Illegal Repeater Usage

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Illegal Repeater Usage

Post by Monsta »

i don't think is much to do with M6's at all !

I mean last month I heard a guy (who owns one of them canal boat homes) ....nice fella.
speaking to a guy ...saying they use "Bo-fengs" to talk to each other on the marina or something
My ears pricked up ...and i asked a few questions ....

Apparently they use them as they "are the best Walkie Talkies and have hundreds of channels"

I believe a lot of people see them as just that... You can imagine it.

".................Go to 145.200 Trevor, see if we can get a better signal....." :lol:
10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
writemaster
New User
New User
Call Sign: bthub3

Post by writemaster »

Hi everyone,

this is my first time/ post on this site ..
i found the site today ( 29th /06 /13 ) whilst searching the internet for GB3WW, and in particular any disclosures under the FOI act regarding the abuse , interference on the repeater, complaints to Ofcom ( if any ) ,dates of complaints ( if any ) ,action taken ( if any ), and by whom etc...

so far i cant find any information ...does anyone know if any request/s have been made under the foi act ?.
i , like hundreds of others in the area would like to know what's going on ...
regarding the abuse on the repeater ...
it hasn't stoped..it hapens everyday ..
it's hapening now as i type ..
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

writemaster wrote:Hi everyone,

this is my first time/ post on this site ..
i found the site today ( 29th /06 /13 ) whilst searching the internet for GB3WW, and in particular any disclosures under the FOI act regarding the abuse , interference on the repeater, complaints to Ofcom ( if any ) ,dates of complaints ( if any ) ,action taken ( if any ), and by whom etc...

so far i cant find any information ...does anyone know if any request/s have been made under the foi act ?.
it's hapening now as i type ..
The only FOI you need is GW4FOI the repeater keeper, with repeaters you only need to contact the keeper or repeater group. I doubt OFCOM would or even would be obliged to give details of on going investigations. One MW0 is waiting for his day in court so far!!
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
writemaster
New User
New User

Post by writemaster »

''The only FOI you need is GW4FOI the repeater keeper, with repeaters you only need to contact the keeper or repeater group.''

thanks for your reply ...
you may perhaps have assumed from reading my post that i'm new to radio ...well no , i've had a licence since mid 70's..
as for asking FOI and the repeater group ( does such a group exist ? ) ..i don't know of one ..
perhaps you could post a link to it ..

i know foi and i speak to him on the repeater / radio .....

'' hence my question to everyone ..
does anyone know if any request/s have been made under the foi act ?.
it's hapening now as i type ..''

many thanks .
Jon_D
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4FUT

Post by Jon_D »

I believe you can report offenders to AROS,
C/O RSGB.
Even if the voices on my head aren't real, they do have some pretty good ideas

Jon G4FUT
Ex-Army
RSARS 1425
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

I think that writemaster is just trying to ascertain whether anyone has already made an FOI request to Ofcom on the matter...

Why not just submit one writemaster? You can do this via email and there is usually no charge. If an existing request covers the same material, they will direct you to that or if, as was suggested, your request relates to an ongoing investigation and cannot be fullfilled, they should inform you of this.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-in ... mation-act
welshy9
Regular
Regular

Post by welshy9 »

i was scanning last night and heard some guys saying about people being muppets last night not sure what freq it was but it was a local one
bigfella8
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: bigfella8

Post by bigfella8 »

I listern to 145.600 on my scanner in Leicester andtheres been a guy on there fishing for an argument about repeater usage,listerning it quite funny but the language was not becoming of amateur radio
uniden 72xlt, ubc3500xlt,bct15x.
crt 6900, president Jackson mk 1,boafeng uv5r+,yeasu ft840,yeasu 7900,8900,kenwood ts 2000.colt excaliber mk1.
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

FOI is your man for all things WW related, he's the keeper and I think the owner of WW. He can possibly explain what OFCOM have done but he would be a bit foolish to discuss ongoing investigations!!!
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
writemaster
New User
New User

Post by writemaster »

'' I think that writemaster is just trying to ascertain whether anyone has already made an FOI request to Ofcom on the matter...''

krOne....

as you rightly point out ..... I was merely trying to ascertain whether anyone has any information obtained officially under the FOI act , of the kind referred to in my post...
so far it would appear not to be the case .

I am aware of and fully conversant with the application procedure and was in the process of submitting an application when I became aware of this site / forum ...

many thanks for your time .
PsiDOC
Call Sign: 163FKU

Post by PsiDOC »

@writemaster,
As far as I am aware nobody has made a request as such. The routine and repeated abuse of WW is a weekly topic amongst members of our ARC and every week someone puts a complaint into ofcom, however wether those complaints will ever be acted upon I don't know.
I just hope that they don't pull the NOV due to the amount of complaints.

Psi
*Proud owner of a Cornflake Packet Amateur License and registered instructor in the art of gaining said license*
Icom IC-756 Pro III
Yaesu FT100D.
President Washington
President Adams
Tait T2020 70mhz
Baofeng UV-5R 2m / 70cm
work
Call Sign: KG6M0

Post by work »

I've been accused of being an illegal Ham operator witch has totally p**sed me off. Some idiot on 70cm kept on keying up the GB3HW repeater right after I had said my callsign now people probably think its me doing it and nobody will talk to me. Its actually put me right off Amateur radio. I only got my Foundation license last week and I can assure you that I'm a legitimate Foundation licensee who is registered with Ofcom and the RSGB of Harrow.

I'm now already having second thoughts as to whether its worth me studying for the Intermediate stage or whether I should just forget about Amateur radio altogether before some idiot gets me into serious trouble.

When I did my Foundation exam it was out of my area and I had to travel to get it done, so nobody knows who I am in my area when I try my local repeater witch is another problem.
geekyninja
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: geek1

Post by geekyninja »

Dont give up on gb3hw it can be a good repeater. depending where you are i may also recommend gb3oy is a good one or try some the kent repeaters.
Presently own:
2X Dipoles (2M / 70CM)
2X Baofeng UV-5R (UHF/VHF)
2X puxing PX-777 (UHF)
1X Puxing PX-328 (VHF)
4X Corba MT600 (PMR)
2X Baofeng 777s (UHF)
1X Icom F510 (VHF 2M)
1X Diamond RH771

Oh and a 10ft Pole
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR »

Some stick in the muds do not like foundation licence holders and you need to be hard faced and push through this as we all have rocky moments in the beginning.
What is your method of calling what are you saying when you try to make a contact with other amateurs? I am curious as some are sticklers for protocols and will ignore you if your not following what they see as set in stone methods.
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle
geekyninja
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: geek1

Post by geekyninja »

Question for you Work, is gb3hw your local repeater. If so where abouts are you as it might be worth trying some the local groups
Presently own:
2X Dipoles (2M / 70CM)
2X Baofeng UV-5R (UHF/VHF)
2X puxing PX-777 (UHF)
1X Puxing PX-328 (VHF)
4X Corba MT600 (PMR)
2X Baofeng 777s (UHF)
1X Icom F510 (VHF 2M)
1X Diamond RH771

Oh and a 10ft Pole