Discriminator tap BCT15X

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
kurisu

Discriminator tap BCT15X

Post by kurisu »

does anybody here have any links to walkthroughs, photos and a list of what i need to add a tap to the uniden bct15x?

cheers guys
Uniden BCT15X
rayzor_uk

Re: Discriminator tap BCT15X

Post by rayzor_uk »

BCT15
10uF tantalum capacitor
5k to 10k resistor
3.5mm mono jack (female)……keep in mind that I'm using a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male patch cord to run to the "mic in" on my laptop running Universal Trunker. Others have used an RCA jack instead of the 3.5mm jack.

Solder the positive "+" side of the 10uf Cap directly to the spot marked "DISC"…then solder the resistor in series off the cap (the orientation of the "resistor" is not important). Run your ground wire from the ground on your "jack" to one of the mounting screws on your board…and your wire coming off the "resistor" to the mono jack.

How and ware you mount is your call...and thats it.

Take off the outer case shell, and then the top inner case. Just about dead center on the board look for the solder pad labled "DISC". Run a single insulated wire to this point to a jack of your choice (I prefer RCA jacks) mounted on the rear of the radio. I also like to use a tantalum capacitor in line with the jack as well.

If you take the bottom inner cover off the radio you will see the best place to installe the jack apears to be the area of the bar code/serial number label. You could also just run an audio cable into the radio thru the threaded rear hole or even one of the holes on either side of the radio's rear.
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Hi rayzor and thank you very much for your detailed reply, I know this may be a big ask, but would it be possible for you to put up a picture of how how you have done it?

visually, it would help me so so much!

again, thank you.
Uniden BCT15X
rayzor_uk

Post by rayzor_uk »

Solder the positive “+” side of the 10uf Cap directly to the spot marked “DISC”…then solder the resistor in series off the cap (the orientation of the “resistor” is not important). Run your ground wire from the ground on your “jack” to one of the mounting screws on your board…and your wire coming off the “resistor” to the mono jack.
you need top and bottom of disc is on underside has shown in pick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

I got my bits and bobs for this today, I got other was advised to buy the guy in making together a 7.5k resistor, would that be alright?
Uniden BCT15X
rayzor_uk

Post by rayzor_uk »

i could of sent you the bits me self i would stick to the recomended
only thing i would change is solder wire direct to disc and use resistor and other on speaker jack plug less chance of a short on board unless you can insulate when sodered on bottom it is a easy job on that scanner
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

the bits only came to something like £2

see, i opening this post on mt phone in maplin.. the guy saw 5k to 10k resistor and he said, its bets to go inbetween hence the 7.5 hopefully it will be alright?

to add, I also got

I am assuming the tail end is ground from research, yet which of the two prongs do I solder the wire to?
Uniden BCT15X
rayzor_uk

Post by rayzor_uk »

it dont need groundin because its on metal plate only the centre wire used did youi get a nut to tighten that to body ?
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

hay, yea, The front plate screws off so its attached via the front, so I secure the wire to the centre pin?
Uniden BCT15X
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

which pin out if the three do i attach the tap wire too, but also attach the ground wire too?
Uniden BCT15X
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Daft question but what is this mod for.
I just bought a s/h one with this done.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Alan Pilot wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 19:38 Daft question but what is this mod for.
The output of the audio from a discriminator tap is pre-filtered and is often used to feed audio to a PC soundcard or other audio input to facilitate decoding of digital signals by dedicated software such as DSD. As this radio is analogue, it does not have this capability built in, hence the tap.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

Auldgeek wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 19:49
Alan Pilot wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 19:38 Daft question but what is this mod for.
The output of the audio from a discriminator tap is pre-filtered and is often used to feed audio to a PC soundcard or other audio input to facilitate decoding of digital signals by dedicated software such as DSD. As this radio is analogue, it does not have this capability built in, hence the tap.
Thanks for that i might look into that once i get the hang of the scanner.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

ive got a realistic pro 2004 and i cant find how to do mod ,there is 2006 and 2002 but cant find mine any were can it be done
love your familly
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

stanogs68 wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 20:21 ive got a realistic pro 2004 and i cant find how to do mod ,there is 2006 and 2002 but cant find mine any were can it be done
And what is a reason to write that in BCT15X thread?
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...