Has 2 meters become a CB band?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Has 2 meters become a CB band?

Post by MW6ZAN »

I monitor s20 daily down er in the vale of glam not heard a bad thing on 145.500 whatsoever mind gb3bc and gb3wr tend to have there moments seems to be problems with repeaters more than simplex gb3ww was closed down a few months ago had major problems. best 73 de
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

4 watts on 2.4GHz ummmm its already happening.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

Not seen the likes of which is being discussed here, probably lucky I usually stick to the bits of the band not inhabited by the Baofeng and Wouxun of this World, somewhere around 144.300MHz ;)
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

northern35s wrote:Not seen the likes of which is being discussed here, probably lucky I usually stick to the bits of the band not inhabited by the Baofeng and Wouxun of this World, somewhere around 144.300MHz ;)
I agree, 2 meters has always been.....well 2 meters!
You get out of it, exactly what you "put in"!
If it is to be branded as becoming a "CB band", you can only blame the attitude, and presence on it, of people who wish to use/treat it that way!
As a frequency, and as a band, you can with the right equipment and attitude, achieve very sensible and good results, it has never changed!
If you only CHUCK a Baofeng at it, you get Baofeng results, if you endeavour to apply better equipment and technical abilities to it, the results are often hugely different! ;)
It is at the end of the day what YOU make of it, no more, no less!
iangoose
Regular
Regular

Post by iangoose »

26TM554 wrote:If in the Coventry area there are always a bunch of Muppets on 145.550. Worse think is listening to them they actually sound licensed, they occasionally talk about radio stuff but most of the time they are just F***ing and blinding. they now they are doing wrong as if they do give a call it will be M0 blah blah blah (literally). The prefix can be different but the way of giving the call is the same. At the same time 11m is dead.
have you ever tried just taking to the people on the said 145.550???? you will find they are very helpful to new people on the airwaves and always willing to give great advice that other people dont bother with!!!!!! just try being a new station on nowaday and asking a G station for help or advice they dont want to know!!!so before you mouth off about people who are willing to help anyone who comes on that channel try talking to them and not just jumping to the wrong conclusion.. regards iangoose
Jon_D
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4FUT

Post by Jon_D »

asking a G station for help or advice they dont want to know!!!
I think that is a bit harsh and quite untrue. :shock: A group of "G"S from this very forum set up a slow CW net to assist any members who wished to learn the code.
Even if the voices on my head aren't real, they do have some pretty good ideas

Jon G4FUT
Ex-Army
RSARS 1425
iangoose
Regular
Regular

Post by iangoose »

well the G stations where you are in COUNTY DURHAM might be very helpful indeed but you dont live down here where most not all i stress of the G stations have there head stuck up there own .... there are some good people on the airwaves and loads that are just stuck in there old stubborn anti social ways.... regards iangoose
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

iangoose wrote:well the G stations where you are in COUNTY DURHAM might be very helpful indeed but you dont live down here where most not all i stress of the G stations have there head stuck up there own .... there are some good people on the airwaves and loads that are just stuck in there old stubborn anti social ways.... regards iangoose
Maybe just 'Southerners'. I lived down there for many years.

I'm a Justified Ancient of 'G'. I don't go lecturing people, but if they ask a question .....

What Fred Dibnah was to steam, I am to radio.
iangoose
Regular
Regular

Post by iangoose »

ChrisCSL wrote:
iangoose wrote:well the G stations where you are in COUNTY DURHAM might be very helpful indeed but you dont live down here where most not all i stress of the G stations have there head stuck up there own .... there are some good people on the airwaves and loads that are just stuck in there old stubborn anti social ways.... regards iangoose
Maybe just 'Southerners'. I lived down there for many years.

I'm a Justified Ancient of 'G'. I don't go lecturing people, but if they ask a question .....

What Fred Dibnah was to steam, I am to radio.
thank you for your reply chris... i must stress that not all G stations are stuck up the own .....s .. just some. not you by the sounds of it. regards iangoose
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

Yep, It's grim up North.

But people talk to you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfSCrCpyUJ8
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

ChrisCSL wrote:Maybe just 'Southerners.
Yes. As someone who has come to live in the north from the south, people don't judge you up here. I've had no issues at all on ham radio, people are happy to talk to you whoever you are.

No desire to move south - ever.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
iangoose
Regular
Regular

Post by iangoose »

thanks to all the people that replied to me.
iangoose
Regular
Regular

Post by iangoose »

if anyone else has any views on this topic like the person going on about 145.550 useage in the coventry area ( notice he hasnt said anything else in reply to my comments ) please feel free to air your views... regards iangoose ( local coventry 145.550 user )
cottonfoo

Post by cottonfoo »

I live in the south, and have never heard anything bad on 2m (except for when a certain someone has been drinking on GB3AL). I really am not sure what all this "South" business is all about.

And for what it's worth, I've no desire to live in the north - ever ;)

(I'm going to edit this before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick, given a lottery win I'd be out of the south east like a flash, but only because of the overcrowding :) )
Steve. IC-R8500, IC-706MKIIG, TM-V71E, BCT15X, VX-8DE, IC-R20. Diamond X200N & X30, Wellbrook ALA1530S+, G5RV.
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

Post by chazwozza »

Agreed