current standards of the foundation licencee..

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

current standards of the foundation licencee..

Post by bigpimp347 »

Just been sat listening on 27.555 for a bit of skip.
then a couple of locals came on chatting away, HF rigs 100w to chat to their mates down the road..
after about 15 minutes decided to QSY.. :) where to ? 28.550..
and guess what, never heard a callsign, sat there whistling, orla orla coca cola , swearing,

what a bunch of clowns, they did the foundation and it shows, not got a clue....

i think OfCom or whoever regulate the bands and allows these 'clubs' to pass so many numpties need a kick up their arses.!!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
BobRob
Banned
Banned

Re: current standards of the foundation licencee..

Post by BobRob »

....says the man who thinks that as long as co-ax is 50 Ohm it doesn't matter what you use.....
My Name is Conor, I am a liar who forgot I came from 11m SSB
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

it doesn't matter on coax, it all depends on the application..
you wouldn't use RG58 at UHF or SHF..
but good enough for a short run on HF..
after all how many amateur change their coax on their mobiles to L400 or westflex etc ??
oh hold on, but you say coax matters ??
so why are mobile mounts sold with ok RG58 and then the RG174 cables for through doors..
check that impedance bump..
obviously manufacturers know nothing either..!!

i changed my 827 from Beldon to RG213, didn't make no odds at 27mhz.
and as i say RG213 to Beldon on my coliner, no noticeable odds either..

still there theory and practise, i only talk practise..
NoiseBoy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by NoiseBoy »

They aren't hams, they are CB'ers and pirates that did the test to justify owning an illegal CB rig.

If someone passes their driving test and then goes out and doesn't indicate, speeds everywhere and purposely knocks old ladies over on zebra crossings does that mean the test is wrong?
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

how do you know that they are foundation licencees? they could just be pirates.

If they pass the course then they pass the course. You are taught proper operating procedure and they make sure that you understand it all and understand the band plans. If they pass and then decide to disregard everything, its hardly the club's fault.

It's like blaming a driving instructor for someone's dangerous driving. They passed the exam/test, it shows they have the capacity to operate properly.

edit: seems noiseboy had the same idea as me :lol:
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
PsiDOC
Call Sign: 163FKU

Post by PsiDOC »

There's good and there's bad in all walks of life. That said if no call signs were mentioned how do you know that they were licenced? Furthermore re: the kit We all know that some / most 27mhz SSB kit can be expanded to get up the 28.550 and beyond.

Psi
*Proud owner of a Cornflake Packet Amateur License and registered instructor in the art of gaining said license*
Icom IC-756 Pro III
Yaesu FT100D.
President Washington
President Adams
Tait T2020 70mhz
Baofeng UV-5R 2m / 70cm
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

they're all foundation licence holders.
often heard on ch19 talking about what chinese radio to buy next and channels to go on in their little net of dimwits.

if the test was a real test like years gone by there wouldn't be planks on the air, chatting crap on triple one minute then doing the same on 10mtrs without a callsign and showing total disregard to the bands and the hobby..

is there no wonder so many 'real' hams don't bother now days..
i don't bother because it's crap, but when you listen to the standards no days, no wonder it's crap..

it wouldn't surprise me if OfCom hadn't made the tests so easy as to get every fool on the air, so they can sell off CB, then when all the fools have spoilt amateur bands sell them off too.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Ooops!
Last edited by LeakyFeeder on 26 Aug 2012, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

Same old tired cliché.

The exam is easy, so everyone who takes it must me a numpty. If you don't think the exam is hard enough, tell someone who can change it.

If you don't think new licence holders know how to operate "properly", then perhaps some of the more experienced licence holders should actually turn their radios on and show the new licence holders how it's supposed to be done.

How are new licence holders supposed to know what's "the right or wrong way", when there is no one but new licence holders on the bands to talk to?

Don't moan, educate (or report) them.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

We have a group of the very same sort round Castleford-Fetherstone-Normanton.

They appear to spend their hard scrounged benefits on radio gear then clog the local repeater/ch19/550 with their **** poor operating and bad language... One often butts in simplex qso's to ask daft questions n make drunken comments...

