The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV that was found in a loft

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Re: The Jentec Cobra Transceiver MKV that was found in a lof

Post by Ashtec »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not selling it yet radio pete it's got to have some new case's and a front yet but it will be up for sale when ive finshed with it.
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx

Post by radio pete »

PAUL27UK wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im not selling it yet radio pete it's got to have some new case's and a front yet but it will be up for sale when ive finshed with it.
I was joking, if you change the front mind you dont damage the inlay as they are not as strong as the cobra ones some where plastic over paper/card and tear very easy
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Can any one tell me if the meter is right in this Mk5 as the one i see in the MK1-2 have a different looking inlay...
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

Often John Nugent replaced the meter inlay with an orange paper one - mostly when the SWR function had been removed. Whether it was 'every' one he did... I don't know. Radio Pete will probably know more.
Ugs
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

I see...................

I have the meter from the so called jentec 360 here with the orange bit in it and as the 360 wasnt a jentec ive removed it and i was thinking about puting it in to the MK5 jentec but all the pic's on the net and c work's have of the MK5's they just have the standard Uniden meter's in them with no moded inlay but the MK2's have so i dont know :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jentec S-Meter

standard Uniden S-Meter in the MK5
RD250
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RD250 »

Because the 148/360 uses a basic RF voltage detector for sampling the Tx power I can't see the point of having a power meter with a readout in Watts because what you see on the meter (for a given forward Tx power) will depend heavily on the VSWR and also what point of the standing wave the RF detector samples the RF waveform.

Maybe this meter mod was dropped on the later modded version radios because they proved to be too inaccurate (for the reasons above)

In a way it's surprising Uniden didn't find a way of sharing the FWD power output of the VSWR coupler (feeds to the CAL pot via a switch) to drive the Tx RF meter (and junked the standalone Tx detector circuit) as this would have given a more stable meter action wrt forward power as the CAL arm of the VSWR detector will sample the forward power.
If they had done this then it would have been worthwhile having a power readout on the meter.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

Yes you are right there RD i could never see what the power in the S-Meter was all about..................

Still i dose tell us it giveing some RF out the back................
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by radio pete »

now one thing you need to remember is that the radio was being sold to the likes of CB users more than Hams & the meter is only relative power I fitted non SWR meters to all my Mk5s like the adams & St 9s use no power ind, John uped the power a bit so he gave it a power reading a bit like buying a capri @ the the time with 140MPH speedo but never got there :o
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

radio pete wrote:now one thing you need to remember is that the radio was being sold to the likes of CB users more than Hams & the meter is only relative power I fitted non SWR meters to all my Mk5s like the adams & St 9s use no power ind, John uped the power a bit so he gave it a power reading a bit like buying a capri @ the the time with 140MPH speedo but never got there :o

140MPH speedo in 1000cc car's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I see were your comeing from with that but did the MK5 have these power moded S-meter's in or was it just a standard Uniden meter.....................

There radio pete.............
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by radio pete »

Ashtec wrote:
radio pete wrote:now one thing you need to remember is that the radio was being sold to the likes of CB users more than Hams & the meter is only relative power I fitted non SWR meters to all my Mk5s like the adams & St 9s use no power ind, John uped the power a bit so he gave it a power reading a bit like buying a capri @ the the time with 140MPH speedo but never got there :o

140MPH speedo in 1000cc car's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I see were your comeing from with that but did the MK5 have these power moded S-meter's in or was it just a standard Uniden meter.....................

There radio pete.............
bog standard meter nowt special @all (my Capri was a 1.6 you know!!! all of 85 showing 105 ) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the info radio pete.................
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by radio pete »

Ashtec wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the info radio pete.................
not a problem Paul
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

A question for radio pete. When John and yourself were building the "Jentec" radio's did you at any time supply them with "Jentec" branded microphones? I ask this because CBG found this link to a "Jentec" branded microphone on eBay. Is this a genuine item, or is someone else trying to cash in????
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JENTEC-Coffin-Mic ... 0620605083
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

astradyne wrote:A question for radio pete. When John and yourself were building the "Jentec" radio's did you at any time supply them with "Jentec" branded microphones? I ask this because CBG found this link to a "Jentec" branded microphone on eBay. Is this a genuine item, or is someone else trying to cash in????
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JENTEC-Coffin-Mic ... 0620605083

I was told there astradyne that the Jentec radio's was supplied with Astatic 575-M6 Ceramic Teardrop's with the scan function fitted to them how true this is i dont know..................

But it is an interesting question to ask as i would also like to know this info.........
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Me too. It looks like a standard coffin style microphone with a "Jentec" badge. It looks pretty new too. I'm wandering if Cobshopz are up to their old tricks of selling stuff via other sellers/different seller ID. They seem pretty keen on cashing in on the Jentec legacy as if they have some God given right to do it. Pete will know :D

EDIT. Just had another look and the wording has now been changed. It now states itself to be a "fake". Maybe someone has been in touch with the seller. Still, if John or Pete had a patent or copyright on the name "Jentec" there could be legal issues :o
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...