SWR [Help]

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
archspoofer

Re: SWR [Help]

Post by archspoofer »

ColinJ wrote:Only started in ham radio last september,so reading instructions sometimes can be little of a minefield,so at the moment i seem to rely on help from experienced radio hams,but think i will go and see some of the club members and see what they say

Colin...

You posted this on Eham also and got the same answer as here. What radio are you using? is it a HF and 2m/70cm or just a 2m/70cm ?

Dan
Age and knowledge don't always come together. Sometimes you just get the age...
ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

Moggy.You are about as arrogant as the other twit on here,i suppose you are you have been a ham for so many years
and you are smart arse, if you cant help some who as only been the hobby for a 4 months DONT reply.
ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

archspoofer.i am using a ft897, but i did not set the station up,it was set up by a senior member at the club, i brought the subject up tonight at the meeting,another member suggested that it possibly could be a bad soldering joint somewhere,and another member came in with the Gamma is not set correct.
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Post by GW0DIV »

Have we ascertained that the LDG is inline with the 2/70 antenna?? I would guess perhaps not and it might be the antenna needs adjusting?? It's easy to get what is connected to where confused if you're not to familiar with the equipment and terminology.
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

GWODIV. Many thanks for your civil reply,and thanks for the links

Cheers
archspoofer

Post by archspoofer »

[quote="ColinJ"]

Does the coax from your beam go directly into the back of the 2m/70cm side of the 897 ?

Then the antenna your using for HF (presuming u have one) go into the tuner then a patch lead from the tuner to the 897 ?

If this is how it's wired then that's correct & probably the beam just needs adjusting.

Hope this helps

Dan

EDIT: kinda just duplicated what GW0DIV said...he beat me to it! :D
Age and knowledge don't always come together. Sometimes you just get the age...
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Colin, with respect, the Tuner will NOT work on 2m or 70cms. If you don;t believe us, then please ask your Foundation course tutor..... if he think's we're wrong too, please let us know which club you attended..... thanks
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
james325

Post by james325 »

There's only one twit one here! And it's you for not reading the manual! :lol: :lol:
G7VAE
ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

James. Do honestly think i would post on here if i had not read the manual,your problem lies with a bad attitude,if yu cannot HELP novices dont make any replies, i didnt mention any names on here who was a twit,so if the cap fits wear it.
james325

Post by james325 »

Don't play silly word games, it's clear you were refering to me. You got told the answer several times. But didn't listen. Good luck with your new hobby. Looks like you will need it.
G7VAE
moggy
Call Sign: 2e0dxi

Post by moggy »

Colin you can call me a twit if you want my answer wasnt rude or arrogant or anything else you seem to think. your first post listed that you were using a ldg pro2 a cushcraft and you cant get the swr under 3.
You also seem hung up that everyone who has a licence must have been on yrs and yrs sorry to burst your bubble i only passed my licence november last year so really you have had yours longer.
Now if you have the atu in line for vhf/uhf it will not tune the aerial properly the atu is designed for hf operation.
Try running the aerial coax directly into the swr and then the radio do not use the atu adjust the gamma untill the swr is to wear you need it to be then put on the mast and use voila working aerial happy m6 job done.
Or look at it this way would you use your cushcraft beam designed for 144/430 to work 20 meters no as you know its not going to work same way hf gear wont work for vhf/uhf.
So where did you take your test or what is your local group you attend as im sure that either your not telling them your trying to use a hf atu to tune a vhf/uhf aerial or there having a good laugh at your expense.
I also am at a loss for your rudeness i posted a polite answer to you which wasnt belittleing or arrogant i explained in simple terms that the atu wasnt designed for what you were using it for.But if you are not using the atu then you shouldnt have put it in the description of what gear you are using i have counted 7 or so answers all saying the same but you did take a strangly defensive stance after that and decided to be rude to people may i suggest next time give all the facts as 1 post you said instructions were a minefield then you said you read them if you had read them you will see working parameters ect ect.
If you would like me to be rude and sarcastic i can do so to give you a reason to be defensive but i was polite to help out a fellow m6 i now wish i hadnt bothered and its no wonder that full tickets say the foundation licence is a joke.
Hope you sort out your station without causing to much damage and wish you all the best for your next stage of licence as after seeing this post i think your really going to need it
Kenwood ts2000e heil studio mic
altron 12m mast tailtwister rotor
hygain th3 mk3 triband/cushcraft 3 ele 6m/2x9 element 2m
gainmaster/x510 whitestick
jaybeam airband vertical
ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

Moggy. I have not said who is wrong / right, they might be having a laugh at my expense,i have another member coming over today if the weather holds out to check it out for me,the problem is that unless you disconnect the atu from the radio when you go 70cm you get a lot of swr, so as it is at the moment the atu is disconnected all the time unless you want to use HF,the coax that feeds into the vhf/uhf as a pl259 fitted and that goes into an adaptor into the radio,but on the coax where the pl259 is fitted there is about 1/2 ins of bare braiding showing.
One club member as suggested the problem is a bad soldering joint,or the antenna as not been tuned correctly,or the HF [G5RV] antenna is to close to the vhf/uhf antenna,so we will see how it goes today
ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

Moggy. On the previous post you said have a word at the club where you took your test,well to inform you the guy who set my station up for me is the guy who tutors for the foundation exam,and is also the President of the club,and for your information i took the test with a guy with 3 A levels who struggled with exam test and got a 85% pass,i got a 93% pass,on the foundation course there is not a lot of information on antennas.
moggy
Call Sign: 2e0dxi

Post by moggy »

Pass rate means nothing i got 100% means nothing.
On the back of your radio which i assume is a 897 does it not have 2 outputs 1 for hf and the other for vhf/uhf i do assume your feeding the aerial from the uhf/vhf feed and a easy mistake to make is to use the hf feed which will cause a mismatch. is there any way you can take a picture of the back of your radio so we can see where the aerial feed goes.
Can i also ask what swr meter your using i take it its one for vhf/uhf as a hf one will give a false swr
If you can possibly give a run down of the gear then we can try to help no-one is trying to be rude or belittling and most are trying to help.
Kenwood ts2000e heil studio mic
altron 12m mast tailtwister rotor
hygain th3 mk3 triband/cushcraft 3 ele 6m/2x9 element 2m
gainmaster/x510 whitestick
jaybeam airband vertical
108AW027
Call Sign: 108TM119

Post by 108AW027 »

moggy wrote:Pass rate means nothing i got 100% means nothing.
On the back of your radio which i assume is a 897 does it not have 2 outputs 1 for hf and the other for vhf/uhf i do assume your feeding the aerial from the uhf/vhf feed and a easy mistake to make is to use the hf feed which will cause a mismatch. is there any way you can take a picture of the back of your radio so we can see where the aerial feed goes.
Can i also ask what swr meter your using i take it its one for vhf/uhf as a hf one will give a false swr
If you can possibly give a run down of the gear then we can try to help no-one is trying to be rude or belittling and most are trying to help.
back pic of an 897...

http://images.nevadaradio.co.uk/large/y ... _web2c.jpg
108 FB 027--108 TM 119