Surveillance

Scanning radio frequencies in Wales
billieskeggs

Re: Surveillance

Post by billieskeggs »

just read this and at the same time as it makes an intersting hobby hunting the hunters..

are you not slightly worried they may not be playing along the ruels of the law.

you know what they say if something looks suspicious then report it even if its legit..

i personally would be talking with the authority to make sure all is above board
26TM530
QTH: Romford, Essex (JO01CN)
TTI TCB-550, Maplin Special Mag mount(Mobile)
Fidelity CB2001FM - 18ft Silver Rod (Base)

-
Wants:
Mass Dx-5000
President Lincoln
A Ham Ticket
-
Needs:
Someone with a tall ladder so i can get my antenna up :D
alannah
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by alannah »

billieskeggs wrote:just read this and at the same time as it makes an intersting hobby hunting the hunters..

are you not slightly worried they may not be playing along the ruels of the law.

you know what they say if something looks suspicious then report it even if its legit..

i personally would be talking with the authority to make sure all is above board

I know what you mean but the main problem of course is that its not legal to listen to the frequency they are using - you could possibly get away with it if you had a UK General (Simple UK) license but even then it could be argued that your actively monitoring transmissions when your not the intended recipient.

The other factor is that i'm not 100 percent sure who these people are, as has been confirmed by BB earlier in the thread (and he knows what he's talking about!) the DWP (DSS) and HM Revenue and Customs (Customs and Excise) have been using these frequencies for years, so thats probably who it is and they've obviously had training for radio use and in covert surveillance techniques

But it could be Private Detectives, Drug Dealers, members of the local Mafia etc, and I wouldn't want to get involved to be honest, i've got enough problems of my own and in any case I wouldn't want to drive them underground so to speak as theres little to listen to these days as it is.

You never know they may be watching me one day and at least I will know about it :D
billieskeggs

Post by billieskeggs »

yeah agreed.

however im sure you have the right to scan the "free" air waves especially as a hobby ?

but i know ill have these FQ's stored in my radio so i can see if im being followed
26TM530
QTH: Romford, Essex (JO01CN)
TTI TCB-550, Maplin Special Mag mount(Mobile)
Fidelity CB2001FM - 18ft Silver Rod (Base)

-
Wants:
Mass Dx-5000
President Lincoln
A Ham Ticket
-
Needs:
Someone with a tall ladder so i can get my antenna up :D
smoggy07
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by smoggy07 »

billieskeggs wrote:yeah agreed.

however im sure you have the right to scan the "free" air waves especially as a hobby ?
No unfortunately we can only legally listen in to broadcasts meant for general listening i.e. cb, ham, fm/am broadcast radio stations and maybe at a push the marrine band (as far as I know it is still against the law to listen to aircraft but the law turns a blind eye to that part of the hobby in most cases)

It`s also against the law to intercept transmissions not ment for you and it is against the law to listen in on a freq that you either dont have a licence to TX on or dont have the freq owner permission to listen in as well

You can however legally listen into any transmission if you do have a licence to TX there or have the permission of the licence holder and you can even LISTEN IN TO THE EMERGENCY SERVICES LEGALLY if the sec of state gives you permission (and that will NEVER happen lol)

That said though you can legally grow cannabis/skunk in the uk if the home office gives you permission, again though that will never happen lol
26TM234
alannah
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by alannah »

Surveillance taking place again on 173.0625 Mhz, ctcss 151.4 at 07.15 am. Car to car comms, two males talking, following a white van with a trailer through Caerphilly.

Three men with hi viz vests on, in the van.

Out of range at 07:35 as 'convoy' went over and down Nantgarw hill towards A470, in direction of Cardiff.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

If you believe them to still be operating "outside of the law", It may be prudent to record the comms over the space of a day and if it proves wrong-doing or a procedural lapses then anonymously send a copy to the police, along with a brief note explaining your findings and what you believe they are doing wrong. It's then down to plod to investigate and decide if action needs taken, absolving you of the responsibility to act.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
alannah
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by alannah »

MrWeetabix wrote:If you believe them to still be operating "outside of the law", It may be prudent to record the comms over the space of a day and if it proves wrong-doing or a procedural lapses then anonymously send a copy to the police, along with a brief note explaining your findings and what you believe they are doing wrong. It's then down to plod to investigate and decide if action needs taken, absolving you of the responsibility to act.

Not a bad idea, I will have to try and rig up a recording device. I have the number plates of the 2 cars engaged in the surveillance. I entered them into a few of those 'Check if a car is stolen' websites and one came up as described but the other one didn't seem to exist.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

Could it be DWP following some one on benifits thats working on the side or something like that? (sorry if this has allready been said but the thread is long and have not read it all for a few months)
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

probably DWP yeah.

Don;t get me wrong, I have no issue with these people going after benefits cheats (it should happen more often!), but you can't do wrong in order to catch someone doing wrong. it's like a Camera Van being parked on double yellow lines while snapping people for speeding... wrong wrong wrong.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
alannah
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by alannah »

thelad wrote:Could it be DWP following some one on benifits thats working on the side or something like that? (sorry if this has allready been said but the thread is long and have not read it all for a few months)
I think your correct, it must be the DWP - its a very poor way of going about thing though.
Scully91
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Scully91 »

I know who these people are and you should be ashamed of yourselves with some of the talk about telling people and doing this and that.....or is that internet bravado? And also why would you want to spook them and let them know WE know and therefore mess it up in the future? Are you radio buffs or attention seekers?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Scully91 wrote: Are you radio buffs or attention seekers?
They're practically historical figures by now, mate! :)
punkrocker62
Call Sign: MM1BRH

Post by punkrocker62 »

Scully91 wrote:I know who these people are and you should be ashamed of yourselves with some of the talk about telling people and doing this and that.....or is that internet bravado? And also why would you want to spook them and let them know WE know and therefore mess it up in the future? Are you radio buffs or attention seekers?
Said the time lord! :shock:
Baofeng UV5R / UV5X / UVB5 [Chirp]
NEWSKY RTL2832U / R820T2 SDR >> Ham It Up v1.2 >> [HDSDR]
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

He must have crystal balls
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
HUNGERFORD
Regular
Regular

Post by HUNGERFORD »

Hi did anyone find out who was on 173.0625 151.4 ctss ive just had 2 or 3 vehicles going around stevenage area in Hertfordshire following someone on that frequency and ctss tone.