who sold us the radios and find out what they intend to do for us. Afterall THEY took our money and although its not their fault that the radios are faulty, THEY DO have the responsibility of sorting it out.

I am currently waiting for a response from the retailer who sold the radio to me.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I don't have any SMD soldering equipment , so I wouldn't even consider undertaking this job . Also , if you made an arse of it would your waranty still be valid ? I'd send it back .

S.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Warden wrote:
Stronty wrote:

I doubt any radios were made where components were correct. I think that might mean a new circuit board design as the fix involves jumping a resistor between two components. Seems like a hack solution before they can make changes to the board. Or all radios from now on will need to have this done by hand.
I doubt that too but it does not explain the people who don't have issue with them!
And what does this mean in reference to those people who have Vehemently voice that there are no issues with their lincoln2?

So what does that mean for the Folk that say there is nothing wrong with them?
Can't help but love an Adams.

Vapor
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: dipstick

Post by Vapor »

There is only one thing to do and thats send it back, it should never have come to market with the faults in the first place.
CB dipstick

73's and Good DX people!