Has 2 meters become a CB band?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Has 2 meters become a CB band?

Post by StormShadow »

Hi. I love using 2 meters its one of my favorite Amateur bands and I have always used the band properly and I'm sure there are lots of other people that also use the band properly too.

I was listening to the Essex boys on 2 meters and the amount of F-ing and blinding I heard was unbelievable. I could tell one of them was totally drunk by the way he was talking... one also left his mic keyed up at one point so that others could hear the operator having an argument with his wife/girlfriend. I won't mention any call signs. I decided not to join in with their QSO but to listen instead.

What is going on with 2 meters?

Has anybody else heard these numpties?
Last edited by StormShadow on 03 Feb 2014, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: Has 2 meters become a CB band?

Post by JGR »

Welcome to CB/amateur radio, now available to a much wider audience. :lol:
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

StormShadow wrote:Hi. I love using 2 meters its one of my favorite Amateur bands and I have always used the band properly and I'm sure there are lots of other people that also use the band properly too.

I was listening to the Essex boys on 2 meters on 144.725 MHz and the amount of F-ing and blinding I heard was unbelievable. I could tell one of them was totally drunk by the way he was talking... one also left his mic keyed up at one point so that others could hear the operator having an argument with his wife/girlfriend. I won't mention any call signs. I decided not to join in with their QSO but listen instead.

What is going on with 2 meters?

Has anybody else heard these?
Why Won't you mention call signs? I think you should name and shame!
Having said that, it isn't an isolated incident, it is going on all over ham radio and not just 2mtrs.

I can see us losing a few bands in the not too distant future, as the idea of self policing isn't working!
And Ofcom have neither the time or resources to clean them up! which is a shame!
Ah well I'll just keep spinning that dial. sigh! :(
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

Please could you stop slandering 27 mhz there are many good operators on there. This just shows that on 146 mhz you still get bad characters who want to ruin the fun and even though the same happens on CB does not mean you can compare any poor behaviour to 27mhz. Are you a G callsign by any chance?
George EI7KO
Call Sign: EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

Fasten your seatbelts ladies and gentlemen, we are about to encounter some turbulence....lol
chin913
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: notafullone

Post by chin913 »

I dont think it matters what bands you go on there will always be plonkers about, most of the problems I have heard have been on hf on 20mts. Be it cb or ham or people in life there is always good and bad, again spin that dial you wouldn't watch a tv show you didnt like !
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I don't believe in naming and shaming call signs, I don't really want to get into that side of things.

I really hope that no bands are taken away from us. I guess it indeed happens on all bands particularly 2/70 well 70cm is just repeaters now and digital communications now although you get very little abuse on 70cm repeaters mainly dead keys on repeaters but that soon goes away when the repeaters become busy. I do try my best to encourage people to use 70cm simplex. I suppose you have PMR446 now.

2 meters mainly one particular frequency has become the VHF CB channel it would seem, but know what you mean about it going on all bands.

I think it would be a good idea to do something about ofcom because they are useless in every way. We need something like the FCC
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

StormShadow wrote: 2 meters mainly one particular frequency has become the VHF CB channel
Well I am petitioning a VHF CB channel if you look on the licence free section of the forums. 2 meter band is not a "VHF CB" channel because it is for licences users of amateur radio operators so it is not a citizens band.
maddog47
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by maddog47 »

i had to join this forum on the basis of what i have just read so i can put my 2 pennyworth
so essex boys and girls are gobbey people and the rest of the uk is as good as gold
well i use these bands frequently and cant say i heard what you"ve heard the frequency you gave is not one i use in this part of essex so before you spread muck all over the place try and narrow it down a bit essex is a large county and is right next door to hertfordshire
i dont think it matters where there from its the fact there on the radio...
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

Excalibur wrote:
StormShadow wrote: 2 meters mainly one particular frequency has become the VHF CB channel
Well I am petitioning a VHF CB channel if you look on the licence free section of the forums. 2 meter band is not a "VHF CB" channel because it is for licences users of amateur radio operators so it is not a citizens band.
I think its a very good idea to petition for a VHF CB band maybe 149 MHz would be good. I have nothing against CB users, however there is a lot of rubbish on 27MHz CB I'm sure there are a few good operators on 27MHz however there is no denying that there is a lot of rubbish on 27MHz CB.

I know 2 meters ain't a CB band but what I was saying is that there is one frequency in particular on the 2 meter band that is being used as a VHF CB channel.
Neilman2424
New User
New User

Post by Neilman2424 »

HI There ,

I am a Licenced Ham and operate in the Essex Area on 2m/70cms and other bands
I have not heard anything like this at all, im not sure what part of essex it relates to.
There has been a spate of keyer uppers and Repeater jammmers but this has allways been the case even way back when i was first licensed in 1988.......Dont give the essex Hams a bad name its only a few out there 73's and good DX
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Must be some strong shandy down Essex these days.....
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

LeakyFeeder wrote:Must be some strong shandy down Essex these days.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

Excalibur wrote:This just shows that on 146 mhz you still get bad characters who want to ruin the fun

is this a pirate band ???

i won't even ask, but were any of these foundation licence holders, or even B licencees ??
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I've just been informed by few other amateurs that the offenders of 144.725 are already under investigation.