Cobra 148 fake?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: Cobra 148 fake?

Post by cb4ever104 »

You should have bought one of the NOS Lafayette 2400FMs that I sold recently instead :)
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

They aren't as collectable though. There are fewer Mk.3 Cobras around.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Yeah...common as muck those Lafayettes ;)

I know the only difference is a bit of writing on it, but I suppose it's like people wanting a "Cobra" rather than a Superstar.

As you all know, I don't do sidebanders, although I have got a Nato 2000 (because it's got the 27/81 badge on it) and a few tarted-up ones too, but I knew it was a bit special so I thought what the heck.

I thought I remembered someone on here saying they'd got one a fair few years back, but I can't recall who it was and can't find mention of where they said they'd got one using the search function.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

It was probably Ashtec, he had his hands on all sorts over the years.

Hope he’s alright, not seen him on here in a while
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

I've got one. It's not boxed, and doesn't have an original mike, but it's presentable and fully working last time I powered it up. I got it in need of repair and Nick worked his magic on it.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Aha, maybe you're that very person then as I knew someone on here had mentioned owning one.

This one's coming with a Cobra mic', but it's one that's normally found on the Mk1 and Mk2. The famous pink box shows it as being a 'clock-face' mic' style.

Some of the Amstrads showed a particular mic' on their boxes (there were at least 4 versions - Nato/Harvard "rectangular blocks on grille" Colt/Cobra Mk3 "clock-face", Icom/Harvard "horizontal bars/ rounded bottom" and another never seen in the flesh style that was like the "Robin Reliant" style but with differing thickness horizontal bars) , only to have a differently-shaped one inside when the brand new box was opened though.

The chances of finding a box, original microphone and instruction manual are somewhat remote I would imagine ;)
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Otter wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 21:42 They aren't as collectable though. There are fewer Mk.3 Cobras around.
It was a joke . That's why I added the little smiley face at the end .

Anyway . Hope you enjoy it Dave . :thumbup:

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

The Collector wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 08:01 The famous pink box shows it as being a 'clock-face' mic' style.
It's the same mic that came with my 2400FMs .
2400FM_1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's handy to know that Lafayette did the same style mic', thanks Sammy :)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 08:01 Aha, maybe you're that very person then as I knew someone on here had mentioned owning one.

This one's coming with a Cobra mic', but it's one that's normally found on the Mk1 and Mk2. The famous pink box shows it as being a 'clock-face' mic' style.

Some of the Amstrads showed a particular mic' on their boxes (there were at least 4 versions - Nato/Harvard "rectangular blocks on grille" Colt/Cobra Mk3 "clock-face", Icom/Harvard "horizontal bars/ rounded bottom" and another never seen in the flesh style that was like the "Robin Reliant" style but with differing thickness horizontal bars) , only to have a differently-shaped one inside when the brand new box was opened though.

The chances of finding a box, original microphone and instruction manual are somewhat remote I would imagine ;)
The 360FM came with the cheap feeling Fidelity style mic. But the 2000 came supplied with with the 148 style coffin mic.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

That's a pretty rare mic'. You don't see many of those around with the black background.
Avenger
Call Sign: 163TM122

Post by Avenger »

Good rig Dave I'd have been happy with one of those, Not like you to go for that sort of radio mind.
163TM122 - ROB
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 22:04 That's a pretty rare mic'. You don't see many of those around with the black background.
Back in the 90's I bought a 360FM off someone and it had this type of mic with it. Having owned several 148's with the stock mic I automatically assumed that it was the correct mic for the radio.

I've not seen another one since.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Avenger wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 22:12 Good rig Dave I'd have been happy with one of those, Not like you to go for that sort of radio mind.
I know, I know ;)

I like unusual stuff, but usually of the 27/81 kind. They're few and far between, so I thought I'd add it to my little SSB collection. Well, apart from a Nato 2000 and Superstar 360FM with stealth plate, all my other SSB ones are my "Dave Special" ones, but it'll still look good sat with them.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

astradyne wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 09:09 I've not seen another one since.
I've got a couple . They came with the old 360 .

Sammy
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .