Lincoln 2 Engineering Mode!

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Lincoln 2 Engineering Mode!

Post by delboyonline »

Stronty wrote:So the Service Menu values are specific to the radio?

I can see that being the case with Menu items 1-6,

Items 10 thru 23 though?

We need others to post the values on their radios to find out but I suspect they will be different but probably within a certain range of each other.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Vapor wrote:
cb4ever104 wrote:It seems crazy that each radio wouldn't have it's own factory defaults built in . As previously stated the 2nd hand market for these now is going to be a mine field .

The radio does have a reset, but thats just for menu settings ect, the service menu cant have defaults as its for adjustments much like the hidden menu's on most ham radio's these days they are for service engineer's with the right test equipment.
Thanks Matt . Sorry , I get it now .

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Deleted
Last edited by delboyonline on 16 Feb 2014, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The more people that enter Engineering mode is guaranteed to increase the number of radios that end up knackered . They're obviously made it too easy to access .

Time will tell ...
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Vapor
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: dipstick

Post by Vapor »

cb4ever104 wrote:The more people that enter Engineering mode is guaranteed to increase the number of radios that end up knackered . They're obviously made it too easy to access .

Time will tell ...

I couldn't agree more! there will be more button pushing rig doctors, all these settings should have been left to the USB connection only with a hard code for service engineers! I can see alot of botched lincoln 2s ending up doing the rounds moved on from one to another all having a fiddle on the way. and whats worse is someone is gona start fiddling inside to cure a engineer setting that been borked before they owned the radio!
CB dipstick

73's and Good DX people!
jkb

Post by jkb »

just cant understand the benefit of this thread.its just going to encourage idiots to **** about with thier lincolns,you'v posted on other sites too i see.
why????
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

How much of a problem is it, really? Lots of other radios have well known Eng Modes, surely? If people are dumb enough to F up their radios, that's their problem. I don't believe in secrets, it makes things harder for cautious people with the sense to note the settings and not fiddle without good reason. It's no different to the colourful screws inside the radio, if people are going to be daft they'll find a way.

"Security through obscurity" is generally considered to be unreliable, a mistake.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

There are service manuals for other radios all over the net, I would argue that stuff like that doesn't necessarily encourage people to fiddle, so why would knowing about an engineering mode do the same?
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Hmm! looks like the messenger is being shot here {bnghd} {bnghd}

I would say that Delboy just did what other people were either pending to do or had done already on other forums.

He made it clear, no clearer could he have made it DON'T TOUCH !

Now because you hear of 3 people who allegedly buggered their radios it must be down to Delboy!

I bet you are the same lot that believe in the nanny state, that the more you litigate the more legitimate the claim must be! {bnghd} {bnghd}

Nowhere does it strike you that decisions you make in your mind to do things that you have little knowledge of could have adverse effect and that you and you alone are to blame for your decisions!!

NO! because it was him on that forum that did it! {bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd}

I mean seriously! Grow up and stand tall on your own fck ups!

Darwin awards spring to mind!
Last edited by Stronty on 17 Feb 2014, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Can't help but love an Adams.

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Stronty wrote:Hmm! looks like the messengers is being shot here {bnghd} {bnghd}

I would say that Delboy just did what other people were either pending to do or had done already on other forums.

He made it clear, no clearer could he have made it DON'T TOUCH !

Now because you hear of 3 people who allegedly buggered their radios it must be down to Delboy!

I bet you are the same lot that believe in the nanny state, that the more you litigate the more legitimate the claim must be! {bnghd} {bnghd}

Nowhere does it strike you that decisions you make in your mind to do things that you have little knowledge of could have adverse effect and that you and you alone are to blame for your decisions!!

NO! because it was him on that forum that did it! {bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd}

I mean seriously! Grow up and stand tall on your own fck ups!

Darwin awards spring to mind!
Couldn't agree more . There's that old adage , "Curiosity killed the cat" . Or "Lincoln" in this case . If you don't know what you're doing then leave it alone . My ex taught me that years ago :)
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
jkb

Post by jkb »

well how many times have you heard "i thought id have a go myself" and the nanny state exists because people are so stupid as in keeping pit bulls that eventually kill someone. and drinking themselves to death for a bet. have you read some of the posts on here? these are presidents customers,they dont need any assistance in cocking up thier radios. and stronty if you bought one of these self modified radios you might change your mind.in fact i hope you do.
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

I would never buy a secondhand radio anyway, for precisely this reason - not without seeing it in action, or from a reputable dealer.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

jkb wrote:well how many times have you heard "i thought id have a go myself" and the nanny state exists because people are so stupid as in keeping pit bulls that eventually kill someone. and drinking themselves to death for a bet. have you read some of the posts on here? these are presidents customers,they dont need any assistance in **** up thier radios. and stronty if you bought one of these self modified radios you might change your mind.in fact i hope you do.
Nope not going to buy one second hand, no reason too! most of the second hand ones I have seen are not cheap enough.

If you choose to fiddle with your own radio no matter who's customer you are, you the fiddler are to blame for what you do & if you cannot fix it then you must be prepared to pay someone else too!

You were informed on this forum, at least, of the dangers.

Stop shooting the messenger and live by your own informed decisions surely?
Can't help but love an Adams.

108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Easy solution = move this thread to 11m modification + repair,as it states if you f*ck it up don't blame us.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

The price you pay for freedom is the responsibility for your own fuckups, you break it, you pay to fix it.

Personally, I'm pleased that 'engineering modes' are open and available, how annoyed would everyone be if there were no way to adjust these radios or they were locked and only the factory could adjust them? Would you be happy to send an out of warranty radio back to the factory with all the associated costs and risks?

If you are stupid enough to twiddle the coils and pots on any radio or alter factory settings without knowing what you're doing then it's your own damn fault. Especially if you ignore clear warnings not to.

Oh, the reason that each radio doesn't have a restore to 'my defaults' is because the adjustments are there to compensate for tolerances in components and manufacture. They are a base line that will work. Similar to a car's ECU when it's in limp home mode.