Intermediate pass mark

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
MW0SWA
Call Sign: MW0SWA

Intermediate pass mark

Post by MW0SWA »

Can anyone tell me how many questions you have to get right in the intermediate exam? I know there is 45 questions.
Also what is the pass mark for the advanced exam?

Cheers
I am a bit crazy about the Realistic DX-394
Stewart
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Intermediate pass mark

Post by Stewart »

Advanced is 37 and of 62
MW0SWA

Post by MW0SWA »

Stewart wrote:Advanced is 37 and of 62

The advanced exam is 37 out of 62?
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:o 37 out of 62 why am I worrying?? :)

:) Damn now where did I put that advanced book down ?
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

27 out of 45
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
rizz

Post by rizz »

27 out of 45! I should Breeze it in february. im getting 85% in hamtests when i first tried it i got 30% and I didnt know how caps worked, or what a tuned circuit was I am actually enjoying learning about the electronics side.
Yaesu FT7900, Superstar 3900 Red Display, President Lincoln, Adonis 308, Astatic road devil, Microset 27-200T Amp. Sirio Gp-3 5/8th 2m Antenna.
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

rizz wrote:im getting 85% in hamtests
I was getting about the same on HT's before I took my Intermediate and passed.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Post by 26TM944 »

RedDragon wrote:
Stewart wrote:Advanced is 37 and of 62
The advanced exam is 37 out of 62?
All the exams hover around the 60% mark for a pass. The advanced will introduce MERIT and DISTINCTION grades as well once the optical marking is in place so that you can pass "better" than others :-)

In true C&G style you'll then get some feedback on how well you did. However you can ring the RSGB and they'll tell you how much you passed by any ways - just so you know if you did OK or well.

The questions DO get harder as you move up the levels and the advanced assumes you have a good working knowledge of the hobby. It is not the foundation OR intermediate by some distance. We were told Foundation = 1, Intermediate = 3/4 and the Advanced = 10 on the hard factor!

Hamtests is good but the sample papers from the RCF site are very good and give you an idea of what you'll meet in the exam. And remember that year by year & paper by paper they vary. Some seem quick to take and others need that 2hrs you're given.

But compared to some multi choice RAE papers the current advanced seems a lot more passable! I have my old blue RAE manual - and that is some proper reading ...

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
Stewart
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Stewart »

26TM944 wrote: All the exams hover around the 60% mark for a pass. The advanced will introduce MERIT and DISTINCTION grades as well once the optical marking is in place so that you can pass "better" than others :-)

Steve
Do you know when this is happening.

Hamtests is a walk in the park compared to those two advanced papers on the RSGB site.
rizz

Post by rizz »

Steve
Hamtests is a walk in the park compared to those two advanced papers on the RSGB site.
Same goes for the intermediate got around 10 wrong on both papers :) but I have 2 months reading time untill my test so its all good
Yaesu FT7900, Superstar 3900 Red Display, President Lincoln, Adonis 308, Astatic road devil, Microset 27-200T Amp. Sirio Gp-3 5/8th 2m Antenna.
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 26TM944 »

Stewart wrote:
26TM944 wrote: All the exams hover around the 60% mark for a pass. The advanced will introduce MERIT and DISTINCTION grades as well once the optical marking is in place so that you can pass "better" than others :-)
Steve
It should be this year coming RSGB says that the software has made great progress and once installed grading will be available. Yes Hamtests is good to brush up on - but no where near as hard as a real paper. The sample papers were on par with the exam I sat and offer good real world examples to work too.

Like I said before the Advanced is no walk in the sunshine. It really does require some thinking about. Hence the two hours.

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
MW0SWA

Post by MW0SWA »

26TM944 wrote:
Stewart wrote:
Steve
It should be this year coming RSGB says that the software has made great progress and once installed grading will be available. Yes Hamtests is good to brush up on - but no where near as hard as a real paper. The sample papers were on par with the exam I sat and offer good real world examples to work too.

Like I said before the Advanced is no walk in the sunshine. It really does require some thinking about. Hence the two hours.

Steve

How long did it take you to study for the advanced Steve? And how long ago did u pass the intermediate beforehand? Just curious like.
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 26TM944 »

RedDragon wrote: How long did it take you to study for the advanced Steve? And how long ago did u pass the intermediate beforehand? Just curious like.
I took my intermediate exam in April after a course with my local club (was about 8 weeks for the theory and practicals) and then sat the May 31st Advanced exam. I self studied with the Advanced Now book and the sample papers. I got the book the day after the intermediate exam (as I knew I had passed it then).

The Advanced calls a lot on what you've learnt in the other two exam levels. So you sort of roll-over a lot of the learning. Again the terms and the like are there so you don't really need to study them or the band plans as they provide those in paper format - along with a math formula sheet - so again less to remember. YOU do need to know how to use a scientific calculator unless your Carol Vord! The sums are VERY complex otherwise.

I studied at home using the book and then took the 3 sample papers I had - I did not mark these my XYL did - but she only told me the % I got not which ones. I kept doing this over and over for the 3 papers and reading the book until I got over 70% each and every time.

It was far better to be told each papers score like 66% 60% 71% - rather than which ones you got wrong - as you don't know what or where you were weak - just that you could possibly fail! Try revising more LOL!

Once I had done often enough to feel I could pass it was a couple of days before the exam! I then brushed up on what the multi part license contained. Like beacon output powers and who can use the stations equipment etc. I then read over the ones I had got wrong on the sample papers and then that was it.

I passed with a score of 82% Which is not bad 51 correct out of 62 - but I would love to know which ones I got wrong - 11 seems a lot not to know! LOL shame you don't see the paper again.

But I would say go for it. The exam is hard - and does assume you know the hobby well. But concentrate on what they don't give you - the band plan and conditions - learn the math formulas to use and how to drive that calculator you see in the book I got mine in Tesco for £8 and then a guide on Youtube on how to use it.

And no; I still pinch myself that last year in May I was sitting for my M6 and now I'm a proud owner of an M0.

I never bothered with the exam secrets book. Just the Advanced Now one.

Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
Stewart
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Stewart »

I'm starting to worry :oops:
Yaesu

Post by Yaesu »

I sat the M6 at the end of December last year, the 2E0 in March, and then sat the M0 in June

Just Over 5 months from zero to full

I did a two weekend course for the M6 and scored 100%, Seven saturday mornings for the 2E0 ( which i could only attend four due to work commitments ) and got two questions wrong.

I studied at home from the full license book, and had no training for the M0, i do not know my pass mark, but a pass was good enough for me.
I had four weeks to read the book when i booked the M0 so i spent around an hour most nights reading the book, then in the week before the exam i did the rsgb mock papers and felt that i was ready ( not that i had any choice )

Good luck to anyone sitting the one on Wednesday