Has 2 meters become a CB band?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Has 2 meters become a CB band?

Post by StormShadow »

bigpimp347 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:This just shows that on 146 mhz you still get bad characters who want to ruin the fun

is this a pirate band ???

i won't even ask, but were any of these foundation licence holders, or even B licencees ??
None were foundation license holders. One was an Intermediate holder and the others were full license holders.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

StormShadow wrote:Hi. I love using 2 meters its one of my favorite Amateur bands and I have always used the band properly and I'm sure there are lots of other people that also use the band properly too.

I was listening to the Essex boys on 2 meters and the amount of F-ing and blinding I heard was unbelievable. I could tell one of them was totally drunk by the way he was talking... one also left his mic keyed up at one point so that others could hear the operator having an argument with his wife/girlfriend. I won't mention any call signs. I decided not to join in with their QSO but to listen instead.

What is going on with 2 meters?

Has anybody else heard these numpties?
I've heard not dissimilar antics on 20M. And cb.

Where you get human beings you'll increasingly find chumps, eejuts and brain donors. In this day and age I don't know why anyone is surprised any more.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

bigpimp347 wrote:i won't even ask
Fair enough. Seems like a sensible proposition...
bigpimp347 wrote:were any of these foundation licence holders, or even B licencees ??
Ah! You see what happened there?
StormShadow wrote:None were foundation license holders.
Well I'll be... if you don't ask, you won't find out - eh Pimpy?

:lol:
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Bugger me..!!!

sounds like disgruntled Amateurs already p1ssed off with the state of amateur radio that they no longer care.

if OfCom and the RSGB don't care, why should anyone else.. ;)
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I know. Sometimes I do find myself wondering why I even bothered to get my license. I could have just made up my own call sign and gone on air without bothering to do the exams. I expect that's the way Amateur radio is going now.

Its a bit like this country. Weak. No body cares anymore.

This country is being torn apart & nobody gives a hoot toot, so its not just Ham radio. Shame really.
wysiwyg73
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G4OIG

Post by wysiwyg73 »

StormShadow wrote:This country is being torn apart & nobody gives a hoot toot, so its not just Ham radio. Shame really.
I totally agree. While the original post refers to a small number of individuals in a small area of the country, my worry would be that like a bad apple in a box of apples, the rot will spread. Having said that, I have been licensed for 44 years and there have periodically been grumbles about operators being drunk and swearing on air throughout that period and not always on the 2m band. None of the bad behaviour lasted for very long. Either the authorities had a word with those concerned or they moved on to something else.

Think positive. Maintain good operating standards and above all, don't let the unsatisfactory behaviour of others spoil what is an excellent pastime!
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR »

I come from both sides of the formula so I can appreciate the comments mentioned above, but I personally think amateur radio is going down the pan very quickly, various reasons one being the old guard and their smug elitism, RSGB not having any real influence or effect over anything regarding amateur, Ofcom's lack of resources and the list goes on.

Yes we have a few IQ0'S on the bands maybe due to the simplicity of the foundation exam who knows, but this pails into insignificance to me when the elitist try to force you and other associates with whom you are conversing with off a frequency which may be a few KHz +/- away from the sacred and haloed frequncy, which they have used for 500 years and they own it! This by the way is long term full license holders that have not got any modicum of sense to vary their power or at least turn the microphone gain off so you cannot hear them talking to some one else in the room as to how they clear the frequency, and then ten minutes later when you have gone the group net begins and low and behold its the exact signal and voice of the so called silent QRM! :lol:

I am on the verge of giving up or buying the biggest linear amplifier and say stuff, and do my own thing and if I ever get prosecuted then so be it I will then give up!
Rant over
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

The aRSeGB have far to much input and influence for my liking.
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

bigpimp347 wrote:Bugger me..!!!

sounds like disgruntled Amateurs already p1ssed off with the state of amateur radio that they no longer care.

if OfCom and the RSGB don't care, why should anyone else.. ;)
+1
chin913
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: notafullone

Post by chin913 »

Such a shame 2mts is so crap in all your areas ,I hope things get better for you . Be a shame for any one to sell up and give in to plonkers...
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Post by JohnB57 »

Maybe if a few of you who are just whingeing about it actually went away and did something positive to get spectrum abuse stopped, rather than expecting someone else to do it for you, we'd get somewhere. Instead of directing hate towards the RSGB, make them do what they should be doing by reporting abuse to AROS, THEN you can legitimately complain if they don't get it stopped.

And what's the difference in reality between using profanities on air and posting them on here?
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Do you know I'm getting fed up of comparing two meters with CB Radio,
Have you listened to CB Radio these days??
Your living back in 1985 my Friend.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

JohnB57 wrote:Maybe if a few of you who are just whingeing about it actually went away and did something positive to get spectrum abuse stopped, rather than expecting someone else to do it for you, we'd get somewhere. Instead of directing hate towards the RSGB, make them do what they should be doing by reporting abuse to AROS, THEN you can legitimately complain if they don't get it stopped.
People! People! Please.........

There is no reason why we can't do something about the abuse and direct hate towards the RSGB!
RogerD
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RogerD »

But CB was open to everyone, whereas ham radio is now open to..... anyone attending a simple course, even kids. :lol:
And anyone who can make up a callsign and buy a cheap handheld off the internet for less than a new CB used to cost (inflation adjusted) back in the 80s.

Hmmmm. Maybe it is CB now. CB for geeks, without so many women. :(
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Ham radio has always been open to anyone with half a brain cell, some time and the desire. In that send nothing has changed whatsoever.

And what the problem with kids doing it? Most of them at keener, better behaved, and more.conscientious users than their up-their-own-bottoms adult counterparts.