Manys a time ive heard folk ask if hes been drinking when in 'rant on the repeater' mode {bnghd}

Best of all our drunken M3 friend berates the repeater keeper 'cos ur box keeps dropping signal'......
And if ye try saying owt to any of em then the dead carriers n grunting start....

Im not saying all are bad or but the ones that are sure make a bad impression.. :roll:
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

If you make the requirement so easy that even children barely out of nappies can pass the exams then along with the good there will be a dose of the bad, and a bit of the very bad getting through, the barrier to entry for the idiots has all but been removed, it's a fact, not a moan or a whinge, sadly many new entrants to the hobby are judged along with the bad in the hobby, I'd be mad about that if I'd just passed my foundation licence, not about the people passing comment, but the scrotes abusing the privilege a licence affords.
I believe the bad get through mainly because of the weekend turn up and pass culture, had they at least invested 10 weeks of their life into their training, then the chances are they'd have either dropped out through boredom, or at least value the hobby a little more. For those that may retort about how difficult it is to attend a course for 10 weeks, I don't, and won't, buy it :o
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
BobRob
Banned
Banned

Post by BobRob »

bigpimp347 wrote:it doesn't matter on coax, it all depends on the application..
you wouldn't use RG58 at UHF or SHF..
So it does matter then.....

bigpimp347 wrote: is there no wonder so many 'real' hams don't bother now days..
Goes on about "real hams" but sits enough on tripple 5 to know these are regulars. Maybe you should look in the mirror. You're just as bad as they are. Your excuse about being on 11m to see if there's a bit of skip is just hogwash because there are beacons on all amateur bands precisely for that purpose.
My Name is Conor, I am a liar who forgot I came from 11m SSB
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

northern35s wrote:I believe the bad get through mainly because of the weekend turn up and pass culture, had they at least invested 10 weeks of their life into their training, then the chances are they'd have either dropped out through boredom, or at least value the hobby a little more.
Any club that tries to require a minimum membership period before training can commence, or a minimum scheduled course length, gets attacked and ridiculed for being elitist and not helping new licensees into the fold.

The only people who can control the entry of new members and the level of skill they have at which they enter, are the people who set the exams.

b0llox the RSGB and Ofcom. If the RSGB want the level of entry set too low, then they should be willing to sort out (remove the licence of) the idiots they are letting in.
CookieRaider
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: M0RMO

Post by CookieRaider »

northern35s wrote:If you make the requirement so easy that even children barely out of nappies can pass the exams then along with the good there will be a dose of the bad, and a bit of the very bad getting through, the barrier to entry for the idiots has all but been removed, it's a fact, not a moan or a whinge, sadly many new entrants to the hobby are judged along with the bad in the hobby, I'd be mad about that if I'd just passed my foundation licence, not about the people passing comment, but the scrotes abusing the privilege a licence affords.
I believe the bad get through mainly because of the weekend turn up and pass culture, had they at least invested 10 weeks of their life into their training, then the chances are they'd have either dropped out through boredom, or at least value the hobby a little more. For those that may retort about how difficult it is to attend a course for 10 weeks, I don't, and won't, buy it :o
Probably the reason i have used the radio twice in the last few months, something i wanted badly years ago and now have it.... don't use it.
Winner of the coveted 'In Before The Lock' competition 07 Jan 2013
Winner of the coveted 'In Before The Lock' competition 24 June 2013
inaugural champion of the coveted "Putting sex before trivial internet games" award November 2013
grahamwilman01
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0CSU

Post by grahamwilman01 »

bigpimp347 wrote:Just been sat listening on 27.555 for a bit of skip.
then a couple of locals came on chatting away, HF rigs 100w to chat to their mates down the road..
after about 15 minutes decided to QSY.. :) where to ? 28.550..
and guess what, never heard a callsign, sat there whistling, orla orla coca cola , swearing,

what a bunch of clowns, they did the foundation and it shows, not got a clue....

i think OfCom or whoever regulate the bands and allows these 'clubs' to pass so many numpties need a kick up their arses.!!
So you get a few idiots around your area and you tar all of us with the same brush typical. If it bothers you so much complain to ofcom coz you've obviously mistaken us for someone who gives a sh*t. trolling score 0